Are there any swimmers on here ?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Bonjour mes amis ( hello my friends ),

I enjoy very much going into a beautiful lake with stunning surrounings and swimming around for a while. I probably swim an average of one to two miles each time and enjoy swimming breast stroke slowly with my eyes closed listening to the rippling of the water with the sun on my face.

Every now and then I will do a five minute blast of front crawl to either speed me up towards a destination or just for the exercise.

I swam for two hours on tuesday and four hours yesterday and had every intention of doing another two today,but obviously I over-did it yesterday so managed just over an hour before thinking that my shoulders were aching a bit more than safety allows.

I enjoy swimming in the sea too,and doing a bit of snorkling at the same time to observe our under water neighbours !

What sort of swimming do you enjoy ? Are you a big swimmer ? Do you just like jumping in to cool down?

Without getting too dirty,let us know what your pleasures are in the water.

Love and light to all

fly xxxx

• I’ve enjoyed swimming since being a kid. Pools, ponds, lakes. I had a near drowning in the sea and now Im really cautious, especially if I’m not very familiar with the area and local knowledge isn’t always sought beforehand. Now I struggle with cold water. I clamp up in my back and it’s neither therapeutic nor enjoyable. I sometimes go to the therapy pool about 15 miles away. The temp is much higher than regular swimming pools. But it’s a real bonus.
    I always liked swimming underwater, and for a smoker, I’ve yet to be beaten on distance and time Spent underwater.

I Couldn’t swim for a hour solid ever. I guess my stamina is lacking. I’m encouraging my daughter to swim now. I taught my oldest brother, youngest sister and my eldest daughter to swim. It’s so much fun if not restricted to lane swimming.

• I'm one of the most pathetic swimmers ever. Learned late and casually while buzzing around a girl many years ago. All that can be said about that matter is that after her lessons now I... float. And somewhat move around. Also I float like a cork, which means that I never found a way to swim underwater unless I hug a cinder block before jumping from the boat. I like very much to reach for secluded spots of the local river, the places upstream of the toxic dumps courtesy of Solvay S.A. There waters are clear and full of little fishes and the river flows among small canyons far away from everything.

• i got up to a mile in swimming baths some years ago now ,once on holiday in Spain swam out to a pontoon you had to climb up ladders to get on the top dived in big mistake hit the water thought i had broken my bloody neck

• I Wrongly timed a dive off of rocks into the sea, somewhere down on the Cornish coastline. Loads of kids jumping in before me. Wave was going out by the time I got into it, luckily just enough water left to recover in, but I scrapped my belly on the sandy seabed. I like to watch red bull cliff diving competitions. Got to have some balls to train for that.

• I am no great swimmer, my swim of choice is breast stroke, front crawl is messey, .

May as well bore you with details of my places of swimmery,

the sea several times, a pool in the middle of a moor near me, various becks,

tombstoned off a fairly high bridge near york and the odd head first as a young adult, broke my nose hitting the water but carried on jumping off all day,
    (there was also this rumour you always jumped into the water on the right and the left end of the bridge as there were fence posts near a farmers field.

various waterfalls,

and last year lakes, i had a fear of lakes and seas thanks to my mum she always said lakes where dangerous they shelved off into deep cold drop and i had a massive fear of droppig off and drowning or freezing to death

likewise the sea she said there were undercurrents that dragged you out to sea.

so as a kid i paddled near the shore and till recently never dared swim far out in a lake, thanks mum for all that, my brother and sister meanwhile as kids swam out everywhere.

I think i got the warnings and the safety talk but the practical never came.

• your mum was not wrong with her safety warnings,though shame that she did not give you the full story,but I guess she was being a tad over protective as mums tend to do.

I have had too many scares and knocks to list and most of them could of been avoided,but I like a little bit of risk from time to time,keeps me young. xx

• I

likewise the sea she said there were undercurrents that dragged you out to sea.

I think i got the warnings and the safety talk but the practical never came.

My dad saved me from drowning as a little boy in Bridlington. I was paddling alongside a breaker. Kids must have dug a big hole in the sand and as the tide came in couldn’t be seen Under the water. Luckily it was my brothers job to keep an eye on me. Telling dad I disappeared. Dad waded in fully dressed and pulled me up.

My mother moved to Spain 15 years ago. I visited quite often and like to take advantage of the local coastline. Mum would update me annually about the number of people who had drown that season. So I was aware it can be dangerous. Although flags can sometimes be displayed, folk still go in the sea. I found out that even the most confident of swimmers can be out of their depth. I was shouted at by a beach life guard several times for not appreciating how quickly I was being pulled into deeper water. It’s surprisingly difficult to fight against strong currents.

A tree surgeon/instructor friend was swimming in Africa, when he saw two coloured boys who had got in to difficulty in the sea. He swam to save them, both boys were panicking. He chose one boy to save, but due the the boy panicking, my mate got himself into difficulty. He had to Physically fight the boy off him to save his own life. Not the sort of holiday memories we hope for.

• Nice one Chaya1985, that wasn’t too scary was it? :)
    Your right, it’s a feeling hard to describe to someone who hasn’t tried free swimming. A natural and often beautiful perspective of the environment too. “a ducks or Swans view of the world.” With the added (swans adrenaline rush) of “what if’s” what if weeds wrap around my legs or I get stuck in a discarded old bicycle frame, Then there’s the leaches, pollutants or spoilsports, “get out my pond.” But the “love” can be quite therapeutic, even recommended for some with mental health issues. I like the rush when I’m once again out of the water, thinking, I’m really glad I did that! I have relatives who live in Australia, I can’t imagine being so hot and stifled and yet fear going near the open water where crocodiles or snakes could really bugger up my day. Not to mention sharks and jelly fish in the sea. We really don’t have much to fear about free swimming in the UK, or posting on this forum :D

• I learned to surf in australia and often saw sharks out feeding at both sunrise and sunset,but in general inbetween the two were safe.

I had the pleasure of surfing a wave up in byron bay in queensland with a dolphin just underneath me in the same wave holding eye contact with me all the way to the shore.

If I had not been a good swimmer I would of missed out on that amazing experience.

Swimming opens many doorways,but should be treated with respect so to avoid any dangers. xx

• I learned to swim age 3 in a local outdoor pool. Wouldn't go in the 'deep' indoor pool so Dad chucked me in. I could swim a mile by the time I was 7.

Mum's two brags about me, that and I have stayed married 🙄

Did the competitive stuff with the local club, I was good at distance rather than speed.

Local pool/club couldn't get rid of me so they employed me and put me through my Level 2 teachers.

I added to them over the years.

Did synchro coaching, adult & child, aquafit, pool plant, swimming coaches to level 2( different from the teaching qual) and joined the water polo team at uni.

Taught for myself for over 10 years in 9 different pools and worked for 3 different councils.

Yeah, I swim.

• Yep,you are a swimmer alright :D

• I would love to be able to dive.

Not just, the various types of dive that come with the teaching package, from the poolside, diving from a high board or spring board.

So few pools have a diving pit or someone trained to the right level now in Scotland.

• Have decided that over the mornings this week that I want to swim at least twenty miles. I did about four miles this morning and three a day for the two days before hand so am on track if my muscles allow it !!

I have to go and do a few days work next week after I have got my twenty miles in,and am then afterwards going to try and do the entire lengh and back of lac de st agnan in one hit which will about 6 miles. I am fairly confident that I am ready to set my new personal record and look forward to the challenge. xxx

• Managed another 3 and a half to 4 this morning,but it was much harder going as the wind was blowing and the lake was pretty choppy. At this moment both my back and legs are laughing at the idea of me wanting to keep going for the twenty mile goal,let alone work next week then a six miler,and part of me is laughing with them !!!!

• kin ell, I would need a outboard motor poking out my arse or someone trying to kill me.

Taken from today’s news feed ~ honest.

Cold water swimming: Why an icy dip is good for your mental and physical health

Many people swear by the benefits of cold water swimming, and scientists think that they might be on to something.

Itinerant child’s legs ache with cold as he pushes forwards into the messy grey sea, grey sand stretching behind him, grey sky above. He braces himself against each incoming wave, the wind whipping at his exposed skin. This is the chilling reality of cold water swimming.

His local beach, hippydom, on the western coast of the Neverlands, is a wide expanse of sand running uninterrupted beside the North Sea. It’s July, and the sea temperature is about -6°C. In the water, Intinerant childs skin temperature drops instantly, and after a few minutes, his muscles start to cool, stiffening like chewing gum.

His swim is short in reality, he often swims 40 mile there and back, and warming up takes hours, if he hasn’t been wooding, but he’s elated to be there.

“I was jumping around, shrieking like a schoolboy,” he says, remembering his first taste of cold water swimming. Itinerant childs needed the boost, as three months before, after suffering a personal trauma, drinking far too much and too often, he’d sunk into severe depression.

In the UK, where Itinerant child is originally from, researchers are looking into the scientific benefits of cold water swimming for people who are experiencing mental health problems, such as anxiety and depression.

They’re dipping volunteers into troughs of frigid water in labs, and leading groups into the water beside Brighton Pier. And they’re discovering that cold water immersion can prime you, mentally and physically, to better deal with any stress that might come your way.

How swimming in cold water shocks the body

One man who’s leading the research into cold water swimming is Prof Mike Tipton, an environmental physiologist at the University of Portsmouth. An open water swimmer himself, he studies how people react to sudden immersion.

He says that the mood benefits of cold water swimming can be divided into two phases: the initial ‘cold shock’ response, and then adaptation that happens over the longer term.

If you’ve ever taken a wintry dip, you’ll recognise cold water shock. First, you gasp involuntarily, then hyperventilate. Adrenaline courses through your body. Your heart races. You panic. Although you can’t sense it, your blood pressure is skyrocketing, and glucose and fats are being released into your bloodstream, providing an energy source should you need to make a quick escape. This is the classic ‘fight-or-flight’ response.

This adaptation makes you less reactive to the shock of cold water, but could also make you less reactive to stress

Cortisol, a stress hormone, is released from your adrenal glands, which maintains this state for minutes to hours, while a surge of beta-endorphin hormones in the brain provides pain relief and gives a sense of euphoria. This explains Itinerant chils post-swim high, which felt so good that he and his friend made it a ritual. Every Sunday, they rode their bikes to the beach to go for a dip.

In Prison pond, Titinglips puts his volunteers through a formalised version of Itinerant child’s weekly dips to measure how they adapt to cold shock. He sits his volunteers in a hanging chair, lowers them into a trough of water at 12°C, and keeps them there for about five minutes.

Tipton notes that it only takes six immersions to halve the cold water shock response. In other words, your body learns to adapt: your heart and breathing rates only rise half as much, you panic less and you can control your breathing. This adaptation makes you less reactive to the shock of cold water, but it could also make you less reactive to everyday stress.

Of course, don’t confuse cold water swimming with hygiene, it’s not the same you crusty bastards.

• And they’re discovering that cold water immersion can prime you, mentally and physically, to better deal with any stress that might come your way.

Ah yes, I remember that from school... the old trout that liked to chuck you in the deep end...bitch.

Also remember reading about the Nazis doing a lot of cold water experiments in concentration camps - but not to themselves, of course.

• Defo works, i started cold water jumping when i was in a low mood and its worked for me, the shock makes you forget your woes and life, its a hit thats addictive,

I liken it to that dopamene hit you get on your first pint or glass of wine, but then instead of needing more booze you wake up simar to a strong cup of coffee,

I think i need to do it again jumped in sat aft last week in a cold water pool i know about 2 miles away in the middle of nowhere,

It works the mini fear of the cold water, then the rush as you jump in,

We came from water and sea,

a fine place to be.

• Muscles were feeling a bit tight this morning so I did not go too far out into the middle of the lake. Managed to do about two miles and then got a cramp in my calf that was ridiculously horrible. As I was aware of this maybe happening I was only a couple of hundred of metres out and was comfy enough knowing that I have enough strengh in my shoulders to swim to the shallows to get my feet down to walk the cramp out by using just my arms and not my legs. My twenty miles this week is looking a bit further away now,but will try again tomorrow and tuesday morning but stay not too far from the shore just in case. Have maybe over done it a bit :-)

• Once while bathing at the river my bathing suit ripped open. So I started swimming with jeans on. Worst swimming experience, needless to say. Idk what people were thinking about that , too o_O

Salute, o Satana, / O ribellione,
    O forza vindice / De la ragione !

(G.Carducci)

The post was edited 1 time, last by cangaceiro ().

• Just today and tomorrow to go to get in my twenty miles in six days and have got about four miles to go before I meet my clients tomorrow lunchtime. I shall certainly stay nearer to the shallows today to keep an eye out for any cramps. If I am fine today then can go back out across the lake tomorrow. Its nicer being further out as I get to see nature on both sides of the lake and in the air that I dont get to see when on solid ground as the animals dont hear me :-)