We've been given notice

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Brighton & Hove have served letters saying after July 4 we must go or they will take enforcement proceedings.

You've got to laugh - took six weeks for them to organise water etc but for this they are ahead.

I'm deciding whether to stay and go to court and remind them of their statement that the city is a 'sanctuary' and welcomes diversity, or just fuck off on a road trip for as bit then come back.

• Brighton & Hove have served letters saying after July 4 we must go or they will take enforcement proceedings.

You've got to laugh - took six weeks for them to organise water etc but for this they are ahead.

I'm deciding whether to stay and go to court and remind them of their statement that the city is a 'sanctuary' and welcomes diversity, or just fuck off on a road trip for as bit then come back.

I would go before you get shoved, you never know when you might want to return (with a clean slate) Im glad they helped you out during the lockdown.

come up to Yorkshire and see me!!

• come up to Yorkshire and see me!!

Thank you! Have also been invited to Spain. I'm also thinking about getting a political thing going to challenge and change the environment regards vehicle living people, I'm just not sure I want to commit to what will be a huge amount of time and energy. There's just no good reason why transit camps / motorhome pitches / semi permanent camps can't be created - Judy NIMBYism, prejudice and the general anti-fun brigade.

• That would be a LOT of time and energy just to work out the definition and how it would be regulated and populated.

It would be a lot of time and after the experience of advocating for facilities for all of us during lockdown I'm not sure I want to give up my time. It was hard to get consensus between just six of us but what really pissed me off was the one guy who, on learning travel restrictions would be lifted, wrote to the council individually pleading poverty and asking if he (not the rest of us) could be allowed to remain in this layby. Of course the council said no, be would be moved on. I was very disappointed after all the work FFT and I did on behalf of everyone here that he tried to save just himself.

I weep for my ideal if an anarchist society where everyone takes responsibility for their actions and conducts themselves with respect for each other and the planet!

• I know that the story of David and goliath pleases most of us,but in the law of averages it is very rare that David wins.

Going on personal experience of taking on the french government and having been up against the uk government when living on traveller sites in the nineties,I personally say that sometimes it is best to take a whack on the chin and carry on living as the fight can be a long and fruitless battle which wastes the time that you could be enjoying.

Injustice sucks,but sometimes it is the only outcome and the best thing to do is pick yourself up and create a new and better reality. xx

• One of the group has invited the council round for a meeting and for them to see our vehicles. That was last week, and the council indicated a meeting was possible. However, no date has been set. I know the person from here has chased... we shall see what the council elect to do.

I am fine, I have options, I am not tied to any one place, I have work which I can do remotely (mostly), I have friends who have offered me space, and there are lots and lots of laybys. I am fine. I can just drive off to Canterbury to do some work for my friend who needs me physically to be there, and then come back to Brighton and keep moving from park up to park up. By the time they are aware I am somewhere, I am somewhere else.

However, I am very annoyed that the council views me as 'vulnerable' (their word) and thinks that I have somehow been tossed around in the winds of life, blown this way and that, all completely outwith my control or consent, and I am so feeble in mind and body, so pliable and so compliant that I have just gone along with this and whoops here I am at the bottom of the heap, forced to live in a lorry. NO! That makes me so angry, it's so fucking patronising, it's rude, it's offensive. It's lazy thinking. This is a choice, a conviction, a religion almost - certainly a philosophy. It's my stand against the rape of this planet, my way of reducing my demands on our fragile ecosystem. This is how I live, autonomously, in a home I own.

So I will take on the council and all comers, living in vehicles is a thing, it saves space, resources and council money. I will take this forward, I will not have my decision dismissed by someone who doesn't know me, anything about me, my business, my health, what my vehicle is, where my vehicle is, what is inside it. This is prejudice, it's discrimination and I will try to do something about it.

• I'm hoping MillieMercedes lets us know what happens in the meeting. I suspect the council will try to avoid a face to face meeting...they are much more used to being keyboard warriors.

I do feel for you with the reaction of people because you live in a lorry (good for you by the way). We were between houses (on purpose) having sold up for about 9 months and lived in our camper. It was certainly an eye opener when you were asked for an address and you just told people 'no fixed abode'. Attitudes changed immediately!

Anyway, good luck with it all, don't let the bar stewards win

• Being of nomadic persuasion and having been evicted from my own forest in Brittany I have every sympathy for this situation,but stirling I will have you know that my brother is a bar steward and is a damn nice guy and I can not understand why you would not want him or his hard working co-workers to win :whistle:

• I do the letter writing, another of the group is on the meeting, she is a very determined person. So far the request has been passed up to a more senior colleague. We wait to hear. I will be working away for two weeks, kind of hoping in a way that the council will delay until I get back, but on the other hand hope they don't delay.

I am asking where are the alternative park ups they are providing for us, what mandate they are following to say we are trespassing here, and please reply to my earlier email (inter alia demolishing their contention that I was putting myself at more risk (of contracting coronavirus) by staying in my truck (where I have exclusive use of everything) rather than going in their shared accommodation).

BTW one man from here was offered accommodation. He did go to view it. He said as he walked down the road towards the building be observed three police cars parked outside there was a woman with a knife, she was trying to stab the police officers. He decided not to go live there.

• That's shitty, sorry to hear.

It was nearly ten years ago when it happened when I had a nice yurt in my forest and I got chucked out because sarkozy had brought out a new law to try and stop people living a nomadic lifestyle in France and sadly they chose to use me and my girlfriend at the the time as the test case. The decision had been made well before the court case and the government had to win. Long and short they illegally changed the classification of my land the day I went to court.

Have had a great life since then as went back on the road again and have travelled around many countries since,so no matter what shit the world throws at you,there is always a positive that comes from it if one stays positive and puts in a bit of effort to create a better reality.

Thanks for the concern guys xxxx

• We see it all too often with land ownership, land sales, land dealings. Corruption, lies and manipulation. Rarely do we find, “my word is my bond.” Open, frank and fair transactions. One persons luck/plans are railroaded by corrupt or leaning planning officials/departments, persons in authority and individuals involved.
    Like Milliemercedes mentioned: The planners are scared of approving some development, as one-thing can easily lead to another and once the concrete ball starts rolling, it can rarely be halted or reversed with ease or permanency. A barn today, a holiday flat tomorrow. Although tools are available and system criteria is in place for the approving planners. Corruption by association is endemic in a greedy world.

I look on old maps and see outlines of buildings long gone. Now yesterdays footprint is tomorrow’s incentive. Man stands in the way of the next jungle, where cities fall and civilisation disperse and deserts pile on sand covering building sites.
    Yet for many “a gipsy caravan is too much settling down.” or so they legislate.

The Dutch would like to dam the North Sea, maybe drain the English Channel a little, leading to a reemergence of Doggerland. Which could then be put back on the real estate market. like they did with the Fenlands. What starts as a coastal flooding prevention planning proposal, with time and corruption can become the next round of land grab and planning development. From sea to desert and all the forests in between. Your lucky if you can lawfully rest your head on the land you own, although time can be limited indefinitely.