Will we have Tesla HVAC in our liveaboards in years to come

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Tesla have rebuilt from the ground up the in-car air conditioning unit. Tesla took it a stage further. Not relying on belt drive compressors and having to create energy efficient heating, ventilation, including Air conditioning units in these new gen vehicles. It’s only logical that this technology morphs into domestic dwellings and portable rigs. Can they become reliable, affordable in the future for off grid units to utilise?
    Would you consider a all in one Tesla 12 volt HVAC unit if it was say under a £1000?

• £1000? Jeez, I don't pay that for a complete vehicle :D

yes but with the loss of coal wood heating. Low solar dark winters, +- oil prices.
    If one well designed concept unit/s that could do all 4 tasks A) Heating a vehicle, from electricity generated via Solar, Battery storage. B) Ventilate when cooking, bathing, keeping damp at bay. Air con. Not only for pollens, pollution, but gases and viruses (apparently Tesla are there now) something daft like 95% efficiency improvement, over the better of belt driven air con units found in today’s high end motors. These combined with “better batteries” I would find a grand over the System lifespan was to become common place, 1st generation electric cars, vans trucks. Soon secondhand units will be a viable option.

• As soon as the Chinese get the hang of the Tesla system they'll be knocking them out at well less than half the price.

Usual story: won't last so long, not so reliable, batteries turn to bricks earlier. But cheaper, dammit, cheaper!

• As soon as the Chinese get the hang of the Tesla system they'll be knocking them out at well less than half the price.

Usual story: won't last so long, not so reliable, batteries turn to bricks earlier. But cheaper, dammit, cheaper!

if China can replace the parts of the originals that would be a bonus, but a well made copy can be tempting. :)

• And there's the problem. We are starting to see that we need to stop buying cheap fucking rammel from China, & buy quality instead that will last, but we are so easily tempted by cheap Chinese shinies that we will probably never stop....🤔😕

• Good quality secondhand woodworking machines (made in Germany/Britain) are cheap as chips, but need an aircraft hanger to store them. Old British hand tools will still last a lifetime. Remember when folk inherited their dads/grandads tools? A few of us can still go and pick a few up today and use them I bet.
    Our offspring will be ordering a skip when we’re dead. Throw that plastic shit in, along with those none working hoover motors and bike wheels. Hoardings fun if your not around to clear it up. ;)

• All too true, RT. We've had powerful old woodworking m/cs offered to our Shed for cheap or free, but the catch is 3-phase electricity. So that's just one of the reasons we are looking for an industrial unit to house the Shed in. But such units don't come cheap.

I have particular grudge about drill bits. Years back we always used Dormer drill bits in industry. (Some of them found their way back home, too...:whistle:).

Not only were they sharp, and took a long time to wear, even cutting steel plate, but they were easily sharpened up and put back on the job.

Modern drill bits are either cheap oriental steel with slightly hardened points, which are okay on wood but blunt when you show them a bit of quarter plate, or more expensive slightly more heavy-duty bits that cost a mint, again have only hardened points, and after you try to resharpen them soon blunt after a few cuts, because the hardening has gone. The old Dormers we used to resharpen until they were too short to go in the drill !

• Its a sorry world when tools become disposable.

Vaguely remember having to do a really gutty job with a 4 1/2" grinder and thought I'm not going to ruin my what was then an expensive Bosch tool. Brought a B&Q own brand which I think was £6 or maybe even less and from memory it did function, did what was asked of it but self terminated by the end of the job as it munched through its brush set rather quickly.

The memory is flooding back now of us zip tying the on/off switch, plugging it in to an extension cable and watching in aw as it danced in a screaming death throw of blue smoke and orange flames about the concrete floor.

Still the moral of this story is I probably would have killed and expensive tool that day unnecessarily, instead I killed a cheap one.

Actually in hindsight there's probably no moral high ground to be had from that little story :)

• Probably wouldn't have killed the good one, that's the trouble with shite, it's shite!

Been using my small grinder today, it sounded fucking awful. Stripped the gearbox & twas dry as a bastard. Refilled with grease & its good as new now. Metal gears so saveable, most cheap ones have plastic gears so they fuck up too easily.....

• I remember when (German) Bosh drills were considered superior at the turn of 1980. It was the electrical technology advancements that improved performance, While build quality remained high.

Prior to these developments. Build quality was considered a measure of quality. These days even the cheapest tackiest of DIY electrical tools utilise advanced electrical components. Although these components are usually of inferior quality resulting in less durability. A cheap tool may well perform well, its questionable for how long these cheap tools will perform “as well” if at all.

I love searching carboot sales for those quality tools that are just too expensive to buy new.

• Probably wouldn't have killed the good one, that's the trouble with shite, it's shite!

Been using my small grinder today, it sounded fucking awful. Stripped the gearbox & twas dry as a bastard. Refilled with grease & its good as new now. Metal gears so saveable, most cheap ones have plastic gears so they fuck up too easily.....

First thing I usually do is fit a grease nipple!

• One of my long-lived tools is an 100mm (4") Hitachi grinder from way back in the 80's or 90's when I worked on vehicles quite a bit. A torquey little number that still has plenty of power now. I think I've only ever replaced bearings and brushes once or twice.

I have a couple of others: An old 115mm B&D I'm always trying to lose, so lend it out now and then., (But whoever borrows it always brings it back!). And a large awkward Titan job - 125mm - that roars away and gives me doubts that it has a thermal cut-out on the motor, so I don't run it for long at a time.