'We weren't doing anything wrong': Riot police break up illegal party in west London

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Another night of illegal street raves in the London area. Another bill the taxpayer has to cover for police intervention, hospital admission and local authority clean up bill. I’m all in favour of impromptu get to gethers, parties and unlicensed raves (when and where appropriate). During this lockdown it’s hard to condone any of the later due to health risks and pressures on emergency services.

We have all stretched our well meaning obligation and compliance with the COVID- 19 rules if not to the breaking point. So any chance of normality or intense entertainment must seem appealing to many of us.

A small group of revellers from last nights event, have stated (apparently) that they are doing nothing wrong.
    Under normal circumstances this type of event would be held out of the way, in a abandoned industrial area, under a motorway bridge or in some field/forest.

To kick off a impromptu banging sound system outside none consenting residential properties, wouldn’t be considered expectable in peace time, without consultation with locals, em services and community groups and council big wigs. Obviously all the preparation for a approved, legal event comes with paperwork, site meetings, insurance, licenses and other staff time.

So an illegal alternative approach to entertainment might sound greener and achievable. But then it’s not normal times. What is the Policing bill for this one night event? I’m guessing 50 x Police officers on 11hour shift, so that’s 3 hours overtime each officer. Now most of these coppers could very well have been scheduled to work this Friday evening. Maybe some extra officers programmed in to cover, in anticipation of the past weekends of illegal street parties. 7 x Police officer were injured and maybe off work.

Sky News reports today.

They weren't happy that their illegal party ended abruptly.

I'm told the minute ravers saw flashing blue lights, everyone on the Havelock Close estate in White City, west London, started to disperse, spilling out into the streets.

Officers in riot gear seen running towards the estate were met with hostility.

Alongside me were a large group of teenagers, all flinging stones and bottles.

I asked one man, who chucked several bricks at officers, why he was so angry. “I just don't like the way they turned up and were being so aggressive with us," he told me.

"We weren't doing anything wrong."

So opinions please.

A) Should residents, local authorities work with the public/event organisers to limit disturbance/conflict and allow these events to take place or identify a alternative venue.

b) turn a blind eye and leave folk alone to have a blow out.

c) Expect the police to uphold the law, even if that requires extra police in riot gear and further expense for local authority budgets and Increased council tax bills.

So is the statement : 'We weren't doing anything wrong' correct?

• No, it isn't.

I would be the first to go to a rave (been to many in the past) however, they were in empty warehouses on empty industrial estates (one was in a field miles from anywhere), there was no alcohol and mostly the drugs were E and puff. It's hard to get a fight up in ya when you're E'd off your face! That was at a time when there wasn't a pandemic.

Now there is a pandemic and these people were in a residential area.

Having said that, look at the way government, friends and family are behaving. It's kind of understandable why these things are happening. Also media daily underlining that it's only old people who will get it, not young people, how young people will pick up the bill, how young people will suffer - even The Guardian is at it.

• One cannot expect that all the people will comply with social distancing forever. It is simply not feasible, it is against the human nature. It is possible to practice isolation for a month, six months, maybe a bit longer provided that there is consensus about the effectiveness of the lockdown but in the long term a life spent in isolation isn't even worth the hassle of being lived at all and people will snap ever more in the future. Perpetual isolation, no handshakes, no hugs, everyone sealed in a plastic bubble: I am SURE that there is a bunch of sick nazi control freak degenerates out there that would cheer to that. I propose to grab and throw them all into a septic tank. We are experiencing a pandemic: not the first time, surely not the last. I am no denier of that and I believe in the effectiveness of temporary lockdown measures , but not in the "new normal" state of perpetual isolation we should all accept without questions. It's insane bullshit.

• Now i think this has been in the pipeline for a long time, i am a sceptical old b tard these days, but i think everything has been turbo charged on an extreeme left wave, there was a documetary on the bbc i loved it it was of a time i thought this is great all about raves, but to be fair it was a time when i was at school the rave scene died when i started going out and it was all grunge then rave made a comeback in the club scene of the 90s.

but this seems poliitcal like the man is spoon feeding schoolkids how to kick against the establishment and have a rave, and notice many bame kids.

just the building blocks for a start of something i thought.

just a shame the seed was planted in kids minds cos now they want to party and say fkk it but its different times and its dangerous times.

A left bbc docu political depth charge was bombed aring this, i am amazed it isnt airing at the moment just to kick more steem up

• I mentioned to my o/h that “theirs no longer respect shown to the elders”. Her comment kind a shocked me. She said “why should they be shown respect or Be respected.”
    She is 20 years my younger, so the next generation-ish. I was brought up to respect those that had cut cloth before me, maybe worked hard, in less than ideal, EU standard conditions, possibly fought or lived through WW11, pushed back on the old guard ways and now struggled to coupe with the modern world.

But on considering her statement. Many of “these elders” did nothing for the good of mankind, many took advantage of their time, climbed off the backs of their predecessors and selfishly lapped up all the worlds generosity. Not to dismiss any individuals struggle or fights.
    I’m still the person who voluntarily shows respect to my elders. I often great OAP as Sir. but now I question my time to come as a OAP in the modern world. I’m thinking I might need to remain fighting fit, cos I’m not ready to take shit from any git who prefers to hide their face when striking out from a angry crowd & if your music is too loud or shit, I’m still going to say so. :pp

Should we show respect to our elders, elders in general or is that a privilege too far in a pc world? :whistle:

• Respect is something that should be earned, not something given as a right. Courtesy, on the other hand, is something one can try to offer everyone unless they prove they aren't worth the effort.

I cringe when someone calls me "sir". On the other hand, I do like the French form of addressing friends and strangers. I am aware of the contradictions.

• Hmm the young ones have always in some way been rude to the old ones, and the old ones or the aging ones who were rude to the old ones have always said its getting worse its gone on for wuite a long time.

For the Roman historians, the contemporary period formed a part of an eternal spiral of moral decline that contrasted starkly with the glorious age of their virtuous ancestors. In the preface to his History of Rome, for example, Livy remarked that in his own time “we can bear neither our diseases nor their remedies.” Remarks such as that are commonplace throughout Roman historiography.

Roman writers tended to emphasize the nobility of the “first people” who, as the Roman historian Tacitus noted, lived “for a time without a single vicious impulse, without shame or guilt, and, consequently, without punishment and restraints. Rewards were not needed when everything right was pursued on its own merits.”

but personally i was fearful of elders esp grandparents. and i was a good kid, however as a young adult i rebelled as systematic bullying at school and college made me into a bad tempered paraniod anxious and somtimes cocky young man,

Never gave grandparents lip, but rebelled a bit, and was hard work for my parents.

I think they never really got over how hard work i was as a young adult.

• Roman writers tended to emphasize the nobility of the “first people” who, as the Roman historian Tacitus noted, lived “for a time without a single vicious impulse, without shame or guilt, and, consequently, without punishment and restraints. Rewards were not needed when everything right was pursued on its own merits.”

What used to be referred to as "history" we now often have to recognise as simply "story".

In that instance Tacitus might might have begun his history with, "Once upon a time ...".

• you know iff all shop doors were automatic there would be no issues for feminists with chivalrous males holding doors open causing offence,

and less chance of virus spreading.

but i was at a electricians shop the other month and all in its around 10k to knck out buy and fit apparently, that maybe why you dont see many of them about.

• you know iff all shop doors were automatic there would be no issues for feminists with chivalrous males holding doors open causing offence,

and less chance of virus spreading.

but i was at a electricians shop the other month and all in its around 10k to knck out buy and fit apparently, that maybe why you dont see many of them about.

I think me and you Should get back on topic. We are both entering dangerous ground. He/she her ..... I open doors for anyone and sometimes it’s appreciated when doors are held open for me. I’ll leave it at that :)

• Since ketamine started up on the rave scene,there are far fewer hugs that there used to be when it was mostly lsd and mdma based so as long as they are not all sitting in their cars wobbling out together then I do not see a problem.

The way that I danced back in the day,I passed by many a person but very few got close enough to me to share a virus !!

Keep the hugs to a minimum and dance like no one is watching would be my advice :-)