100 posts a day forum

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Having a laugh. Back when hippies were connecting online, Im sure there were five to ten threads started each day and 100 plus post per day was what kept many of us out the pub and engaged. We are close to averaging one thread a day on a good day. Yet the world for most of us has never been so fragmented and confusing. I know there isn’t one of us who isn’t suffering in one way or another. It may not be financial, our home life or lack of one, relationships, job prospects or political point of view. it could be something deep within us, just now triggered by all that’s been going on.

We all have something to say, to talk about, to share. Why not take the opportunity to share your concerns, insecurities, worries, hopes or dreams. Sometimes getting another view point can help us to see the obvious or help us formulate decisions and stimulate ideas into focused actions.

What have you got to loose? A little time, what have you got to gain? Only you will know that.

So come on. Who are you? What you done? What you want to do? Where you going? What’s your fears? Talk to us!

• Hi

I'm thinking that the world as we are currently living it has given many of us 13 weeks of increasing apathy...can't be good for anyone and perhaps not conducive to posting..

And yes, reading the posts brightens my day (not always but most of the time!), but, guilty as charged... I read a lot but rarely post. I think I am one of many who (perhaps erroneously) thinks that nobody would be interested in what I have to say. So I will henceforth make a point of posting on a regular basis and perhaps all you shy ones will join me...if you have an opinion on something then it's a valid opinion and is worthy of a response. Be prepared for people to agree with you or perhaps shoot you down in flames in equal measures. At least if you get shot down in flames you will be getting perhaps an equally valid viewpoint. If you don't post it you will never know:)

• Nice one Stirlingb :thumbup::)

Life’s a bit like gardening. It looks easy for some, but many of us that have a go, forget to water, or find we don’t put the time in to tend the growing plants. In reality we are all capable of doing our best and if conditions are suitable. We become those gardeners folk think it comes easy to. None of us have all the answers, skills are learnt as we go along. One thing I gather from most folk is they have ideas and often goals. Achieving them goals is the same as gardening. Put it out there, tend it. Give it time and nurture those skills. People are like the veg/plants. Plenty of variety, potential and there’s always room to grow and spread out. Often other folk can nurture us too. Show us what’s on the packet. A season is a longtime and we are all growing together. :)

• Social media is king nowadays, and yet everyone moans about lack of freedom, and how they get censored by the Silicon Valley superpowers.

But in days gone by when forums were king, if we didn't like the rules we could quickly find elsewhere to go.

I personally only ever delete material if it's illegal or threatening, or move elsewhere it for the sake of organisation -- and while that doesn't imply perfect freedom of speech (which I accept) I do strive to allow it within the remit of keeping things afloat and safe.

The internet microcosm just demonstrates how small government is way better than big governments. :/

• I think you have it just right Paul. It might actually be easier just the one person modding. Though your always on duty like the home guard. Roamer would have got by me plenty of times by now.
    I’m noticing far more ruthless, two faced censorship on social media than ever before. What bugs me about it is they target those with the biggest message and most followers and not necessarily the most dangerous or offensive using platforms. How informative social media could become if censorship was implemented responsibly or stopped altogether.

• This place to helped me in some bad days, kinda miss the old days dont know what happened really, often wonder where the older members who posted copiously and moderated this place went.

dont know if there is still this rule but to become a member you had to post a lot of posts to be in ukh, so newbies posted any old stuff, some was a bit silly but it got conversation going some was out there and always engaging, and sometimes it kind of was like a soap opera id come back from work log on and see all hell had broken loose.

I think quite a bit of flirting went on, maybe now flirting is not allowed but it was all inocent online hugs, flirting and a good place, its still a good place but not as busy.

• There's a dangerous trend on social media, where it's been taken over by the new 'hashtag' loving woke brigade -- and people who've been on the side of social justice for decades are now thrown under the bus for not buying the identity politics ideology.

I just don't know what to do about it.

• There's a dangerous trend on social media, where it's been taken over by the new 'hashtag' loving woke brigade -- and people who've been on the side of social justice for decades are now thrown under the bus for not buying the identity politics ideology.

I just don't know what to do about it.

I don't know what this means.

I don't do social media and genuinely don't understand hashtag.

I also don't know what 'identity politics ideology" means in the above context.

I would think that "woke" is fairly self explanatory shorthand but maybe Im wrong about that.

I really, genuinely and absolutely don't understand what is meant above Paul.

But you know and all should know to pay no mind to my thoughtful (or should that read "thoughtless") simplicity.

As you were folks.

Dont be shy.

.... Not gonna happen is it? .. Pretty much everyone is judgmental and sorrowful and confused by what they find when practicing introspection.....with very good reason too.

• I also don't know what 'identity politics ideology" means in the above context.

It's a continuation of the more radical left from the past, but instead of focusing on equality, they focus more on race and gender in terms of continuing oppression.

So, by using 'intersectional' theory, they will assign privilege according to characteristics -- therefore, all white men are 'privileged', and part of white supremacy and have no voice in any argument because of their immutable characteristics -- unless of course you're an ally, which usually means you have humbly accepted your inherited privilege (regardless of whether you're piss poor, homeless or whatever), and so on.

It's not that the theory is always incorrect, it's more that it falls short and fails to take individuality into account, and is used to make accusations towards (and silence) people who would otherwise be on the same side -- such as JK Rowling in her recent gender argument.

• Ta.

That wasn't what I gleened from previously reading around 'intersectional theory' and 'identity politics ideology' but I will now have another look.

My reading so far finds little difference between social justice and intersectionalism and identity politics but I'll have another more critical read of what I can find.

• It's a continuation of the more radical left from the past, but instead of focusing on equality, they focus more on race and gender in terms of continuing oppression.

So, by using 'intersectional' theory, they will assign privilege according to characteristics -- therefore, all white men are 'privileged', and part of white supremacy and have no voice in any argument because of their immutable characteristics -- unless of course you're an ally, which usually means you have humbly accepted your inherited privilege (regardless of whether you're piss poor, homeless or whatever), and so on.

It's not that the theory is always incorrect, it's more that it falls short and fails to take individuality into account, and is used to make accusations towards (and silence) people who would otherwise be on the same side -- such as JK Rowling in her recent gender argument.

Intersectional theory appears to encourage all people's who feel discriminated against to consider all and wide ranging forces that might contribute to felt discrimination and attempt to acknowledge those forces in a logical fashion.

Importantly it seeks to expand terms of reference by discouraging the idea that discrimination manifests from a single position or prejudice.

This appears to contradict the meaning that you given.