School lessons

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Following (sort of) from my ET thread, I feel a little cheated by what I was taught at school - although it was a long time ago, but still...

In RI there was no hint or suggestion of any other belief system, there was Christianity and that was it.

In history the pyramids were graves (they are not), nothing about their celestial alignment. Nothing about our deplorable exploitation, colonialism, slaughter of native peoples.

Oh, and, boys did interesting Metalwork and Woodwork, us girls weren't allowed to; we had Cookery (boring, and I will never forget my disgusting soused herrings and sponge cake with the mysterious grey uncooked middle) and Needlework (actually okay but I would have liked the choice).

On the subject of sex discrimination; I wanted to go in the RAF and fly jets but back then they said 'no women pilots' - and were allowed to :(:cursing:.

• i was lucky,when i got to secondary they d just changed it so girls and boys could do all the craft subjects,and i came top in a class of lads at woodwork..standard schooling shouldnt restrict what you are interested in and wish to study,although i know it does at the time ,due to maturity and being a teen dosnt always give you the oumph to "go get"..if i knew now id be an arborist,but at 54 im a tad old to go swinging through trees lol xx

• Hi Millie, its never to late to hit your thumb with a hammer doing some carpentry or get arc eye from welding.

I remember being chucked in cookery class with all the girls as punishment for snapping all the files in half in the metalwork shop. I remember a group of us were fascinated at how the hardened steel exploded as it shattered under pressure.

• For those of us that went to school in pre metric days you may remember that in mathematics it was drummed in to you that you couldn't multiply feet and inches by feet and inches without changing it into decimals.

On leaving school I got a job as a trainee surveyor and the first thing they showed me at work was how to multiply feet and inches by feet and inches...without converting it into decimals.

You used a simple little system called duo decimals (used a base of 12 instead of 10).

It was so simple it destroyed at a stroke any notions that I had been taught any reality at school...questioned everything since!

Any of you out there needed to make use of duo decimals?

• Even doing measurements for a bit of carpentry today, I tend to use both imperial and metric systems. Feet and inches are fine for fairly rough work, down to millimetres for the finer stuff.

Asking around at the Shed, I found a lot of retired craftsmen my age said they had always done this, it was a damn sight easier than using fractions of an inch.

• Metric or imperial...to have a choice of both learned systems would be a luxury, when I asked one of our groundworkers what the slab dimensions were I was given the following information...' it's this piece of string and a brick long by two lengths of ply and three kerbs wide'. Not sure what school he went to

• I went to an all boys' school and I would like to have done something useful such as woodwork or metalwork like many of my friends did or even cookery (it wasn't offered, so no chance!). However, some of us had to study Latin instead. I'm not suggesting Latin hasn't been useful occasionally, but I suspect woodwork and/or metalwork might have been useful more often.

Incidentally, its funny how things work out. Music often came top of a poll of the least useful subjects at school before the National Curriculum embedded a strong practical component in the subject. I was excluded from taking music when it came to exam subject options. The music teacher and I didn't see eye to eye on a number of issues and he made it clear I would neither be welcome nor accepted if I applied.

Having made my working life in music I am reminded of my professional dancer daughter who was told by the careers teacher at her school to "forget about all this dancing nonsense and think about a job with more prospect of work". She was even more determined than I was and has been working for over twenty years.

• Yup Millie.... School was a lie.

I wasn't under any illusion about its authenticity when I reached my teens and mostly sat through the attempted brainwashing without paying attention.

My first real proof came age 18 when meeting the Irish and understanding just how hard they had been suppressed/murdered by englanders.

From there my understanding of how hated this shitty, obfuscational nation is has blossomed...

• Hi Millie, its never to late to hit your thumb with a hammer doing some carpentry or get arc eye from welding.

I remember being chucked in cookery class with all the girls as punishment for snapping all the files in half in the metalwork shop. I remember a group of us were fascinated at how the hardened steel exploded as it shattered under pressure.

I learned a while ago to hold nails* and tacks with needle-nosed pliers so I don't hit my thumb - I do a fair bit of woodwork making repairs and alterations to my various live-in vehicles. I have a peculiar two-handed method of sawing, odd but effective. Everything takes a long time: I have to figure out what I want, what to use, what tools I might need, how to do it. I like to recycle and repurpose stuff where possible which takes longer.

Back to school. In Chemistry the teacher wanted us to learn the Valency Tables. For my memory to work it needs something to hang the information on, if that makes sense, a reason why. I needed to understand what property of an element put it in a particular column. The teacher wouldn't say. So I never learned it. From then on the whole thing was a mystery and I used to draw in lessons. One time we had a supply teacher who didn't want me to draw, she asked me some questions but when she realised I had no clue what she was on about she gave up, I wasn't allowed to draw but she didn't press the questioning.

History was a bore-fest of learning-by-rote dates, dates, dates. Guaranteed to extinguish any interest in a subject which now fascinates me.

I loved maths though and find it useful almost every day. Did Latin for a year, loved it, brilliant teacher, wish I could have carried that on but family moved and I was sent to a dismal boarding school which I hated and got expelled from in the first term.

* but prefer to glue and screw.