Eating meat is 'natural' - but still cruel? [split thread]

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• iv wanted to stop eating animals for a long time iv cut down meat consumption to only eating what i hunt and not eating animals that have been farmed for the purpose. Eating animals is natural to a lot of spiecies on earth indont dissagre with eating animals but i dissagree with the mass explotation of animals for profit.

• iv wanted to stop eating animals for a long time iv cut down meat consumption to only eating what i hunt and not eating animals that have been farmed for the purpose. Eating animals is natural to a lot of spiecies on earth indont dissagre with eating animals but i dissagree with the mass explotation of animals for profit.

Yeah I agree....We have always been hunter gatherers. But the disgusting mass production of cheap available meat has lead to the exploitation and abuse of innocent animals. If only everyone ate a minimal amount of meat (like our digestive systems are actually designed for). It would make the farming industry much more humane. After being a long term veggie, I will now occasionally eat meat but the majority of time I'll choose meat alternatives.

• The respect for the food we eat has gone for main stream society.The waste is discussting without these animals and plants we eat we wouldnt be here.We should have passion and respect for everything that connects us with life. The cow is idolised in hinduism simply becuase how much it contributes to the quality of human life. Im not religious but iv studided a few religions and take a lot of my beliefs from there ideologys.

• I believe eating animals is an individual's choice not a species i make choices in my life based on whats good for me. I respect others choices based on whats good for them. I humans never needed to adopt the butt smelling thing our natural scents are pungent enough to be smelt across the room. I dont like or agree with the explotation unnecessary pain or suffering of any animal. I eat very little meat iv been long periods without eating meat my beliefs have changed as iv tried to learn who i am. The life in the animal is the same life in me and the body of the animal is the same stuff as me we are both consciousness and dirt only our perception separates

• Greed increased, respect decreased as food supply was taken for granted and more removed from people’s everyday lives. it’s been great over the last few years, the broadcasting of unethical treatment of animals and plant based diets even becoming fashionable. I could never have imagined that all those years ago when I first became veggie. I don’t think most people are intentionally careless or cruel when it comes to animals, I think they just never gave it any though like a lot of things that aren’t in front of their faces. Out of sight out of mind. I do feel more hopeful now towards a real change in society’s attitudes toward industrial meat farming and consumption of meat..let’s hope it continues to progress...

• We have always been hunter gatherers.

As far as I know, we haven't always been hunter gatherers in the way we commonly understand it -- we've mostly been scavenger-gatherers, moving to larger animals as a means to survive various ice ages.

We're not hunter gatherers now either, as we don't really go hunting with a Tesco on the corner.

But the disgusting mass production of cheap available meat has lead to the exploitation and abuse of innocent animals.

And how is any other form of unecessary meat eating not exploitation? If you can choose an alternative, and you still opt for the death, then surely you're still exploiting?

digestive systems are actually designed for

Well, we may not have been designed at all -- but our digestive systems have not really evolved for meat consumption. Animals that are meant to eat flesh have a very short intestine, so it doesn't rot inside their guts.

• All i can say the man who started this thread is brave, as paul is majorly passionate about his beliefs, which i respect

Well, we may not have been designed at all -- but our digestive systems have not really evolved for meat consumption. Animals that are meant to eat flesh have a very short intestine, so it doesn't rot inside their guts.

Yeah but cows have four stomachs (or four parts) as there herbivores so why havent we if we should have been herbivores, also we have incesor teeth that ok are handy for biting into apples but i guess in the past where evolved to eat meat.

i am for a balance, currently we dont have a balanced be you vegan or omnivore or pescan were all depleting the animal and global kingdom.

The saga with bats or lab infections is proving this.

We need balance, theres to many pigeons, crows, jackdaws, and stupid pheasants, all a menace to disease, and at the expense of crops ( vegan and non vegan) but no one eats enough of these.

Having done maintainence and building work at an abatoir i felt physically sick of the mass death and smell of death of animals everyday i nearly went veg after working there, and i cut down on processed meat and cheap meat, bloody horrible.

so i respect vegitarians and vegans, i eat less meat and try to eat a balanced diet, i might binge eat on very rare occasions say a bbq but i dont really eat meat as heavy as i did.

I think fruit and veg actually has more flavour when cooked right.

• Yeah but cows have four stomachs (or four parts) as there herbivores so why havent we if we should have been herbivores, also we have incesor teeth that ok are handy for biting into apples but i guess in the past where evolved to eat meat.

Well we're not ruminants either; we're primates and closer to being frugivores and opportunist scavengers than anything else.

• Hears a really weird thought ive had, i recon when we were evolving we started eating seasonal grains, veg, nuts, fruit, and like paul says scavenging,

, of course no fridges or freezers and no way or knowledge of processing or pickling, storing food, maybe thats why we lived in caves ie food could be kept cooler, and away from sunlight etc.

So we got hungry maybe started scavenging dead animals like hyenas do, then we saw animals pick off each other, easpecially over the winter months.

We learnt to hunt and eat to get energy to survive,

Also i often wonder did hunting spawn from needing food on the move, ie we watched packs of wolves work in packs to track hunt and kill prey, something they still do, but if we trained and domesticated them (not as pets as there desendants dogs are now) to track and hunt our next meal especially in winter when food was scarce.

I was always anti field sports i still in a way am. but i always wonder where they stemmed from,

To me there a load of arrogant twats on horses breaking the law, but step back thousands of years before farming before our meals packed in a nice plastic wrapper it was a way of getting meals easier I think.

as for shooting well that i guess stems from spear hunting, fishing, and later a bow and arrow, and of course the genius of there dogs that find point,track, pick up dig whatever those dogs were evolved in the early times to get food.

To me shooters have evolved into twats who just kill things not for food just to meaninglessly kill animals not for the pot.

and that i hope will one day be found as unsustainable, or a bit silly.

When food land and reasources become tighter i hope a balance is achieved one day from all sides.