Unseasonable Weather

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I reckon we're going to have some problems in the coming year, and if not 2007 then definately 2008. It's been unnaturally warm up until this week in October, record breaking temperatures I believe.

I've heard many concerning reports of new growth happening. Plants will be wasting energy in advance of winter that they should be using next spring. This will almost certainly have dire consequences, maybe not for next years growing season, but if the trend continues and spring onset's earlier and winter later again next year then the 08 growing season may be desasterously effected!

Major effects are already being seen in Siberian and Alaskan Boreal forests, where the warming is already far adavnced on that which we're feeling in more temperate climate zones! :eek: Panic!!!

When I'm on my death bed am I really going to wish I spent more time in the office?

• Ah well, could be worse. We could also be ruled by a ruthless politboro that knows nothing of the plight of the people or our impending doom and we could all be subject to leading lives where we're subject to innumerable forms of external control... oh wait...

When I'm on my death bed am I really going to wish I spent more time in the office?

• Quote from Mav

Ah well, could be worse. We could also be ruled by a ruthless politboro that knows nothing of the plight of the people or our impending doom..

I'd imagine they know more about it than you do... :whistle:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4854886.stm
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/erdp/schemes/es/default.htm
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/climatechange/index.htm etc etc etc.

think what it's gonna be like 20 years from now

I'm fairly panicked.. but i think because we may get better but other countries will get worse and before you say it.. Not just America ;)

• Quote from matthew

I'd imagine they know more about it than you do... :whistle:

Some people that work for the government might know more about it than i do. But I am an environmental scientist, so i do know quite a lot about this situation and government policy towards it.

Cheers for the info though :)

• tis very scary and theres no way to escape it, im gonna go for the direct action line of things mixed in with a bit of moving away from this place called britain with its silly leaders

• Quote from Mav

Some people that work for the government might know more about it than i do. But I am an environmental scientist, so i do know quite a lot about this situation and government policy towards it.

No problem, i was just responding to your sweeping statement.

''politboro that knows nothing of the plight of the people or our impending doom..''

Ofcourse they know and are aware... and more than likely know more than you and mos' def' more than me.:)

• The worrying thing is that Britain could be one of teh few places that will not experience global warming if the polar icecaps continue to melt. The arguement goes that if this colder water moves south at sufficient volume if will force the warmer salty current of the Gulf Stream onto the sea bed so it won't affect surface temperatures on land. So think how cold other countries on this latitude get in winter (Canada, Russia) and stock up on thermal undies! :panic:
    M

• Quote from mithra

The worrying thing is that Britain could be one of teh few places that will not experience global warming if the polar icecaps continue to melt. The arguement goes that if this colder water moves south at sufficient volume if will force the warmer salty current of the Gulf Stream onto the sea bed so it won't affect surface temperatures on land. So think how cold other countries on this latitude get in winter (Canada, Russia) and stock up on thermal undies! :panic:
    M

Won't we still be flooded ?.

• Quote from Darkflame

Only the lowlands - run to the hills!

I think i am relatively safe. I live in Leicester. I think London will be 'hit'. Watch for the house prices in the unaffected area to shoot up.

Also renaisance in high rise council estates..with sea front views.

• Quote from matthew

Won't we still be flooded ?.

Oh we've got that to look forward to as well:rolleyes: ! Nottingham is planning on being a coastal resort by the end of the century.

M

• Quote from mithra

Oh we've got that to look forward to as well:rolleyes: ! Nottingham is planning on being a coastal resort by the end of the century.

M

I'll think i'll stay in Leicester if you don't mind... :)

• Quote from Mav

What sort of enviromental scientist are you? I also know a heck of a lot about this situation and the governments policy.

There is a general warming trend in the climate, however there are so many variables it makes it really difficult to estimate future climate change. Being a scientist you are probably aware of the huge uncertainties that exist in the climate models. Personally I don't think we are doomed as such. Things would get uncomfortable though.

It really gets to me that the planet is dying. How the systems will react to such a sudden change is still beyond our own understanding though. It is time to reflect if we still have a choice to have the world as it is now or changed to a different world. If we cut all our carbon emmisions to the minimum tonight it would still take decades for us to see the benifits. This warming trend will continue for a good few years yet.

As to the weather being unseasonable. I agree that it has been a lot warmer than the climatic average. Don't forget that the climatic average is based on temperatures that have been observed over the last couple of hundred years. So there is a lot of uncertainty in that. As for the storms. I totally expect them at this time of year.

Our weather is dominated by the climatic average of the difference in pressure bettween the Azores and Iceland. This is known as the North Atlantic Ocillation. This affects where the storm track lies. So we either get Cold and dry or Mild and wet winters. I guess this winter is going to be of the mild and wet variety unlike last year which was of the cold and dry.

Matt

• If you look at the long term model of glacial periods and interglacial periods it seems that we should be about to enter a glacial phase very soon. I can't help but wonder if what we are seeing is more the calm before the storm and has merely been modified by mans actions instead of caused. Just thinking out loud here...

• Quote from Dan

writing to anybody who has power pressuring them

Waste of paper Dan...

Saw a report which said, we are using up 3 planets worth of resources in the UK alone.

Its all set for doom.

• Quote from matthew

No problem, i was just responding to your sweeping statement.

''politboro that knows nothing of the plight of the people or our impending doom..''

Ofcourse they know and are aware... and more than likely know more than you and mos' def' more than me.:)

Sorry, I'm not actually a raving looney... well, i suppose that depends of the context :P. I often forget that my favoured form of satyr doesn't come over well in electronic form :o though if I said I thought the establishment had our best interests at heart I wouldn't be being exactly truthful.

Quote from mithra

The worrying thing is that Britain could be one of teh few places that will not experience global warming if the polar icecaps continue to melt. The arguement goes that if this colder water moves south at sufficient volume if will force the warmer salty current of the Gulf Stream onto the sea bed so it won't affect surface temperatures on land. So think how cold other countries on this latitude get in winter (Canada, Russia) and stock up on thermal undies! :panic:
    M

Even if the Gulf Stream collapses we will still suffer effects of climate change, the GS only transfers one fifth of the energy to the poles that is transmitted by the atmosphere. We might be better off in terms of biodiversity, in that the limitation of temperature change would mean less migration of species (which because of roads and cities being everywhere will result in the loss of many species when they come to barriers they cannot cross). But the Earth system is a global one, so we will most likely see changes in rainfall patterns, ocean surface currents, fish stock distributions and many other things besides.

Basically I work with Sustainability, and my background's Env GeoSci and Ecology.

You are quite right about the extremely complex nature of the climate system and the forcings that are operating of it and I completely agree with you. However, I prefer to aire on the side of caution when it comes to this kind of thing.

The permafrost is melting, all you have to do is look at the drunken forests in the worlds boreal regions or see the methane bubbling out of freshly formed siberian lakes to come to that conclusion. Arctic winter ice cover has reduced 30% since 1970. These high latitude regions are showing us the effects that will begin to occur in more southerly regions as the warming process progresses.

The North Atlantic Ocillation has been responsible for a lot of fuss in the last few years, it's what's brought about the scare of the gulf stream collapsing IMO. The increased rainfall on N Europe has melt more fresh water coming into the the N Atlantic, which has given the appearance of higher rates of arctic melting than is in fact the case. So when (or if) the oscillation switches back, which it hasn't done for about 30 years, we may have some rest bite and pressure will be taken off the gulf stream - though that'll probably result in increased Western European and sub polar warming! *gets a head ache just thinking about it*

It's not all doom and gloom though. As ice cover at the poles has decreased, cloud cover has increased, for some reason, this seems to be ofsetting the loss of ice in reflecting sunlight into space :)

• i no longer have no interist in the human race or sociaty its self you guys on uk are the closest i come to talking to others. for a meany years now ive screamed over and over stop your goung to crash us but to no avil. so now i keep close the poeple how agree with me or make me smile and im siting back and whating for the end. and when it comes i shal be laughing my tits of and danceing.
    live today as your last remember those below you love those near you and remember that mother nature nos wots going on and shescomeing to take it back

• perhaps it's giving us a little to much credit to say that nature know's what's going on. the life of our civilization is but a blinking of her eye and a rapid (in her terms) immune responce will probably wipe us out as if we were a common cold.

we are truly insignificant.

• Quote from Mav

Sorry, I'm not actually a raving looney... well, i suppose that depends of the context :P. I often forget that my favoured form of satire doesn't come over well in electronic form :o though if I said I thought the establishment had our best interests at heart I wouldn't be being exactly truthful.

I'm not a big fan of satire.
    I did think you were a loony.
    Thanks for clearing it up .

To be honest i STILL think you are being unfair, but this thread is not about this ;) .So i will shut my mouth.

• Quote from Mav

perhaps it's giving us a little to much credit to say that nature know's what's going on. the life of our civilization is but a blinking of her eye and a rapid (in her terms) immune responce will probably wipe us out as if we were a common cold.

we are truly insignificant.

so insignificant yet so bloody annoying. ok im part of this so called civalised human race yes ive done things that have hurt others but why is it that [im asumming] every one on this forum and others are shouting yet no ones listioning. why is it so hard for people to relise that we are all one mass jig saw puzzle that we all have a part to fit. why do poeple couse climete damege and then seat back and complane when it all goes wrong why when i see every day poeple complaining about the weather and moaning that some one should do something about it. why should it be up to anyone else theres a lote we can each all do yet a vast majoraty refuse to. why is it that when a vast magoraty shout no to such things as nucaler power over usage of electrisaty the mass reduction in oil etc .etc. thay ignore and carry on. there are a vast magoraty that wish to make a change and we out nomber the magoraty that dont so lets stand up and fight. be today the way you wish to be treated treat the world with care and consedaration and if we all change just one thing then maby just maby we may be able to prevente the inevatable.

• Quote from sunflower

so insignificant yet so bloody annoying. ok im part of this so called civalised human race yes ive done things that have hurt others but why is it that [im asumming] every one on this forum and others are shouting yet no ones listioning. why is it so hard for people to relise that we are all one mass jig saw puzzle that we all have a part to fit. why do poeple couse climete damege and then seat back and complane when it all goes wrong why when i see every day poeple complaining about the weather and moaning that some one should do something about it. why should it be up to anyone else theres a lote we can each all do yet a vast majoraty refuse to. why is it that when a vast magoraty shout no to such things as nucaler power over usage of electrisaty the mass reduction in oil etc .etc. thay ignore and carry on. there are a vast magoraty that wish to make a change and we out nomber the magoraty that dont so lets stand up and fight. be today the way you wish to be treated treat the world with care and consedaration and if we all change just one thing then maby just maby we may be able to prevente the inevatable.

Almost inspirational sunflower. The only slight problem is: ask people here what they think of 'nuclear energy' ask the biggest enviromental group 'what they think of nuclear energy'. Like you, they will prob' say ''no way''.
    This along with other things results in having to find sometimes the second best option, rather than the first best option.
    Ask these groups what positive steps the goverment are doing .. ''only stuff that we are 'forcing' them to do''. Seemingly no internal dynamics within the goverment with out 'outside help' .. imho , untrue.

Imho people who show consideration are not the majority they are the minority and a part of that minority A FORCED participant in all of this.

As soon as we in the UK , reduce our CO2 levels within 6 months maybe less another country will have taken over our %. This being either China or India... possibly even America. This is not to say these countrys do nothing.. but it is a sad fact that it will take the 4 big countries and 'Europe' as a whole to bring all this into some positive change. This is just not being done quick enough or strategically enough imho.

This might be a horrid percetion i have.. i look around for signs i'm wrong. i can't.

• I totally agree.

People who care or even think about the every day effect of their lives on the planet at large are in the minority. This is evidenced in no small way by our continued ability to buy incadecant lightbulbs - why in a world where we have energy saving bulbs that last between 8 and 12 times as normal ones and use about a 6th of the power, though cost 5 times as much can we still do this. It's simple maths, but people won't even put their hands in their pockets to help their own electricity bills!

We're getting better, but not quickly enough. Even government buildings don't employ energy saving technologies as standard as the government won't pay out for them. They should be leading by examplem but they're not.

• Quote from Mav

I totally agree.

People who care or even think about the every day effect of their lives on the planet at large are in the minority. This is evidenced in no small way by our continued ability to buy incadecant lightbulbs - why in a world where we have energy saving bulbs that last between 8 and 12 times as normal ones and use about a 6th of the power, though cost 5 times as much can we still do this. It's simple maths, but people won't even put their hands in their pockets to help their own electricity bills!

We or the goverment could easily avoid these out dated technologies for a better and more effective solution. We/they just choose not too. People seem to think that the individual does not matter. One bit of personal change does not matter. Well this mentality is widespread. It DOES matter.

We're getting better, but not quickly enough. Even government buildings don't employ energy saving technologies as standard as the government won't pay out for them. They should be leading by examplem but they're not.

When people hear we have ten maybe thirty years to 'change' as a society or on the global front [they seem to think].'' Well we can put stuff off, can't we''. False.. the change should start NOW. It would not be so bad, if the opportunities were not there, they are.

• Too true. The things is, most people don't seem to get to the stage of even thinking about how their every day actions effect anything in the larger scheme of things. My housemates keep asking me what we're going to use our compost for, why don't we just chuck the waste in the bin. And i keep fishing things out of the bin that should go to recycling :frust:

Legislation may be the only way to really bring about effective change. But I don't think there's the political will to make the decisions that are required.

The main problem with our political system is the only thing it's about is getting re-elected. So all policies are short term, who care's what happens in 10 years? This government probably won't be in power then so it won't be their problem, let someone else deal with it. Right?