Straw Poll - provision of park ups round the country

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Following on from a little bit of advocacy I was involved in, I am interested to know: If councils all round the country were to (re) create stopping places for live in vehicles what would you suggest? Sites? Big or Small? Would you pay? Would you pay council tax (at a reduced rate obvs to reflect the much lower value of most vehicles compared to most houses)? What about marked parking bays in lay-bys? With meters? Or free? Should sites be managed and have rules? Or should they be self-regulating perhaps with a code of conduct? Electric hook up? (I feel this should be a paid-for facility, metered rather than a standard charge as on Caravan Club and Camping and Caravanning Club sites). Should water, dry waste, recycling and toilet waste disposal facilities be provided?

If you have the time I'd love to know what you think. I won't be quoting anyone, it's not an official survey, just following from conversations with the collective 😄😄

• I would imagine a council created large live in vehicle site would rapidly become a nightmare of noise, rubbish and local hostility.

Laybys, which I have used with good and not so good results would be nigh on impossible to ensure are always available for live ins unless live ins permanently camped on them which likely leads to the former mentioned issues.

If all "normal" facilities were provided I would imagine an increase of people moving into vans for the sake of cheap and many bringing their anti social baggage with them.

I envy the stand- pipe you now have as I find that water availability is the only issue that I have. I manage, but would be nice if a lot easier.

A dedicated three to five van gated layby on the outskirts of towns and villages up and down the land with standpipe and a system a la CRT of having to move on within certain time, membership getting you key for gate and water. An unlikely to happen van utopia which undoubtedly would be ruined by copied key holding pikeys.

• If they were used properly, is stay 2 nights max then move on, small sites could work. Waste facilities, as well as a tap & possibly toilet for a reasonable charge would be a workable setup if used sensibly. Problem is they wouldn't be used sensibly. Whenever things like this are available, as with all walks of life, low life's will stop at nothing to fuck it all up for everyone else. Gypsies will be blamed, even though they aren't always the problem. Add to this the fact that govt don't want us having access to such facilities, they want us paying through the nose to live in boxes we neither want or need as long as they take all we have from us.

Live in hope, Die in despair, as my gran always used to say....😕

• Hi MillieMercedes, its a really good question, I read it this morning and have been mulling it over all day. I guess in a perfect world it would be nice to have some sort of support system from our local government/council, especially as modern roaming has evolved. As a human it feels so much better to belong to something or some sort of community than to be cast out alone. Sadly our sort of traveller is seen as very third class, along with most others.

The sub genres of traveller would I guess be a logistical nightmare for any council. Gypsies are a recognised minority and culture supported by the Romany Council, they are to some extent provided for. Showman have big yards and big rigs that roll, these folks are complex to say the least, but they have influence with the council too. The Irish are bling bling are pushed from pillar to post, brushing it off as normal living and argue with authority like its sport. Old school new agers hide out of sight and we have become good at being accepted in small communities/villages and are tolerated as harmless eccentrics. New new agers have campers and your legal with tax, white diesel and insurance. I think my point is this, living the way we do were sort of on our own because we chose to step away from the norm and we have become a bit of a logistical nightmare to councils and they fear us. To them we are the "scissor that undoes the cloth"

I was pleased to read you got some water, a waste tank, even a wheelie bin you acquired and that the council came up, recognised you and asked questions with a view to support. I personally have a deep seated cancer in my bones for council functionaries, the police and most authority from battles past. But I did feel a good vibe from your story and that is how things have evolved.

Keep choosing your sites wisely, safety in numbers and manage your clan. Anything else is a bonus Millie. :)

• unfortunately Milliemerc with the best will in the world from all sides. Unless most of these sites, pull-ins, park-ups etc become managed. Which the costs would need to be passed down. These sites would be perfect for the Countylines crews. Providing reasonably distributed bases to set up shop.
    Other less-than Courteous, potential site users are more likely not to give a fk, who, what or how YOU want to live or use these facilities. They will consider their rights and privilege above all other users. Banging noisy crap music. Dogs running wild, barking at everything moving and stationary. Rubbish dumped, abandoned, burnt out, nicked, scraped vehicles, tents, caravans, glass, shit and piss nappies, needles and anything and everything society uses and abuses in a throwaway disposable urban society.

Shit that sounds like a survey reply from the 1980’s

I will give this some considerable thought and return to it. Hopefully I will have a more futuristic rational reply :D

• I have been thinking about this all day and I have come up with the perfect cost effective solution for local councils and the traveller issue.

Just leave us the f**k alone, let us manage our lives without you interdiction and stupid enforcement notices. Let us live in peace around nature, we are kind folk and your poisoning us. All most of search for is to embrace and connect to a more spiritual way of life.

• I have been thinking about this all day and I have come up with the perfect cost effective solution for local councils and the traveller issue.

Just leave us the f**k alone, let us manage our lives without you interdiction and stupid enforcement notices. Let us live in peace around nature, we are kind folk and your poisoning us. All most of search for is to embrace and connect to a more spiritual way of life.

that covers 2% of potential facility users.

I took a old mate to the nine ladies Derbyshire, for the Solstice back in 1999. On arrival we abandoned our vehicle on tarmac. My mate proceeded to swing about on a peeled tantalised fence post protruding above the stone wall adjacent our parked motor. The fence post had three stands of barbed wire still stapled to it and keeping cows off the stone wall and main road. I read my mate the riot act. Not only was it just out of order, but to get to the stone circle we still had to walk appropriately 800yards over rough terrain paths across the moor. We already had our hands too full of blankets, food and Tennents supper strength to be thinking about firewood. I then remembered the last time I had spent a solstice with this guy was 1983 at Stonehenge when I found him hunched over a pan of semi wetted weetabix, complaining he wasn’t feeling too well. He had been shooting up smack the previous 7 days on site. Time’s change, some folk won’t. :whistle: