Greetings, Earthlings. I come in peace...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello there, lovely hippie people.

I’m 57 and on page 1 of (re-) discovering how to live, after recently realising that I’ve been doing it wrong all this time.

My latest thought is “what’s the point of insisting in my having a *proper* job when it only brings me stress and makes me unhappy?”.

So now I’m thinking of (at last) actually ditching the business that has been my prison for many years. Not sure what I’m going to live on, but I do have the advantage of having a house, so that gives me some stability. (But a narrowboat would be preferable !)

I’m really looking for lots of lovely people to talk to, to make friends, and see what I can learn from people who’ve already escaped.

• Hello Lentilsoup and wishing you a very warm welcome to the forum.

Firstly I would say do not beat yourself up for the mistakes that you believe that you have made,as they are a vital part of creating the person that you want to be and will be. I am sure that you did what you felt was right at the time and that is no negative thing as it is helping you find the serenity and happiness that you search.

I have never lived on a boat so can not offer much advice in that direction,but will say that there are a few members on here who live and have lived on the canals and I am sure they will be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.

I have spent all of my adult life living in yurts and vehicles and it has brought me much happiness and peace in my life and I hope that if you choose a new direction that you find the same things.

Like in all types of living,you will often get out of it what you put into it so be prepared to do lots of thinking and studying to figure out a beautiful reality for your goodself,though do kniow that no matter where you live or what you live in one can still find inner peace and happiness,though less bills,less distractions and more doing what you want when you want certainly helps towards this.

Wishing you love and luck for your future and please let us know what steps you are taking towards making it happen as we all love to read about a good success story and are equally happy to offer encouragement and a sympathetic ear when things are not going well.

Welcome to ukhippy and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Love and light

fly xxxx

• So now I’m thinking of (at last) actually ditching the business that has been my prison for many years. Not sure what I’m going to live on, but I do have the advantage of having a house, so that gives me some stability. (But a narrowboat would be preferable !)

I’m really looking for lots of lovely people to talk to, to make friends, and see what I can learn from people who’ve already escaped.

here’s a link to a mate’s website. He moved from a house onto the canals some years ago. He is a mind full of useful knowledge and shares it with “other potential narrowboat dwellers.”

https://livingonanarrowboat.co…k_subscriber_id=120548554

• To put it colloquially.... A'int no one escaped yet!

There is no escape (if there was I would be living it) and don't let anyone delude you into thinking otherwise!

You could though sell your house and travel round the world looking for escape and quite possibly have a good time doing so.

• :ahoy:

Fifty-seven must be that sort of age. That was when I was facing homelessness and was in a position to have to decide either a van of a narrowboat. The narrowboat won, but I have a small van too.

Now, eight years later, I still love living on my boat and I'm happy to talk about it at length, so be careful.