Ecological Footprint

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES
    FOOD 1.2
    MOBILITY 0
    SHELTER 1
    GOODS/SERVICES 0.8
    TOTAL FOOTPRINT 3

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 4.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.7 PLANETS.

• CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES
    FOOD 1.2
    MOBILITY 0.1
    SHELTER 0.6
    GOODS/SERVICES 0.4
    TOTAL FOOTPRINT 2.3

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 5.3 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.3 PLANETS.

When I'm on my death bed am I really going to wish I spent more time in the office?

• No, it's not really. But it's a useful tool to make you think about the issues involved in generating your footprint. If a few people stop, take the time to do this quiz and it makes them re-evalute what they waste and use then that's more valuable then any level of accurancy in the number it churns out at the end.

When I'm on my death bed am I really going to wish I spent more time in the office?

• Quote from Atomik

The quiz is bollocks. It doesn't even take into account consumption of disposable goods. It doesn't measure water usage. It's not even a meaningful rough estimate.

^^^^Absolutely. It would not surprise me if this is a PETA website .

• Nice :D

• Quote from Mav

No, it's not really. But it's a useful tool to make you think about the issues involved in generating your footprint.

.... or to lull you into a false sense of security that you can change the world by making a few superficial changes in your lifestyle.

• Quote from Atomik

.... or to lull you into a false sense of security that you can change the world by making a few superficial changes in your lifestyle.

True. But if everyone in this country decided to make even superficial changes to their lifestyle then that would begin the process of helping. Most people don't care to the point at which they leave all their lights on and all their electrical equipment on standby... though i doubt that's the case of anyone here. So i suppose it's a bit pointless in this place...

• The most revealing thing about the quiz is that the people who wrote it have a great deal to learn. Remember a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
    The quiz does not take into account that although my house is about 17 squares big, it is an old house probably 90-100 years old. Nor does it take into account the high level of real recycling and rejuvenation of artefacts.
    I have several home made FM antennas made from an old "box kite" type TV antenna.
    Furthermore, it does not take into account that most of the furniture is second-hand, repaired or home made.

• Quote from Mav

True. But if everyone in this country decided to make even superficial changes to their lifestyle then that would begin the process of helping.

Ah, well that's where we disagree.

Most people don't care to the point at which they leave all their lights on and all their electrical equipment on standby...

Seriously dude... that stuff doesn't matter a damn. Look outside at the streetlights, shop lights, shop doors left wide open in winter blasting heat into the street, energy wasted producing shit we throw away five minutes later, energy wasted moving goods half way around the world that could be made down the street. People ain't gonna change a thing by turning off a few lights. The real desire for change has to come from above.

• Pssst….Atomik….you’re turning into Coyote…
    :harhar:
    Only kidding, I agree. ‘Tis a load of shite. I think it’s a shame, really, because a lot of people really do care and want to change things but naively follow what they are told is the best thing to do. Hence well-meaning people not seeing the irony of switching off their phone charger at the wall before chowing down on packaged Guatemalan chicken at their Ikea dining table.

• Quote from Atomik

Seriously dude... that stuff doesn't matter a damn. Look outside at the streetlights, shop lights, shop doors left wide open in winter blasting heat into the street, energy wasted producing shit we throw away five minutes later, energy wasted moving goods half way around the world that could be made down the street. People ain't gonna change a thing by turning off a few lights. The real desire for change has to come from above.

You don't have to tell me, especially on the subject of "local" produce in supermarkets. Why would I want my fresh Welsh beef shipped to france for slaughter, to germany for packaging and then superchilled for a week or two while it sits in storage at Tesco's megadepot somewhere in England? I wouldn't, so I stroll down the road once a week to buy my food from the farmers market.

We live in a society entrenched in laziness and comfort and taking things for granted. All i'm saying is, if you start thinking about saving energy and the future of the planet then maybe (and i know this is a little optimistic) you'll start wondering what else you can do to help.

It's just about raising awareness. Though i'll admit, i'm not exactly sure what my reasoning is behind trying to raise awareness here :insane:

• Atomic... this is the kinda attitude the majority of people have. It does matter what the individual does. Combined, it makes a huge difference. Giving up on the 'local level' means that you take away from what the collective can do. If every or a large proportion of people, just did the tiny things. As a whole it would make a BIG difference.

I can agree i think this 'test' is not that accurate, but i also think it indicates a trend. I think some have had a result that suggests more about their 'bad habits' than they would like to admit. I CAN SAY THIS CUZ MY 'FOOTPRINT' IS OF one PLANET :angel: . Over one, pushing onto two maybe three [planets] is saying something about you that is uncomftable. Regardless how you feel about this 'test'. I think it indicates YOUR personal 'TREND'. So give it up and confess, what you impress onto this planet, even if the 'test' is as you may say is 'bollocks'. Is worth sharing.

Don't be shy.

• Quote from Sthenno

Pssst….Atomik….you’re turning into Coyote…
    :harhar:

:mad::harhar:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from matthew

Atomic... this is the kinda attitude the majority of people have. It does matter what the individual does. If every or a large proportion of people, just did the tiny things. As a whole it would make a BIG difference.

I can agree i think this 'test' is not that accurate, but i also think it indicates a trend. I think some have had a result that suggests more about their 'bad habits' than they would like to admit. I CAN SAY THIS CUZ MY 'FOOTPRINT' IS OF one PLANET :angel: . Over one, pushing onto two maybe three [planets] is saying something about you that is uncomftable.

However, if there less people then the resource and ecological overshoot would be cut down. So more "planets" would be okay... though it's always better to have a low impact even if you are able to have a higher one.

• Quote from Mav

However, if there less people then the resource and ecological overshoot would be cut down. So more "planets" would be okay... though it's always better to have a low impact even if you are able to have a higher one.

Less people ?.. erm i don't know what path you are going down with that one ?. What do you mean.

• Tis interesting that the whole "ecological footrpint" thing is seen as a reason to cut down on personal consumption rather than the number of consumers.....when the number of consumers has far greater affects than just ecological footprint; it adds to the need for social regimentation (you dont need traffic lights in the countryside, for example) and impacts on cheapness of labour ('excess' workers means the rich can keep salaries low for everyone except them....which is why you see transnationals moving cheap labour to the third world, for example) as well.

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

which is why you see transnationals moving cheap labour to the third world, for example) as well.

Would you not like to see 'poor' countries benefit from a increase in there wages and standard of living. Even if it goes onto mirror something that is a little 'bog standard'. i think China maybe a good e.g of that. All this talk about ''No.s of people'' is scareing me.. I't will me'' 'expanding national territory soon'' :eek:

• For our present level of technology, if you were to roll out good standards of living with ideal consumption and recycling and confortable living conditions then you're have to have a population of about 2.5billion, we haven't had a population that size since the 1930s. The simple truth of the matter is, we're making the world very top heavy in ecological terms, there are too many consumers exploiting the environment, we all need to be fed, clothed and shelter. You can't ensure equality in these things with such large numbers of people without utterly destroying the natural environment. This is evidenced by what developed nations are doing to the planet to ensure their "quality of life".

I'd prefer to see the wealth of the world decreased. That is to say the very wealth would be made much less wealthy, there is only so much money you need after all.

• Quote from Mav

For our present level of technology, if you were to roll out good standards of living with ideal consumption and recycling and confortable living conditions then you're have to have a population of about 2.5billion, we haven't had a population that size since the 1930s. The simple truth of the matter is, we're making the world very top heavy in ecological terms, there are too many consumers exploiting the environment, we all need to be fed, clothed and shelter. You can't ensure equality in these things with such large numbers of people without utterly destroying the natural environment. This is evidenced by what developed nations are doing to the planet to ensure their "quality of life".

I'd prefer to see the wealth of the world decreased. That is to say the very wealth would be made much less wealthy, there is only so much money you need after all.

Nicaragua votes to outlaw abortion:

Nicaragua last night voted to outlaw all forms of abortion, including operations to save a pregnant woman's life, after a campaign by the Catholic church.

The main political parties supported a bill establishing jail sentences of six to 30 years for women who terminate their pregnancies and doctors who perform the procedure. The proposal was fast-tracked through parliament in the run-up to a presidential election next month, prompting accusations that it was an opportunistic vote-grabbing ploy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1932784,00.html

I appreciate Nicaragua has a low population.

But religiosity is widespread.. especially in the 'developing' words.

I don't think you can get Africans to stop having more kids than they can support. Putting a strain on the worlds population and resources.

When you have that sort of thing going on.. it sort of becomes another question of religous proportions [quite literaly].

I understand that the amounts of people are a issue. I just think how a reduction in people, is possible or feasable. With out scareing the pants off me.

Population explosions scare me.
    Artificial population implosions scare me.

I don't have a easy answer for this one.

• Quote from Atomik

ah HA! :angel:

I'm a travelin' woman, I got a travelin' mind:wiggle:
    -mattie delaney 'down the big road blues'

• Quote from matthew

I don't have a easy answer for this one.

I shouldn't worry too much about answering this question. Eventually someone's (probably our friendly allies) going to start a war that answer this one for us. I'm just hoping I don't die.

• Quote from Mav

I shouldn't worry too much about answering this question. Eventually someone's (probably our friendly allies) going to start a war that answer this one for us. I'm just hoping I don't die.

:) my my my... you ARE cynical. It will prob' more like rampant bird related disease or infectios diseases such as aids.

All ofcourse orchestrated by ou 'freindly allies'. ;)

• Quote from matthew

:) my my my... you ARE cynical. It will prob' more like rampant bird related disease or infectios diseases such as aids.

All ofcourse orchestrated by ou 'freindly allies'. ;)

Bah, conspiracy theories. I don't think our fraternal capitalist allies are trying to bring about the destruction of the world (though there are some evangelical fanctions who believe that the faster the world is wrecked the sooner the rapture will come about), or there's some new world order controlling their actions or whatever.

Nature might be trying to kill us off, but that's the extent of it.

• Quote from Mav

Bah, conspiracy theories. I don't think our fraternal capitalist allies are trying to bring about the destruction of the world (though there are some evangelical fanctions who believe that the faster the world is wrecked the sooner the rapture will come about), or there's some new world order controlling their actions or whatever.

Nature might be trying to kill us off, but that's the extent of it.

I must have missed your sarcasm again.. sorry.

• Quote from matthew

Would you not like to see 'poor' countries benefit from a increase in there wages and standard of living.

That "increased" standard of living has come at the cost of massive bias in resource use; dont you think its a little disengenuous to offer it to the rest of the world if it aint sustainable for those who already have it?

And thats before we get to the environmental impact of supplying it as a short-term "bribe"....

Even if it goes onto mirror something that is a little 'bog standard'. i think China maybe a good e.g of that. All this talk about ''No.s of people'' is scareing me.. I't will me'' 'expanding national territory soon'' :eek:

:rolleyes: