Unseasonable Weather

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from Mav

Too true. The things is, most people don't seem to get to the stage of even thinking about how their every day actions effect anything in the larger scheme of things. My housemates keep asking me what we're going to use our compost for, why don't we just chuck the waste in the bin. And i keep fishing things out of the bin that should go to recycling :frust:

I think people have far mor pressing pressures on them.. but it is if you think outside your own bubble. Quite easy to be more 'enviromentaly aware'. My freinds think i am a bit 'soft and obstinate' .. but fuck um. ;)

Legislation may be the only way to really bring about effective change. But I don't think there's the political will to make the decisions that are required.

Big Brother comes to town.. and you get a back lash from a large majority of the people that embrace the more 'greener' issues. If that is not to much of as generalisation :rolleyes:

The main problem with our political system is the only thing it's about is getting re-elected. So all policies are short term, who care's what happens in 10 years? This government probably won't be in power then so it won't be their problem, let someone else deal with it.

Well i don't quite have a cynical attitude to this goverment .. but i can appreciate it is not always the main criteria of some goverments or partys. Saying that even the most greenest party [even the Green party] are no gaurantee of improvement..imho. If you think 10 years maybe 5 is ''short term'' then i agree with you. Though if the proposed new nuclear power plant roll out goes ahead [more than likely] and provisions for pipelines to support our gas needs [new one from Finland] are anything to go by... Then they do indeed think of things into the future. Saying that this is for the economical benefit/security of the coutntry i suppose. Not the environment. I don't think we should ignore the provisions for 'renewables'.. but you can still be cynical and chalk it up to ''economical benefit/security ''

Right?

I sort of agree with you.. with a few caveates [1. being less cynical ;) ].

• Quote from matthew

My freinds think i am a bit 'soft and obstinate' .. but fuck um. ;)

I think my friends just think i'm giving them a hard time!

Quote from matthew

Big Brother comes to town.. and you get a back lash from a large majority of the people that embrace the more 'greener' issues. If that is not to much of as generalisation :rolleyes:

I figured that I'd get the Big Brother thing, in truth my main concern is the protection of the environment and so the ensurance that our species may still be alive in some serious way into the next century.

Quote from matthew

Well i don't quite have a cynical attitude to this goverment ..

I'd love to be less of a cynic about the administration. I'm very pro-governance, i think it's extremely important in a large, complex, modern society. I just think that the way we run government now doesn't benefit the people quite as much as it is intended to.

Through the course of my life I've watched a stupendous number of public services be sold off and downsized and i've seen no benefit to us. The ones that shock me the most are things that should never be privatised (Like DERA becoming QinetiQ).

Big talk, with no real action. All government facilites should have energy saving policies in operation and the only two i can think of off the top of my head that do are MoD Abbeywood and the WAG Merthyr site (though the latter is totally messed up)

When I'm on my death bed am I really going to wish I spent more time in the office?

• Quote from Naeni

We're all doomed! :down::(:death::rip::sos:

nobody else I know except peoples on this forum gives two hoots about this kind of thing :(

I think I can agree with that!

So many people I've known don't give a damn about it.... I know I've only just joined the forum but this kind of thing worries me :(

• It should worry everyone. My favourite piece of news of the week was the release of a report which "finally laid to rest the final arguements against global warming" - Tony Blair. It's possibly the most ridiculous statement i've ever heard any politician ever make, since the turn of the century no peer reviews papers have ever come up with any evidence supporting a case against global warming!

The problem for most people is they don't think they can help or they feel like it's too much of an inconvenience to bother with. All it's about is making them see that it'll be a lot more inconvenient when their house is under water and so's all the farm land.

When I'm on my death bed am I really going to wish I spent more time in the office?

• Quote from Mav

It should worry everyone. My favourite piece of news of the week was the release of a report which "finally laid to rest the final arguements against global warming" - Tony Blair. It's possibly the most ridiculous statement i've ever heard any politician ever make, since the turn of the century no peer reviews papers have ever come up with any evidence supporting a case against global warming!

The problem for most people is they don't think they can help or they feel like it's too much of an inconvenience to bother with. All it's about is making them see that it'll be a lot more inconvenient when their house is under water and so's all the farm land.

I've always always wondered and never ever understood why people AREN'T bothered by it. I've come to the conclusion that if they can't see it and aren't being directly affected by it, it's not considered a problem; their expensive cars, exotic holidays abroad, foreign foods and fancy clothes made thousands of miles away are far more important than the future of an unborn generation... Sadly, many people preach in 'here and now' terms and so that would make them right...
    But yeah, the weather... you'd have thought after all the hurricanes and flooding across the world, that would have kicked governments into doing something???? It would have at least made people think, oh crap, let's do something about it?????? But no.
    So I don't think a hot summer and lots of rain in UK is gonna make people act..

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting