PROBLEMS OFF GRID SOLVED?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Insulate your water bottle/tank. Make a jacket /stitch/sew, tape, glue it to the bottle/tank. If you need to see water level try to incorporate a transparent panel or incorporate a sensor. If money and space/weight is negotiable.sit portable/fixed water bottle/tank Ona set of secondhand/cheap bathroom scales. Get to know how much water weighs. if you build a insulated box to store bottle/tank, build in a Perspex inspection strip and illuminate the tank and water level by installing a 12volt light behind the water bottle and facing the inspection pannel.

Or except condensation is a part of your air conditioning system. Place a drip dish underneath the water bottle/tank. Moisture in the environment will try to collect somewhere. A dry air environment isn’t always a good environment for air breathers.
    remember on a hot sunny day, there’s more moisture in the air around us.

• stand your water bottle/butt/jack on 3 x stands ((Small tins of Tuna/ or blocks of wood) or 5 tennis balls! Get the picture, :) within the catchment bucket. Allow drips to drop clear of the water bottle/butt/jack and avoid contamination (Drips) when lifting out of bucket.

I had many winters when my water butt would freeze solid in winter, making a cup of tea first light was really awkward. Dog water bowls too use to freeze. These days it’s just olive oil and honey that sets in winter.

• This is just the thread I've been looking for :D

This might sound silly but where do you find water! I'm new to off grid van life, everything else is going ok but I'm struggling to find places to fill up my water containers (I don't have a big underslung tank.... just removable containers). The other day I seemed to spend most of the day wondering where to get water! I asked at a garage, they said they didn't have drinking water, the public loos had a tap outside but it didn't have a handle (maybe I need a set of pliers?!), the village hall didn't have an outside tap and was shut, I chickened out of seeing if there was one on the side of the church (starting to look suspicious by this point!). I saw a tap and hosepipe at the side of someone's house but it was a really fancy looking place (is that judgemental?!) and I lost my nerve with that too.

I have to admit to getting a bit pissed off. Once upon a time water was a free, communal resource. What happened to that?! But then I guess the same could be said for land, and that's even worse :(

In the end I gave up and found a campsite. It was that or go hiking into the hills and find a clean spring!

Would love to know what everyone else does, and if I'm being a bit daft and missing something obvious ^^

• I go with the 2litre bottles from Asda or Aldi too, just keep half a dozen under the sink. Shame to throw the bottles away after 1 use, but not a good idea to keep refilling apparently, so fill & reuse for filling the toilet flush tank....

• I use the 5 ltr ones, they only cost a quid and I refill the empty ones from wherever potable water is available, almost always the handle snapping is the only reason I get new ones , they also make good cupboard door stops when full.

There was quite along thread on this before and I am sure it went on to water saving tips ..

• I only drink the bottled water, the other for cooking,cleaning etc.

I cut the tapered tops off empty bottles and they become a bin. I crush all non organic waste that I can and can fit two or more days rubbish in them.

If it's edible or quick bio degradable it goes outside to my non bipedal neighbours.

• I only drink the bottled water, the other for cooking,cleaning etc.

I cut the tapered tops off empty bottles and they become a bin. I crush all non organic waste that I can and can fit two or more days rubbish in them.

If it's edible or quick bio degradable it goes outside to my non bipedal neighbours.

Sounds a bit elitist mate, aside from using the waste packaging of your water to hold more potential recycling materials whilst they are sent to landfill , you also seem to discriminate against bipedals , I like to feed the birds :)

• If everyone compacted their waste less landfill space needed.

As for recycling the council trucks in Barnet drive the recycling pick ups out to landfill and didn't give a shit when confronted with the evidence. Like many I bet. Still fine the sheeple for putting things in the wrong bin though.17p water elitist?

Possion of wings generally has most not thinking of birds as bipedal but if you are giving your edible waste to some local ostriches or the like then you have a point and good on you.

• Think I'll have a crack at compacting my inorganic waste into a plastic bottle.

As you say (despite folk assigning waste to recycling bins) actual recycling isn't happening at any significant scale. Looks like a sensible use of plastic to me!

I'd rather have public taps of course and a ban on plastic bottles but what do I know?!

All my water comes from supermarket bought plastic bottles but you know there is no tap available with a coin fed meter.

As far as I know the contamination from reusing single use plastic bottles reduces the sperm count in men. A good thing in my opinion but do please correct me.

• I have a huge awning and part of its casing forms a gully so rain falls on the roof, into the gully, I put a 25 litre container under with a funnel to catch the water. It needs something more sophisticated but I have had access to water since March so the job has slipped down the list of Things To Do.