Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've only been veggie a few months, slipped up on a visit to my favourite Chinese in London when I was very drunk after a bit of an upsetting weekend and ordered duck a few weeks back... felt terrible afterwards and not touched meat since, doubt I will again either.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Fifth generation vegetarian, me and nearly a vegan, (which is probably just as annoying a thing to say to real vegans as it is for veggies when animal-eaters say that they're nearly veggie. If so, sorry).

• Quote from Milo

Fifth generation vegetarian, me and nearly a vegan, (which is probably just as annoying a thing to say to real vegans as it is for veggies when animal-eaters say that they're nearly veggie. If so, sorry).

Don't see why it should be. I don't mind ominvores saying they're 'nearly vegetarian' if it's something they're aiming for. It's when they eat fish and claim to be vegetarian that it bugs me :wall:

• Quote from Northern Pixie

:vomit:

ps I hate Linda MaCartneys food, its just like meat and I hate Meat

I'm with you on this one.... Linda MaCartney stuff is ok if youre a meat eater and want to go veggie.... but it sure looks like meat to me...as for taste and texture?....i cant really comment on that...i was so young when my parents let me go veggie that i dont remember what it tastes like.... it wasnt a concious decision....

I did once go to dinner at a friends and she prepared a great veggie dish... i was so ill an hour after eating... stomach cramps and nausea... she had used meat juices in the sauce thinking it would make it tastier and i wouldnt know... seems my stomach did..!!!

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Don't see why it should be. I don't mind ominvores saying they're 'nearly vegetarian' if it's something they're aiming for. It's when they eat fish and claim to be vegetarian that it bugs me :wall:

I'll go along with that.... how can anyone think fish isnt meat?

and dont you ever think it strange when you go into a cafe for something to eat and at the counter ask what veggie food they have and they hit you with fish or eggs.?? they must get some really odd veggies eating there... and once when i was starving at a bootsale and asked for a bean burger they just moved the cooked meat burgers out of the way and griddled it in the same fat.!!! they were actualy annoyed after they had cooked it and i said thanks but no thanks...

• Quote from pabsy

and dont you ever think it strange when you go into a cafe for something to eat and at the counter ask what veggie food they have and they hit you with fish or eggs.??

Ummm..... eggs were considered veggie, last time I checked?

Ummm..... eggs were considered veggie, last time I checked?

they are?..... oops...well maybe its just the thought of what they are and where they fall out from that turns my stomach....

Semolina turns my stomach. Doesn't mean it's not veggie :harhar:

ooh yep...semolina is gross.... hang on...you being sarcastic again....:rolleyes: :whack: :whistle:

• Never knowingly eaten meat since being veggie but have been caught out on the very odd occassion by dairy products from when something that was vegan goes back to being veggie, and that happens a lot ( I mean ingrediants changing not me being caught out). Mistakes happen and I won't feel bad about them as they are honest mistakes!! But I do feel bad about a few years ago when I was having a sort of break down, and didn't care to much about anything (as is the nature of depression sometimes when you don't care about yourself let alone anything else), I tried a bit of cheese and a chocolate sweet again but I didn't like them, as they were tooooo rich and I yes felt awful about it, so it was enough for me to realise I am happy where I am at being vegan :) even if I was a depressed one at the time.

• Quote from Flibbertigibbet

apparently there is fish oil in orange fanta drink yuk

nooo... really?? *disgusted and horrorred look*... eek I've drunk that shit, like a few months ago :eek:

Please tell me this is a joke I'm too tired to get :puppydog:

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• Apparently it is true, well so they say on the vegan forum about animal derived products in certain drinks. I try to go by the Vegan Cruelty free shopper but even the products in there are forever changing!! Just do what you can do is all you can do!! I am sure we probably unknowingly eat/drink stuff that isn't truely vegan all the time, as I don't believe all ingredients is truely declared, although it is getting better about possibly having dairy etc in certain products written on packaging.

• Quote from Firinne

I've only been veggie a few months, slipped up on a visit to my favourite Chinese in London when I was very drunk after a bit of an upsetting weekend and ordered duck a few weeks back... felt terrible afterwards and not touched meat since, doubt I will again either.

there is soo many wicked all u can eat vegan chineses in london. i dunno what soya they use but its the best ive had, mock duck n all sorts, and its sooo tasty. no shit, even the biggest meat head would enjoy it.
    i went to one in soho, cant wait to go to one again.

• anyone ever seen garners free range pickled eggs in supermarkets???
    check out the back of the label, says its sutible for vegans.

errr its a fucking egg!!!

• narsty stuff, melts ya teeth.
    i watched a mark thomas video once about coca cola, there fucking evil man, i didnt have a clue up untill them the sort of shit theyve actually done.
    bad bad company.

• yeah i know, but i didnt realise how fucked up coke actually are, they aint opposed to a bit of murder. among loads of other shit too.

• Im using honey right now, to get rid of my cold. Part from that, since becoming *~VEGAN~* iv not strayed, {part from the honey} that is.

Ghost

• Iv been vegy since i was 9 but had a slip up when i was 17 and extremely drunk......i took a bite of a bacon sandwhich ahhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!ooooo the shame and it wasnt even worth it!Oh and yeh i am funny about meat tastin vegy stuff its all a bit strange!

muchio magic x

• I think the reason they try and make the alternatives taste like meat is to show meat eaters that they dont have to eat dead animals to enjoy the lifestyle and eat the food thet theyre accustomed to, I think most alternatives like quorn are actually aimed at meat eaters rather than long term veggies

• Been vego for 20 years & not slipped up! :angel:
    Vegan on & off since I was 13.....im not a vegan altho I dont drink milk, rarely do cream etc.. I eat the odd egg altho I hadnt for 4 years......i do the cheese thing more than I ever used too even tho sometimes I go without dairy for months!

i think if i was living in the bush I would eat meat, not sure I could do the killing tho...then again Ive never had to feed a starving child...

Fish oil in Fanta....ohhh i never knew that.....ive only ever tasted it once & spat it out :barf: those fishatarians really piss me off too...i know it shouldnt but it triggers a nerve!!! I dont see how they cant see fishes as living animals...its bizzare.....i know people love to say there a vegie these days....but do you remember when people looked at you & said
    'your a what' in disbelief! i used to feel so :o cause back then we were rare & branded weirdos....:rolleyes:

• i have to agree and disagree all in one go.....i think fake meat is all about marketing!

But in a good cause, for once!

• Did you really?
    I'm shocked at fanta! eek. I don't drink fizzy drinks anyway, bad for ya teeth and hard to guzzle down in one go. I don't like bacon anymore, meat is being increasingly vile for me.