What to do with a 38ft Static caravan??

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've got a static caravan on my land. It's in an idyllic position and easy for hooking up to services. The previous owner bought it new back in 2003 , with the aim of knocking down the little farmhouse and building a MacMansion with swimming pool:insane:

It has never once been lived in,,, has a living room, kitchen , 2 bathrooms and two bedrooms. And has two doors!

It's in perfect condition except the livingroom seating got trashed by two terriers digging for fun when they lived there for a few days!

I don't want to remove it as the height on a low loader will damage a tunnel of trees.

I don't particularly want to go to work with the angle grinder, as the caravan has permission and is on a map of the title deeds and so is allowed to be there...

So my thoughts are Tiny House!

The windows in the bedrooms are flimsy rubbish, so would need replaced or improved.. I thought of ripping out the built in furniture, installing a wooden floor and wood burner, insulating with sheeps wool. The scoured sheeps wool is free as it's scrap from my business and the woodburner is sitting in the shed!

I need to do all of this on a budget,,, shoestring! I then thought of renting it out as cheap as chips accomodation, or giving it to someone in return for a half day per week help around the land.

My DIY skills are limited to ripping out, preparing and cleaning... I suppose I could manage to lay flooring at an absolute push.

Does anyone have any idea how cheaply I could do this? Any thoughts on how to do this?

• Personally I'd think of renting it out and making a few quid. The seating upholstery should be fairly straight-forward to replace, especially as you have lots of good wool available for stuffing.

(I always go for the easy options first!):)

If that didn't work, you could take a look (via internet) to see what other people have done with oldish caravans, see if it worked, and check how easy it was to do.

• I'd thought of installing the wood burning stove. It's a Queenie; the type used in Bowtops and great for making tea or a pot of soup. The bench style seating is now a pile of plywood and foam bits.

I'm at a loss as what to do with the windows. They'd be OK in Summer but freezing in Winter!

I've made a start today. I'm woman on a mission.

• Install double-glazing of some kind? And/or make lightweight shutters on the outside that could be closed snugly at night? You could even insulate the shutters with that wool!

Wooden frames easier than plastic for the double-glazing, and the lightweight shutters easily attached to the frames.

• I think double glazing will be a must do! I love the idea of shutters too OldKeith. I'm on a steep learning curve here.

Despite having lived in the countryside nearly all my life, somedays I feel this downsized, alternative, live gently on the earth, grow your own food and be more sustainable lifestyle is ................... WAY beyond my current level of skills. My place came with a container load of tools and equipment. I haven't a clue what 90% of them are for!! If it wasn't for YOutube tutorials I'd be stuck!!

Has anyone else made life changes and felt seriously out of their depth?

• You're absolutely right Bernie. I'm not complaining. Just running around, totally clueless and fast realising just how little I actually know!! There's never enough hours in a day and a million jobs to do!

The growing food bit..... well I can grow enough food to feed a small town. But the DIY, building, fixing, repairing bit.... :shrug::shrug::shrug:

• The growing food bit..... well I can grow enough food to feed a small town. But the DIY, building, fixing, repairing bit....

If you lived a bit closer Lesley, I'd advise you join our community shed! A sort of club where older men and women can learn how to make things and use tools belonging to trades they'd never been involved with before. We have several ladies who, after only a few months, can now not only put up their own shelves, but make garden furniture from pallets, repair garden sheds, and use hand saws and power saws and drills, etc. Oh, and blokes who can now do a nifty bit of upholstery, which they learned from the ladies....:)

I guess you are pretty far from anywhere like that though, so YouTube is a great help. But study several different videos of the same thing if you can, and take notes; you'll soon see that you can pick up different techniques and tips from different ones: nobody can cram everything into one movie.