Laundry.. tag information on clothes

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hm.. I have this shirt, 100% cotton.. and on the tag it says I should wash it by hand in cold water. It doesn't look especially delicate to me.. why can't I just wash this like normal shirts (30 or 40°C)? The colours are black and purple so that doesn't seem to out of the ordinary either..

Think I should just risk it? Have a genuine dislike for washing stuff by hand...

• It's quite possibly because the colours will run. I've washed hand-wash in cold water only stuff on 40 degrees before when it feels like the material can take it! I guess you have to way up how pissed off you'd be if you ruined your shirt!

• Could affect the colouring if machine washed, if you like the shirt wash by hand, dont take the chance.

'Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's to high!
    COME TO THE EDGE
    And they came and he pushed and they flew ...'

• aaaahh that's not what I wanted to hear!! .. hehe.. damnit.

I'm the kind of person that stuffs her bra in a sock and throws it in with the normal laundry instead of handwashing it like the label says *sigh*.. grr.. gotta remember to check labels before buying anything in the future.. hehe.. but then again it was cheap and looks good :)

• Quote from sensamelia

i love handwashing something theraputic about it if i lived next door id do it for ya hun ..................maybe

hehehe.. thanks :) Yeah it's like with doing the dishes.. when I'm at it I don't mind it that much but to actually get started on it.. ugh!

• I cooks and do the housework to very domesticated guy :)

'Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's to high!
    COME TO THE EDGE
    And they came and he pushed and they flew ...'

• I have a lot of cotton trousers and tops that are multi-couloured and all the labels said hand wash only but I wash em together on a low setting i.e 30 /40 dont tumbledry it and hang it on a hanger to dry it but this is only advice, if you are really concerned do as the label says

• If you do decide to risk it, it might be wise to run the machine through a cycle, without anything in afterwards..........just incase a lot of dye leaks and it stains the next load.

I've just bought some new duvet covers, dark brown, with a cream panel at the top......or it was cream until I washed it (following the instructions), it is now a, erm, lovely pinky/purpley panel :vomit:......I'm hoping it fades over time lol.
    BTW.......does anyone actually handwash bra's??? :insane:

Les x

• Most of my clothes say handwash, apart from having to stretch some out again... the colours tend to be fine! :) but then yours may not be :-S

• Quote from velvet

I'm the kind of person that stuffs her bra in a sock and throws it in with the normal laundry instead of handwashing it like the label says

You go that far and shove it in a sock!?!! wow...... I tend to shove absolutely everything in the washing machine on half load quick wash with my lovely eco washing lq and everything is always alright-even the indian clothes which are never colourfasted!!
    Shocked that you go to that trouble with your bra at all...saying that its been a good long while since I wore an actual bra so i'm one to talk.....:whistle:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• Quote from uma

Shocked that you go to that trouble with your bra at all...saying that its been a good long while since I wore an actual bra so i'm one to talk.....:whistle:

hehe if I don't wear a bra I've got a boy chest.. I call it affectionately 'my booblocator' ;)

• Quote from Earth Whirler

No we do not!!!! :mad: We have numbers:D

Ooooh, check out Whirly and her fancy-pants alphabetty-washing machine! :harhar: Trés posh!

Yeah, spin on it sister!!!! :finger:

With pleasure!

• Quote from ms-violet

Actually, I meant your fancy pants numerical washing machine... I'm the one with the alphabetty one. But, er - you didn't seem to notice anyway. :harhar:

Actually I did, but y'know, didn't wanna embarrass ya :whistle:

Actually I did, but y'know, didn't wanna embarrass ya :whistle:

Suuuurre. You're the one who should be embarrassed anyway! Numbers on your washing machine is soooooo last year, dahhhhling :whistle: