Overzealous Christian Union

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from Darkflame

Thats not an option when they ring my door bell and I leap out of the shower, pull on my dressing gown and open the door because I'm sopping wet and very pissed off. However, I will try to be civil in future.

No... dont be civil nor respectful... anything less than grossly insulting will be perceived by them as a sign of encouragement...

Fly...

• Invite them in, make them a cup of tea and when you've got them sat down drivel on about some bizzare relegion (or make one up to drivel on about) without giving them the chance to speak. If you can take up an hour of their time then you've had a good laugh at their expense whilst saving a few of your neighbours the tedium of slamming their doors :D

• Quote from TheFly

No... dont be civil nor respectful... anything less than grossly insulting will be perceived by them as a sign of encouragement...

Fly...

Hey I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't have been getting an earful from the [STRIKETHROUGH]soppy liberals[/STRIKETHROUGH] other forumers

• Quote from Dark Scout

At my University I seem to be perpetually annoyed by the extremely active Christian Union ... I never seem 2be able 2get rid of the blighters!!

So my point is ... does anyone have any tips on how to avoid having someone come up to you and tell you how theyre going to 'pray for you' or 'save your soul' without being insulting to them? It makes me feel seriously uncomfortable ...

While at uni I put up some posters for my boyfriend's band which had the slogan "the best live act since Christ" along the bottom. The next day that bit of the posters (and in some cases the entire thing) had been covered by Christian Union posters.

Ignore them.

• Quote from Chazz

You'd have thought they'd appreciate the publicity...He hasn't done a gig in nearly two thousand years.

Yeah but they are all waiting for the come-back tour :rolleyes: :D

I find opening the door then yelling back into the house "hunny, the sacrifices are here" unsettles them a tad :D

but failing that just ignore em (I went to a church college and was surrounded by em....:rolleyes: )

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from pixiejanet1

I honestly thought the hippy movement was about live and let live....hmm, appears i was wrong!!

Peace and love eh? not....

Except for whingers who insist on whinging that I'm doomed to hell cos I do do what they say :rolleyes:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from pixiejanet1

I honestly thought the hippy movement was about live and let live....hmm, appears i was wrong!!

:clap:

• Quote from pixiejanet1

what if living was....killing whales would u let that live. Live and let live seems too much like accepting things the way they are and not fighting back.

How many times have they come round to your door btw? is it just the once?
    Personally i would get some sort of, restraining order on them. You never know what they believe in, they might try and cleanse you from sin by burning you. I would personally feel threatened by people like that, a lot of hippies can be part of the wiccan tradition and the whole church is a reminder of what overzealous christians can do i.e. persecution of witches.
    These people are manipulators, they grab people in and feed them this garbage that they think is right.

• Quote from scothippy

what if living was....killing whales would u let that live. Live and let live seems too much like accepting things the way they are and not fighting back.

Scothippy, it's simply tolerating other people and letting them live their own lives. If they are not causing harm, then what's wrong with that? :)

• Quote from scothippy

How many times have they come round to your door btw? is it just the once?
    Personally i would get some sort of, restraining order on them. You never know what they believe in, they might try and cleanse you from sin by burning you. I would personally feel threatened by people like that, a lot of hippies can be part of the wiccan tradition and the whole church is a reminder of what overzealous christians can do i.e. persecution of witches.
    These people are manipulators, they grab people in and feed them this garbage that they think is right.

And what makes your way right? You seem to have a lot of anger about them, i don`t see how anger is better than being someone who believes in good!

Yes, they do come to my door...all denominations...instead of slagging them off, i see what makes them tick....why they have chosen the path they have...it`s really interesting...
    Also, i read their bibles, using the christian one as a reference point...it seems that a lot of stories are put in out of context to fit their beliefs...they have the choice to do the same...but obviously, their religion suits them so have no inclination to question it I question everything..

Also, i am a christian, albeit, not one who beleives you have to go to church to confirm that fact...to me it`s more about being a better person, and seeing things in a less aggressive way... I`m bringing my daughter up to choose her way, and at the moment she loves Girls brigade...a church youth group...her choice.. She`s not hanging round the streets or terrorising people and i`m happy with that...we`re not perfect..we have slanging matches(clears the air!) but on the whole, our life is great!

It`s ok to go on about `save the whale` and all that, but personally, i believe it`s people that need to be saved just now, to stop war, to stop murder and all the other heinbous crimes that we as a human race commits.... and i don`t mean that in a `christian way` per se... i mean as a world community....

End of rant!!

PJ.

• Quote from Dark Scout

...So my point is ... does anyone have any tips on how to avoid having someone come up to you and tell you how theyre going to 'pray for you' or 'save your soul' without being insulting to them? It makes me feel seriously uncomfortable ...

lovely people -the "live and let live" argument is v.interesting but:topic: maybe worth a thread of its own tho...????:)

• Quote from Dark Scout

At my University I seem to be perpetually annoyed by the extremely active Christian Union ... I never seem 2be able 2get rid of the blighters!!

So my point is ... does anyone have any tips on how to avoid having someone come up to you and tell you how theyre going to 'pray for you' or 'save your soul' without being insulting to them? It makes me feel seriously uncomfortable ...

Say thank you and walk away.... easy!

• It is a tough situation, I think. I hate to be rude to anyone and normally try to politely say “thanks but no thanks” to people who come to my door/approach me. Most of the time this works, but they will usually come back after a little while and try again. I think that if you give a non-committal response you’re thought of by many as a ‘maybe’ and fair game for another attempt.

So is the only solution to be rude? I’ve tried saying no more firmly but often people still comeback. At what point does it become ‘OK’ to be rude?

• Quote from Sthenno

It is a tough situation, I think. I hate to be rude to anyone and normally try to politely say “thanks but no thanks” to people who come to my door/approach me. Most of the time this works, but they will usually come back after a little while and try again. I think that if you give a non-committal response you’re thought of by many as a ‘maybe’ and fair game for another attempt.

So is the only solution to be rude? I’ve tried saying no more firmly but often people still comeback. At what point does it become ‘OK’ to be rude?

I was recently "targeted" by a members of a cult. I went through the motions. I politely read the literature, attempted to point out its shortcomings as i saw them. Eventually told them that I just was not interested. I then received phone calls which eventually became abusive...
    This was certainly a more vigorus effort on their part than i was used to and eventually i resorted to "rudeness".

For me it comes down to "am i being listened to here" If youve politely told someone who then carrys on regardless -well! Time to get the swear box out:whistle:

• Oooh, a cult! How exciting. They weren’t scientologists were they? I think door to door scientologists is actually a brilliant idea…I’d welcome the chance to be told about intergalactic beings named Xenu on an otherwise boring Sunday afternoon…

• the pentagram,sign saying 'neighbourhood witch' and broomstick...never put off the 'witnessess':rolleyes: ....i'd love a chat over a herbal tea with scientologists too:D

• Quote from Sthenno

Oooh, a cult! How exciting. They weren’t scientologists were they? I think door to door scientologists is actually a brilliant idea…I’d welcome the chance to be told about intergalactic beings named Xenu on an otherwise boring Sunday afternoon…

No this lot were headed by someone called Phillipe Savage. They offered to cure me of cancer! For around £40k. ( at the time i had just had a non malignant melanoma removed from my face)
    Eventually it dawned on me that I was just not being heard and that this was a deliberate tactic on their part. Strange to describe it this way but I was being attacked. In the end i felt that rudeness was the only way i could get myself heard.
    Not a situation that i am used to.

• They sound scary! Offering to cure cancer for 40K?!?! Ooooooh that makes my blood boil...

• Quote from scarlettdee

who were they?

they are
    Phillipe Sauvage Thuleans -I'm not going to post a link but if you want to have a look for yourself you can pm me -but i wouldnt bother
    I looked at the site once. basically its "the worlds grim and this guy is the only one that can save you" type stuff. -nothing particularly new there and certainly of no interest to me. What did shock me tho was the relentlessness of their approaches -several calls a week, sometimes 3 or 4 in an evening and this went on for several months. Somehow they got to know that I was going in for an operation and they started to call almost everyday.

There was an expose of them on our local BBC news prog as they have a bit of a base near to me.
    I feel quite sorry for the people that try to rope you in as i think they really beleive but the guy himself is just nasty:mad:

• Heh, I suggested shooting them up against a wall - I wasn't serious... maybe I should have made that more clear.

• Quote from pixiejanet1

The christian church doesn't exactly have a great record on the "live and let live" front. One rule for christians, another for the rest of us?

I had alot of that when I used to busk and youre right about the uncomfortableness of the situation. In those days, I used to just smile and say thanks...while thinking 'what difference is that going to make, i am responsible for my own actions and consequences...you REALLY believe that will mend my spirit which is not broken in the first place?...nutter' like busking was a bad thing!!! (Mind you I did have a raging habit at the time but that wasnt public knowledge)

Now that I'm all grown up (not) I would tend to say ' I rather you didn't as christianity is not my religion and I feel uncomfortable at the thought of you doing that'....right, course I do...what I really say is 'Argh!!! Don't spout those religious rantings at me as they burn my skin!!!' This only works if I know the person of course...Good luck Dark Scout, it maybe worth saying that you dont want them to and having that small bit of uncomfortableness once more, rather than going through it everytime you meet them. Do it once and I'm sure the word will get around that youre not interested.
    Imx

• Quote from Atomik

The christian church doesn't exactly have a great record on the "live and let live" front. One rule for christians, another for the rest of us?

Can`t answer this Atomic...already told off by S.S, so if you read my rant you will have my opinion...

tho` i will say...I`m not holier than thou... and i do live and let live...

Sorry S.S. just answering...

PJ.