Green Energy

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I thought I would let you all know about an electricity company im signing up to. They are called Good Energy and provide 100% re-newable electricity from windfarms, generaters and solar power. So for all the electricity you use they buy the same amount from the re-newable resources and put it into the national grid, so essensially you are getting 100% renewable energy:carrot: how wonderful is that!It only seems to cost about £2 more per month for me, and I think its well worth it, considering the amoung of CO2 it cuts down on. And they are lovely people, and they print everything on recycled paper...Great company to support if you ask me!
    Their website is www.good-energy.co.uk

In Dharma,
    Uma
    x x x

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• ooops..... Edited and corrected now, appologies for that:wiggle:
    In Dharma,
    Uma
    x x x

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• Been with good energy for almost a couple of years now. Never had a problem with them. I did hear one comment, that they weren't investing in many new projects and ecotricity was doing more on that front... Think it was an article in the ecologist, not sure.

• wel i have sent the link to my mum as i dont have much power over what electricity we have so fingers crossed ay

• Quote from Duckman

I heard in that Scotland has a surplus of electricity from all the hydro-electric generation going on.

that's because of the way it works, it's very hard to get a long term sustained power output from hydro because resivoirs (even in scotland) don't fill up enough. so during peak rate the water flowing out and generating the extra electricity that we're using. when less electricy is being used the opposit happens, water is pumped back up into the resivoir to increase the efficiency of the damn slightly.

• Quote from Perthite

that's because of the way it works, it's very hard to get a long term sustained power output from hydro because resivoirs (even in scotland) don't fill up enough. so during peak rate the water flowing out and generating the extra electricity that we're using. when less electricy is being used the opposit happens, water is pumped back up into the resivoir to increase the efficiency of the damn slightly.

Well at least that is making better use of coal fired power.

What about put hydro-generators on the River Thames at Marsh Lock (between Henley and Shiplake)?

• You couldn't realistically run the entire country from Scotland because you loose a little bit of energy for each mile it has to travel. They would certainly have to build many new pylons to carry it too... for instance, if several major projects in Wales get the go ahead some of the last surviving untouched areas will be getting 3 new power lines to carry some of the energy back down to the South. It's a shame that so many people in the South oppose even a single turbine, like they did in Swansea.

Meanwhile, the once beautiful regions are now getting one energy farm after another. I guess it's a case that there are more people to complain in the more populated areas... but if we are really trying to save the planet surely the energy generation should be nearest the people that need it, rather than building it up some beautiful mountain and then wasting lot's of the energy carrying it over many miles!

• Hi all,

I hope it's OK to open up this thread again.

The reason is that I am looking into changing my supplier - I am currently with Scottish F***ing Power and I have had it up to *here* with their price rises and profits.

I want to go with Ecotricity or Good Energy or similar for my electricity. However I have gas too (I know, I know - it's for heating - which I don't use much - and cooking, which I prefer). The best deals there seem to come from British/ Scottish Gas but they are w**kers too.

Does anyone have any advice or had any experience of switching successfully and being as green as possible?

Thanks in advance - Jule9 xxx

"The lovely thing about being 40 is that you can appreciate 25 year old men more" - Colleen McCullough I'm not 40 - I'm 18 with 22 years' experience!

• I think npower do a good green dual fuel tarif called juice, check on uswitch.com and you should be able to find out the best deal in your area

• Ta dragonz. I have been on a couple of comparison sites and Juice seems like a good option. I was going to phone Ecotricity and ask for some advice but they are closed over the weekend. Effing hippies:harhar: .

"The lovely thing about being 40 is that you can appreciate 25 year old men more" - Colleen McCullough I'm not 40 - I'm 18 with 22 years' experience!

• damm workshy hippies, how dare they not work over the weekend LOL
    I was going to switch to juice before I left the exboyf and moved in with friends. when I do get my own place, I want solar pannels and a wind turbine

• Quote from dragonz

I think npower do a good green dual fuel tarif called juice, check on uswitch.com and you should be able to find out the best deal in your area

Expensive though, I've been with them for a few years now, but my dual fuel has slowly crept up from about £45 a month to £104 a month :eek:, for a 2 bed semi. That is with conservative heating in the winter (I'm a lots of jumpers and snuggle under a quilt, rather than putting the heating on, kinda lass). I have to admit that I don't know how that compares with other companies, as I know they have all hiked their prices lately.

Les x

• why don't they put little windmills on top of all the pylons that already march across the country, no extra visual impact and they can pump straight into the grid?