The Black Market

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• There s a undercurrant of black mrket labour i feel fed up with if its not sorted a recession will bite harder.

Had a friend up tonight whos just bought a new motorbike with his spare change, he works in a garage and has been furlowed on 80 % of his income, done up his house with a lavbour and cash exchange and doen his dads house up woth a builder mate, and worked for the bulder while he should be at home.

He may as well be back where he should be at work.

He s now toughting me if i need a hand i flatly said no i dont agree with what he s doing.

he s also helping sparks, plasterers etc, obvs for wads of cash while he gets a second income.

then comes on the cadge, watning bits off me wondered if i had a spare garage door said there pricey,

i dunno it s a cock up the whole system.

and now i actually feel for employees trying to run a legit business, they have to stand the furlough and the new track and trace its was anounced the emplyee has to let there staff self iso for 14 days with pay, so if that keeps happening how does a small or medium business stand that,

This clowns in charge are a clueless joke and the black market is rising i see a lot of dodgy goings on soon.

• I've no doubt that there will always be people who will work in an underhand way to benefit from the huge cracks in the way the system is organised. Just like we both probably know people who pretended to be chronically ill when they weren't , or people who never did a stroke of work in their lives.

I know a bloke who lives not far away who managed to fool the medics at his last examination by falling down in a false fit when they took both his crutches away for a moment. (Crutches he never seems to use when working around the estate and in his garden, etc). He lay flat out on the floor like a stranded whale, waving his arms and legs and screaming he was in pain. They had to bring in two more nurses and two security men to lift him off the floor and put him upright again. But he passed the test, and still retains all the benefits he falsely claims, including a new car every two or three years. I know all the above is true, because he boasted about it to his next-door-neighbour, who we happen to know.

I think a good many small employers will go out of business due to the way things have been organised. It's as if the government promised them something reasonable, but then started to change their minds and take it away again before the help materialised. I imagine quite a few people will claim self-isolation and get paid by their employer while working cash in hand for someone else. There should be some way of proving they need to isolate, to show their boss, but I bet there won't be.

• Didn’t the Government say “those who have been furloughed can take on a second job”. 80% of a crap wage is still crap.
    Cash in hand aside, filling a tax return means they’ve done nothing wrong, if it’s declared.
    Sounds like your mate prepper went all out to take advantage of the situation. There’s been thousands jump on the furlough bandwagon & (emergency payment scheme) who aren't entitled or fraudulently don’t exist. Scammers are never far away.
    I've got a mate who’s been a selfemployed gardener for 2 1/2 years but got nothing. He suffers from respiratory problems at times. He’s staying behind closed doors.
    I agree it’s unfair on legit businesses to foot any extra bills, but hopefully and after being furloughed, those employees go back to work for the same business from day one. It costs a fortune to advertise jobs, interview and train a employee. Businesses shouldn’t loose out to labour sharks and we now owe the debt of financial support to the next generation, who will still be paying it off.

• The cracks in the system to which oldkeith refers are proof that there is little forward planning. The system itself may even be incapable of making the necessary decisions for change. We see scroungers at the very top of this muck heap of life who are so clearly only in it for themselves. Given such shining examples, dog-eat-dog permeates all the way down until neighbours in the financially least well off communities have no one to feed off but each other. I recognise this is, of course, a grotesque generalisation, but I have often wondered why so many dispossessed, but disposed to anti-social behaviour, so often foul on their own doorsteps.

I don't believe in heroes. The only way to go after being elevated to a pedestal is to fall, crash and smash. The USA invested hope in Obama, who did some good things for the people, but the death toll in the illegal wars increased massively. Similarly in the UK Blair symbolised hope for many until he was proven Bliar and cynically offered to make amends as a "peace envoy" and expensive after-dinner speaker. His credibility is irredeemable. We have seen hard-won rights eroded over decades by all governments.

I believe that real change in these systematic failures can only come from simultaneous pressure in two directions, from the bottom and from the top. There are many grass roots people and organisations attempting to improve the quality of life, but looking at the activists there are, in reality just a few individuals involved. There are clear examples of efforts having been made by those on the top of the pile to improve life for the many and not just the few. Unfortunately both dynamics are too frequently undermined by those who control the methods of communication and the media. Change is not in the interests of media bosses. That does not take into account others who would actively campaign against any change. One interesting statistic I read last year suggests that real change can be effected by as little as 3% of the population. That is both frightening and hopeful. However, I think that figure needs to increase if change for the better is to be lasting.

We used to talk about how good things would happen "come the revolution". Our revolution was diverted. The revolution required would require real vision, intellect, philosophical underpinning, commitment, hard physical labour, massive redistribution of wealth, a willingness to engage, an acceptance of personal responsibility and a huge rethink of our priorities. I don't know if we as a species are actually capable of such a task. I'd like to think so, but I'm not optimistic.

From where I stand the best I feel able to do is to continue to ask questions and not accept the prevailing and popular narrative. Eighty per cent of very little was not enough to tempt me to put my head above the parapet and play this game. Other people do not live in circumstances that allow them the kind of freedom that I enjoy to have a choice in the matter.

In the end it's up or down to us. But we have a long way to go before we reach a critical number of us to make the difference we need.

• Didn’t the Government say “those who have been furloughed can take on a second job”. 80% of a crap wage is still crap.
    Cash in hand aside, filling a tax return means they’ve done nothing wrong, if it’s declared.
    Sounds like your mate prepper went all out to take advantage of the situation. There’s been thousands jump on the furlough bandwagon & (emergency payment scheme) who aren't entitled or fraudulently don’t exist. Scammers are never far away.
    I've got a mate who’s been a selfemployed gardener for 2 1/2 years but got nothing. He suffers from respiratory problems at times. He’s staying behind closed doors.
    I agree it’s unfair on legit businesses to foot any extra bills, but hopefully and after being furloughed, those employees go back to work for the same business from day one. It costs a fortune to advertise jobs, interview and train a employee. Businesses shouldn’t loose out to labour sharks and we now owe the debt of financial support to the next generation, who will still be paying it off.

Trouble is businesses small and medium limp along and keep people on, to do the right thing, the people stop on for them but many who are thinking of setting up on there own do the same its common sense, then the minute we have an upturn there gone,

Its being abused on all sides, i ve heard of another tale of a firm boss whos said sod it he s happy his lads are furloughed as no risks no gamble, and guaranteed income every month.

Then i know of a small garage cant get his lad back and the small garage is flat out he s working himself hard while his emplyoyee wont come back that lad cleans windows on the side,

There is a massive black market going on at the moment, i think on a big scale.

massive cock up debt should have been stalled and a minimum living wage for all in the country by means testing somehow.

• Universal basic income for all able to prove real person in possession of valid national insurance number temporarily run alongside mortgage/credit freezes and written laws not rules for all to see on who works/stays open and a police force competent enough to deal with such laws is what was needed to achieve decent result without collosal debt and current extreme pisstaking.

With halfwits running the show never stood a chance .

• I would be a lot better off with a minimum living wage. I retired 20 years before my time and had intended working on through retirement. My piss poor (NOW) pension is less than the dole. And I’ve a good few years before my state pension and halfhearted invested private pension matures.
    But we are alive still and can fight another viral outbreak better informed if not prepared.

The black market can’t really help me these days. I can’t afford to pay labourers and my vices are not catered for on the black market anymore. Unless I can find fuel cheap. :D

• We got it so wrong, when the scheme was launched i thought yeah ok not a bad idea, ie i kind of hoped the virus would get contained nipped in the bud then carefully back to work,

I was seeing places really worried, and the scheme seemed a good idea people kept there jobs emplyment rights and bosses couodnt get rid of them.

but its gone on longer, and people are abusing the system.

A bloke and his misus i know are also the other end of scale of honesty, i did some work for them at there place last year.

They have kept there staff on and furloughed and they have made meals for the lonely needy etc for free, they said they were getting paid so they just did this.

Even trumps idea of giving everyone a paycheck seemed like a good idea but i guess it was a quietner of the people, its prob stopped now and again people would just blow it.

When i went back to work i thought i d have to have id i had my driving license on me, but how do you police lets face it a possible massive underground labour market and fiddling on a huge scale, and subsidised as well.

The blusterwits got this wrong

• I tend to keep my own council and have little regard for what the system tells the sheeple to do or not to do.

I have a good moral code and have spent the last 35 years steadily getting by and getting on with my life with minimal intervention from the state.

At first it was my anarchistic distaste for the system that fueled my lifestyle but I soon found anger and aggression to be a poison, its simply a non engaging attitude that freed me.

In fact I have to say, off grid, head up my arse, peaceful living, whilst surrounded by good kind people I have collected over many years makes for a pretty stress free life.

My life, my rules and if people don't like it then I politely ask them to kindly shut the door quietly on the way out.

• Yep, they could have got it so right - £150 / week for everyone (reclaimed instantly from higher-rate tax payers).

You know what? I knew Boris was a fuckwit (and that's putting it politely), I knew the Tories would throw us under the bus without hesitation, but what does amaze me is that he has thrown away the chance to retain power for a long long time. If he had told the truth, got his shit together at the beginning and locked down straightaway, and done the £150 / week thing, Labour would not have had a chance of election in the foreseeable. Instead look at the total cock up he and his party have made, JesusChristonaBicycle, a child could have done a better job.

As for your first post Prepper. I would worry more about the ToryFriends who are allowed to dodge £millions in tax. The corporations registered offshore to dodge tax. The MPs who got £10k to set up to work from home, (I work very successfully from home and it didn't cost me anything like £10k, and that's including a full solar set up). The companies who are furloughing non-existent employees or claiming for higher wages than were really paid.

The odd builder here and there does not worry me at all.

• Well said