The 28 day rule, land

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm wondering if I found a loophole....

The 28 day rule....... Camping on your own land...

The legal definition of a 'Day ' is 24 hours. So that means you are allocated 672 hours in a year.....

So if you stay for example 5 hours on the land for a nap and completely leave and come back, you should be able to stretch your time on the land..... ...if you do this you should be able to stay months on a piece of land

Correct me if I'm wrong :insane:

• unfortunately it is classed as in 24 hours. Eg. Sleep at any time within that 24 hour is one of the 28 days. We have some very informative threads about the 28 day rule on here, somewhere. Many of us have bought land, have lived on it, fought the planning dept and Secratary of State on appeal and been evicted. :D Got the T shirt. Wore it out and stayed from the next size up. Bastards will grind you down, even if you think your stealth. But I do like your enthusiasm :thumbup:

• I read a book called Off Grid by Nick Rosen. Old now but well researched with good links and anyway a very good read. Planning Officers said to him that they (the ones who weren't opposed to us on principle - for 'principle' read 'prejudice') were apprehensive that if they awarded residential planning user to a piece of land for one / two / half a dozen vans, yurts, benders a development company would rock up, offer ££££s to the settlement for the land with the planning permission, and promptly build 50 houses. I think that was before the days of Ben Law who got residential permission for his straw bale house in the woods BUT conditional that if he leaves or when he dies the house is demolished and land returned to natural / former state.

I have been working on this a little bit during lockdown on my own, with others and with FFT (Friends, Families of Travellers). There is a lot of prejudice and ignorance, due to media potrayal. The media lives to paint us as a whole group who leave litter and mess and commit crime. Personally I'm too busy working in my own business (as are three of my current neighbours) to have the time to commit any crimes - let alone that I'm law-abiding anyway and hate litter. We regularly litter-pick our current park up. The litter is left by a local rubbish clearance company and locals eating takeaway food.

Prejudice. Oh and 'But they don't pay Council Tax'. I'm on this too - a lot of people don't pay CT and anyway tax isn't a membership fee or subscription, it doesn't entitle anyone to anything, it's just a way of raising funds for govt and local authorities.

• Sorry MrPlumberry, went on a bit of a tangent there. The 28 Day Rule. So, the Camping & Caravanning Club allow you to stay for 28 nights, then leave for 24 hours, then come back for another 28 and so on. In the Ops Manual this is for people working away from home for a period and at the manager's discretion. In reality it allows the club to fill pitches in the off season. (But don't expect a warm, or any, welcome in high season and especially if you have a converted vehicle). This is clearly not intended for full timers, but is however used extensively by full timers. The club turn a blind eye (mostly, but this depends on the managers, some of whom are really nice people and some of whom are total cunts). There were many full timers on the Hertford site where I used to live. The shit hit the fan when people (a) tried to claim housing benefit (b) tried to get their free bus pass. This alerted the council who massively cracked down on it (citing, 'They don't pay Council Tax - see my other post re tax). Apparently the council threatened to revoke the club's licence for the site. Haven't been back for some time now, but I know people who still live there.

If you rock up to a field and park up you're pretty obvious. On a camp site you mingle in with the recreational campers. Perhaps if you park up, plant some seeds and disappear for a few days, come back for a few days, tend your 'garden', disappear. Leave no litter, shop in the local shops, get talking to people so they know you don't have two heads or eat small children (or whatever it is that building-dwelling folk think we do). But mostly, be seen to be leaving regularly.

Or, why don't thirteen people buy thirteen pieces of land? Each stay for 28 nights and then move on to the next owned piece of land. Is the 28 night rule attached to a particular vehicle or to the land?

• Good thinking re group buy land and just hop every 28 days:) .... I Wonder the legality....

I wrote this whilst half sober, haven't done it before so don't take it seriously......

It's Time to get crafty.....

Rule number 1......do this only during the day, bugger off during the night.....thats a big feck you to anyone who does not approve..... You will become a night owl from now onwards, we need more people awake during the night to advance civilisation.......

Firstly, sleep is a waste of time, just as Thomas jefferson used to say. But we have to do it....

Only some people can do this, depending on your circumstances, So that this does not cause any bother whatsoever .... Single, no kids and healthy and most importantly disciplined....

Buy a small plot of cheap pasture land, turn it into a beautiful allotment and put a small shed on the land.....

Make sure the shed is windowless and can lock from the inside.

Inside your shed you will have all your tools needed to maintain the allotment as per norm....

In The centre of the shed will be the most comfiest chair ever created , an awesome reclining chair with maybe a leg rest...... Lock yourself inside the shed and Proceed to Put your sunglasses* and headphones on and drift off into the most beautiful and safe sleep on your comfy chair... Strictly No sleeping bags or blankets and no pillows....those days are over.... So make sure you are wearing nice and warm clothes.....

If you're unnecessarily paranoid, your plot of land will be rigged with trip alarms if anyone in the very unlikely event tries to access your plot(which only you can hear with your headphones), this will wake you up and you can quickly pull out your newspaper and sip on ye cold coffee as that's all you were doing, chilling reading a newspaper...you don't want anyone to catch you sleeping .... As unfortunately some people want you to pay to sleep. ..the beauty is its impossible to prove you are sleeping unless you have scientific machines strapped onto you.......

Your life will be very different from now onwards, once in your shed on your land you won't be allowed to do anything normal like watch TV, cook, shower, no friends or family staying over, bugger all, it's a strictly sleep on the chair and once you have woken to immediately vacate the plot of land and proceed to contribute to society during the night in the towns or cities....

Signup to a gym for a shower a shit and a shave, time your shits carefully as no toilets in shed..... A Piss pot will be your best friend tho....

*Sunglasses are good to hide your sleeping or sleepy eyes.... Anyone will have a hard time proving you are sleeping....

:p

• The whole no sleeping in your vehicle is nonsense - on one hand we are told to pull over and take a break if we are tired, and if you're tired what do you do? Sleep of course! Also, what about sleeping during the day? Is that verboten? No, I don't think so. What about lorry drivers with sleeper cabs? Purposely made for them to... wait, oh yeah, sleep in. So now we have a rule which only applies some of the time so some of the people which just goes to show that these are purely and simply anti-traveller (I am including gypsies, irish travellers, travellers, new travellers and anyone else who wants to join in) measures. Pure and simple prejudice. Pure and simple irrational, uninformed, ignorant, NIMBY, knee-jerking fucking nonsense.