solo van living safety- any tips?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Didnt know if my pick axe handle would of worked on zombies :-)

That would have surprised them if you had come flying out armed and dangerous!

I've been reading a book that has a really creepy part featuring zombies- I think I would have keeled over in terror if I had been reading that and then looked outside to see them!

• My advice in towns is don't stay anywhere more than one night, that way you never get noticed. My favourite stealth parkup would be an ordinary suburban street. Slip into a space among a row of parked cars about 9.30pm and be gone by 7am.

99% of the residents of the road wont even know you have been there. Then go somewhere else and spend your day.

Next night, same procedure different street, its when you are asleep that you are vunerable

• I'm not sure I could ever learn to bark!! But I can scream pretty loud- especially if there were zombies outside....

I guess the beauty of moving on all the time, and especially when arriving late, is that no-one knows who is in the van, or how many, and that must be a pretty good deterrent. There could be several ogres, rather than one elf :-D

• That is another of one of the main reasons why I much prefer to live in an old converted van with a chimney rather than in a shiny white,as with a shiny white the chances are that it will be old and retired people whereas in the van it could be a half crazed drug dealer !!!

I notice that in France even a lot of the chavs are careful around my van,,just in case !!

Or maybe its the fact that first thing in the morning I resemble a zombie :-)

• I went over to Ireland last summer, to visit some family and have a look about on the west coast, and before I went I thought I'd research online for what things were like regarding parking up at night.

I read these horror stories (trust me to find them and focus on them....) about gangs targeting motorhomes parked up in remote spots, at night. This doesn't make it ok at all, but from what I gathered it was expensive, fully kitted out motorhomes, and presumably tourists with iphones and holiday cash. It did somewhat detract from the idyllic impression I'd had of the west coast still and I didn't stay anywhere remote!

Still, it was lovely and idyllic (and windy!) when I got there and the only bother I had was with tailgaters- even the lorries! The Irish don't seem to do plodding vans.....

• The fear of break ins far out weighs the reality, you have to be very stupid to enter a van with someone in it!, if left unattended its slightly more of a target but really dont worry and dont believe all the horror stories from peeps who stayed in a van one weekend!!

• The fear of break ins far out weighs the reality, you have to be very stupid to enter a van with someone in it!, if left unattended its slightly more of a target but really dont worry and dont believe all the horror stories from peeps who stayed in a van one weekend!!

Exactly that ,even if you are alone there is a big plus in that you occupy the high ground,3 steps to get in to my bus through a narrowish door and if you are up to mischief your face is at my boot level before you get in :)

• Its more about the fear of senseless violence in cities. I know someone who ended up sleeping rough in South London. He got beaten up several times for no apparant motive by groups of young men for their own entertainment. Plus he knew a lot of people who

faced violence every night,

Thats why you see people sleeping out during the day in London, they are too frightened to sleep at night on their own.

• Its more about the fear of senseless violence in cities. I know someone who ended up sleeping rough in South London. He got beaten up several times for no apparant motive by groups of young men for their own entertainment. Plus he knew a lot of people who

Thats why you see people sleeping out during the day in London, they are too frightened to sleep at night on their own.

Yes Bernie but sleeping on the streets is way different to vanlife, the street is a much more dangerous prospect and one I wouldn't wish on anyone!

:( It puts things into perspective, doesn't it? There's me jittering about the remote chances of things happening, yet there are those who sadly it's part of their everyday life. It's scary how horrible people can be to each other (which is, I guess, what freaks me out about people sometimes....)

• The further you go out into the countryside,mountains or national parks the further you are away from the majority of nasty people therefore reducing the risk factor by a lot.

Every country I have ever been to I have always made a point of heading off to the more tranquil parts straight away,whether that be vanning it, backpacking or simply tramping it like I used to and have had next to no hassle at all.

Got mugged in blackpool by three glaswegians, had a screwed up dude in amsterdam try to kill me, chased through reading by some nazi facists and many other city based things when I was on the streets and bumming it around europe. Yes city streets are not safe at especially at night especially when you are on the streets.

If you have got a van however and one that works then you have the option to go and find more chilled and safer surroundings.

A bit if vigilance is a good thing wherever you go,though if you are constantly scared and worried then maybe its best to find yourself in a safer environment where you can relax and be happy.

Its up to us to create our realities to make them into perfect ones :-)

• A city isn't a natural habitat for humans.

Just look historically at the reason settlements grew and grew to become cities!

They are a perfect place for controlling the population! An ideal power base!

I say that if you can, then get to hell out and into the countryside.

• Cities are strange, alien places to me, so it suits me well to stay well away! I went to London a few years ago, found it very strange to be hemmed in by so many tall buildings all day, and I made everyone look at me strangely when I spotted the moon between the buildings and shouted "look! the moon!!!" seriously, it was the only thing I recognised and I got quite excited about it....

My mind does sometimes race at night, but it's not an all consuming fear and the happiness van dwelling brings outweighs it by far :D

• Great to hear it. If the Love is stronger than the hate then the love will win :flowerpower:

I totally get your reaction to seeing the moon as a friend,I am much the same with tree's, plants and birds when I am surrounded by concrete,metal and everyone elses energy. They make me feel that nature is still looking out for me and that I am not alone :weed:

Very rare that I go into a big town nowadays except the odd visit to watch wales play rugby then it is straight to the stadium and straight out of town after the game :beam: