Blackface as an acceptable mask?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• whats the law on shops, ive been down the m1 stopped at service stations, everyone wheres masks it seems apart from asian/indian blokes, the women are waring there veils if there muslim, but it appears they seems to not have to wear them.

i thought it wasa 100 quid fine.

likewise the hard shoulder is it allowed for pee stops to tip rubbish and have picnics? it seems same for same ethnicity maybe the latter was wrong maybe they where broken down but i couldnt beleive a pee stop on a hard shoulder.

I recon i worked on this figures

mask wearers.

elderly white mf....100%

white mf middle aged...100%

white young adult/teen.. 80 90%

black..... 90%

asian woefull

elderly men 0 %

elderly women veil half hearted attempt...10%

middle aged men 0%

young men 5%

young women/veil 50%

so there you have it covid ripping around leicester and manchester i m guessing asian comunity and to be fair a lot look like they couldnt care less.

this isnt racist purely observational.

• masks dont bother me (they make me look better^^) i ve had to ware them in hot cramped dusty spaces so going to the shops in the shops isnt really an issue.

No i was sorting something for work, i went to stoke on trent, in a garage i noticed the racial coralation, just non wareing seems to irk me a bit daft really but thats the law at the mo, and its ripping in sities.

also noticed it at a petrol station near nottingham, and leicester, didnt want to stop there but van was low on fuel.

and the non mask waring annoyed if if there was a chance of it not spreading why is it an issue to ware something on your face.

• It has been reported around here that in some old terraced streets in the nearby town of Northampton, occupied mostly by elements of the Asian community, that large groups of people were visiting each other's houses, guys shaking hands and giving the hug, women embracing, just as in normal times. May have been visits to do with Eid, of course, but nobody - I'm told - was wearing a mask, although some of the women were veiled, as usual. We are talking dozens, sometimes scores, of people here. You would think that as BAME communities are apparently at greater risk, people would be more careful.

Northampton is well up the 'watched list' of infected towns/cities, and expecting some kind of lockdown if things get worse. Could be purely coincidental, of course.:whistle:

• The only reason bame groups are claimed to be at higher risk for an as yet unknown reason by gov is because the stuttering twats Hancock and Johnson haven't got the balls to say it's stupidity, poor hygiene and overcrowded squalor.

Throw in a dose of "insha'Allah" and you have a bunch of retards who think a higher entity is taking care of them so they need make no personal effort.

Funny how it's Burnley, Bradford Luton and such rather than Cheltenham, Oxford and Stratford upon Avon say.

• just got back from town(small,rural,N.E Lincs).and everyone in shops had a mask.around the town very patchy..iv decided im not comfy in mine,a buff neck thingy..so going to try a disposable one tomorrow,my lads got a pack,if not il have a go with a cotton made one

• A buff thingy would nicely cover a sanitory pad taped to the face.

I've got the pads so just need the buff.

This is probably obvious to everyone by now (it wasn't obvious to me):-

If your disposable mask has not been over used then seal it in an envelope and reuse some days or weeks later.

• I make a point of putting my face mask inside a ziplock plastic bag when not in use. Lyndsey made us all a cloth face mask at the beginning of time! It has a internal pocket which can receive the disposable type masks inside it. Should we get the outside of the cloth mask contaminated. Simply throw it in the washing machine or hand wash with a little bleach if your pikey. I like the idea of those laser printed personalised face masks. But there is lots of choice and designs.

https://www.port.ac.uk/collabo…ps/laser-cut-face-shields

https://www.sciencedirect.com/…cle/pii/S0901502720301235

• Personally I don't like wearing any face covering, unless there is a blinding blizzard, which are pretty rare this time of year. If I have to wear any face covering by law, as in going into shops, I prefer to wear a full face shield rather than a mask.

For a start, I find masks uncomfortable and sweaty after some minutes, and being someone who wears a beard, I find most masks are not as successfully close-fitting as they might be.

My face shield is a proper workman's job, so can be used for some kinds of machine woodworking and grinding metal, as well as the occasional trip to the shops. It can be washed down with warm soapy water to clean it, and then swilled with clean water and hung up to dry.

I'm told some banks won't let you in with a mask on, because the recording CCTV can't tell who you are. The see-through visor presents no such problems. The only disadvantage is that it's bigger than a mask to carry about, but it can be tied to a back pack or a shopping bag handle quite easily.

• I make a point of putting my face mask inside a ziplock plastic bag when not in use. Lyndsey made us all a cloth face mask at the beginning of time! It has a internal pocket which can receive the disposable type masks inside it. Should we get the outside of the cloth mask contaminated. Simply throw it in the washing machine or hand wash with a little bleach if your pikey. I like the idea of those laser printed personalised face masks. But there is lots of choice and designs.

https://www.port.ac.uk/collabo…ps/laser-cut-face-shields

https://www.sciencedirect.com/…cle/pii/S0901502720301235

My best guess re paper envelope over plastic zip lock is that the envelope would leach more moisture from the used mask.

Face coverings, face shields and the flat disposable masks do little more than reduce the amount of the wearers secretions that reach common/shared air space.

• Face coverings, face shields and the flat disposable masks do little more than reduce the amount of the wearers secretions that reach common/shared air space.

About 2 months ago I read a article from a university in the US. They researched effectiveness of face masks Vs No face mask on vapour/droplets expelled through the air. In particular the distance travelled and droplet size. Research found the masks were quite ineffective.

I’ve tried to locate the article a few times before to post on here.

Regarding paper envelopes, would”t seepage of moisture potentially breach the paper envelope barrier? Exposing other people as well via contact contamination. Otherwise we could make/use simple Disposable paper face coverings.
    The advice was to fold the face mask inside out to trap any external contamination. This would only be to protect the wearer from External virus potential.

• About 2 months ago I read a article from a university in the US. They researched effectiveness of face masks Vs No face mask on vapour/droplets expelled through the air. In particular the distance travelled and droplet size. Research found the masks were quite ineffective.

I’ve tried to locate the article a few times before to post on here.

Regarding paper envelopes, would”t seepage of moisture potentially breach the paper envelope barrier? Exposing other people as well via contact contamination. Otherwise we could make/use simple Disposable paper face coverings.
    The advice was to fold the face mask inside out to trap any external contamination. This would only be to protect the wearer from External virus potential.

Are we going to split hairs here.

I absolutely would not recommend the use of a face covering, shield or surgical mask in defence of a virus.

The absolute minimum protection should be an ffp2 or n95 rated mask.

If you build up a nice bit of spit or phlegm in your mouth and attempt to spit it through a face covering, shield or surgical mask you will see the effectiveness for yourself..... Similarly if you sneeze.... Also you could ask someone to shoot a water pistol at what you are wearing... Again you would see the effectiveness.

Disposable masks are not intended to be reused because they do not react well with cleaning mediums.

I am putting my underused, disposable masks in a paper envelope for a week and then reusing.

In my particular situation no one else is exposed to the envelope or the environment in which they are kept.

Ffp2 is the minimum requirement for protection against this virus. What the government says and provides is quite another thing!

Edit: I apologise for my tone. Your post did not deserve such attitude....

I remain very fucking angry that known infection control principles were ignored and continue to be ignored in the name of profiteering.

• I use shoes as an anology..... if you had to run across a field of broken glass barefoot it would be dangerous , what you really need is some tough walking boots to be safe, however if all you had is a pair of flip flops they would be preferable to barefoot .

• no offence taken. I was posting simply because I’m a pikey with pikey attitude to the fucking mess this situation has brought upon us all. If wearing a mask in public does no more than advertise to those around me that caution is required while in a shared environment. Shops, work, homes. Then it’s part of my risk assessment.

In the beginning I made it clear I had 5 army gas masks for “us.” These army masks I have trust in. However it transpired to be overkill. To date, I’ve not seen one person wearing one of these army gas masks in public/real life. But we keep them for “get out the City” scenarios.

Lyndsey insisted that I not only remove my cloth (handmade) face mask on entering her home, but I seal it within a plastic ziplock bag. I was happy just to hang it up with my hat and coat. But quite rightly, I would be exposing the family (who “do not” go out in public, shopping or other during lockdown. Otherwise the mask would be shoved in my pocket or thrown/placed on the dashboard in between “uses.”

regarding the mask article. I was “shocked” that the US research results had suggested face masks were pretty ineffective. Like shroom say’s. Even a pair of Sports socks flip flops would make me feel “a little safer” running across a field of broken glass. Even though I may get cut to fuck, I feel like I’m making some sort of effort and hippies won’t stop running in fields regardless of the dangers.

I’m not trying to belittle anyone’s view on H&S or what works and don’t work.

I’ve wore a face mask to enter my pharmacy once every two weeks regardless of what is law. Two days before we were “threatened with a £100 fine. I found myself parked outside the high street chemist and I had left my face mask in a plastic zip lock bag in the waggon. I could have driven back for it or “just like other members of the public & gone in without a face mask. I looked around my van. No scarf or T Shirt (it was very sunny). So I used the windscreen wiping cloth, tied with a large electric band forming a large “stinky” bandana. Went in got my meds. I bough a box of (50) disposable face masks £29.99 while in the chemist, Cos this hassle can seriously mess with your health day.:D

• Just to be clear. The face mask Lyndsey made are of quality material and will take a good hot wash for years to come. The internal pocket is designed to receive a disposable mask.
    Lyndsey made my older brother one with a skull printed on the heavy canvas material and chrome studs in. That’s so cool. I will ask if she took a photograph.