Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi, so I'm pretty new to all this stuff, like posting, commenting and speaking my mind online.

Been living off grid most of my life apart from 4 years in a house from when I was 38 (not for me) I brought a 73 Sipson Showman's some years back and haul it with an old FireTruck. Live around Sussex and have a bit of a work circuit doing maintenance and construction jobs. Enjoy the steam fairs and maybe just maybe I will take my home to Europe some time if I can find some work along the way.

Oh my name.. My name is Paul.

• Hi Paul and welcome aboard. Your rigs sounds comforting. Plenty of opportunity with both units. I once toyed with the idea of “saving” a showmans trailer, parked on a farm we visited to buy hay in winter. It stood there many years, 6 + years before I came across it. Contacted the owner first opportunity. He showed no hurry to use or sell it. Even though I explained it was in need of covering over, sealing up. Farmer would have been happy to get his yard less crowded. Over the next 4 years the roof was breached with rain. Panelling around mirrors and ceilings were now exposed and in need of some restoration. I was eventually told he had a steam roller in one of the other barns. So obviously I wouldn’t get to buy just the showmans and save restore it for a song.   
    At the time I would have been happy to pull it with a tractor and definitely use it to travel with or park up on land and use. Last time I visited the farm. It was F****ked and in desperate need of restoration, shame really. But some steam enthusiast will buy both to keep them together maybe.
    What’s the fire engine Bedford? Have you built a mobile workshop?

• Hi Rogue Trader and thank you for the welcome. So many strange motif's on that blue panel above what I am trying to write. My son told me is called a dashboard ? Anyway I hope I'm getting this right. Yes its incredible what you can find on some of these farms, but farmers can be terribly hard work, especially if your a stranger. The Steam Engine sounded like a good find.

My fire truck is an 18ton M93 Scania out of Wales and was coach built by Angloco, 250HP automatic. Since finishing the restoration on the Sipson I have been trying to find time to convert it over to a sort of overland camper for festivals n fairs. The Sipson is by far the most amazing thing I have ever owned and lived in. A real labour of love and I fear I could never part with it. It's only drawback is size, because unless you know people with big yards or friendly farms its basically impossible to plot up. But to be fair, so far I have been lucky and there is as you probably well know a good following of people in the enthusiast community who own them now as well as travelers.

If I can figure out how to post you a few photos I will do so. Hang in there because when I say I'm new to this tech stuff, I really am. I did manage to get one photo up for a test on a page I found with other great photos on, but for the life of me could not figure out how to make it load to the page with the photos on. I got this grey panel with like a mountain squiggle on it that opened another page with my photo. Hope to chat soon, Paul

• I’ve got a ledge wagon on wooden wheels and iron tyres. A agri unimog 3 way tipper, for the woods :) A Pinzguaer 6x6 motorhome Both ideal to trailer the ledge wagon with. When I was younger I would prefer the horse to pull the ledge wagon. But trucks are easier to put to bed with the key. Good to have you join us. Looking forward to some pics.

You’ll get the hang of this site layout. You’ve done well to get a photo on here. Normally folk have to reduce the size if they are too large, they can’t upload. But there is tools on the dashboard to help insert photos into posts. (There’s a first time for everything) next time someone says “the keys on the dashboard” It will get you thinking :eek:

• Hi Paul welcome. Your rig sounds great, hope you master the photo thing, would love to see it. How far do you usually travel with it? Some lovely places up here in Yorkshire that are worth seeing, & I'm sure some of them could fit your rig in....

Hope you're staying safe & well during this present shitstorm, might see you on the other side of lockdown somewhere....

• Paul, if you go the the box where you write posts, then press the paperclip symbol at the bottom, it should take you to a blue "upload" box. Press that & you should then get access to your photo gallery so you can lift pics to post them. Hope that helps....Z4.jpg

Heres a pic of my rig, just so i know it works...

• Hi BigBear67, thank you for the warm welcome and info on posting photos. I managed to put a couple of photos up in the gallery section, took me ages, Hee Hee. Love your Bus, Iveco? they are fab for conversions and I have helped out friends with a few similar projects. Lots more young people are keeping the traveller spirit alive and looking to reduce their ecological footprint and live more off grid. Stay safe too.

• Hi Rogue Trader, you have a Pinzguaer 6x6 converted to overland that's just the bomb. Wow. So hopefully you can direct me to some photos. I look forward to hearing about it. The people I have met on this forum and site seem so genuine and like minded. I am looking forward to learning so much and hopefully contributing a bit too.

• Hi BigBear67, thank you for the warm welcome and info on posting photos. I managed to put a couple of photos up in the gallery section, took me ages, Hee Hee. Love your Bus, Iveco? they are fab for conversions and I have helped out friends with a few similar projects. Lots more young people are keeping the traveller spirit alive and looking to reduce their ecological footprint and live more off grid. Stay safe too.

Just found your pics mate, your trailer looks the business! Loving the Scania too, dvla pulled my hgv a while back, & i really miss trucks! Wasnt just a job, it was a lifestyle. Think i was happier than ive ever been, different parkup every night, nobody trying to move me on all the time, & a new place to see everyday!

Isnt that similar to what a lot of us seek in life?...👍😁

Bus is an Iveco, 3.0 diesel with camchain instead of belt. Was a welfare bus up until I got it so well maintained & solid too.

Not sure I qualify as "young person" any more tho, starting to look more like Santa every day now....😕

• Hi Paul welcome to the forum! I’ve seen the pics and wow how beautiful :) I’m in a house, have been since I was born 36 years ago. I’ll be free one day :) hope you hang about. You could open a thread and tell us all about your travels and pictures on that if you like :)

• Hi Paul welcome to the forum! I’ve seen the pics and wow how beautiful :) I’m in a house, have been since I was born 36 years ago. I’ll be free one day :) hope you hang about. You could open a thread and tell us all about your travels and pictures on that if you like :)

Hi Lightbringer, Thank you for the welcome message. For me getting to this stage has been a long long journey. At 17 in a tent with just love and a couple of quid in our pockets from picking lettuce all day seems such a distant memory. From small acorns grow great oaks. Stay safe.

• Hi MillieMercedes.. That is fabulously camouflaged.

I'm afraid its a lot harder for me to blend in like that.

Did you fit your own truck out ?

No I'm afraid not, it was already done. I'm just repairing it (leaks) and have added some shelves in the garage and a desk in the living area. I always wanted this truck, this engine, this layout - and I finally got it. (Not dissing anyone else's choices).

• Hi Trippy, :hi:

Good to have you join us.

If you need any tech advice on how the site works, the webmaster guy Paul, is always good.

And a few of us old techies hang out in the tech zone, so you can get most any help on phones and computers etc in there. (You may find yourself giving advice in there too, as it covers engines, vehicle electrics, solar power rigs, pretty well anything tech).

When you get used to working the site, it would be great to hear your accounts of epic vehicle builds you've done, restorations, etc. There is always great interest on here in other people's vehicles and what they do with them.

• OK, so that's cool as I found the paper clip, so nice touch on the advice oldkeith..

A few of you showed some interest in the fire truck so this was taken about 6 days ago. The covid crisis gave me the opportunity to get to work and use up all the materials I had been scavenging off jobs through the winter, my site skip diving and offcuts n overrun box was pretty full.

It took forever to cut all its guts out, I worked like a dog for 10 days with a SaberSaw and chewed threw 1mm cutting disks like a kid on candy floss.

The canopy was brought from a salvage yard for £220 in December, so that was my "Dreadmass Drinks Fund" poo poo'd but my liver probably did a jig. Box thingy between the axles was a couple of days work with new offcuts from a recent job and it slides out on runners that came with the truck to make a small pull out kitchen with a big cast iron gas ring set inside. sheet steel cladding was a steal at £10 a length so I could not refuse it as its galvanised and pre painted, sadly not red Grrrr !! :)

I'm kinda hoping to get it all back to a red and white fire truck livery once I have finished the construction, a sort of hide in plain sight approach when rolling and a crash pad for festivals, rallies, fairs and sunk in the mud adventures.

IMG_20200505_130003.jpg

• I think with the new generation of van life younger people are buying campers because you can blend in more with society's norms and thus be hiding in plain sight. The real old school vibe is harder to locate, a lot of people I have known and met over the years moved onto the waterways or brought small parcels of woodland to park up their vans and buses. The newer generations adapted into off grid life using more modern ideas, modern kit and of course the music scene evolved too into a more commercial arena selling you a ticket to ride. The "New Age" 1980's scene which was my entry level to nomadic living is still peppered with small enclaves, but they are well plotted up now, as am I.

• Hiding in plain sight, yes I agree. There is, if Facebook groups are anything to go by, and from observation on my travels, still a thriving, growing even, travelling community.

I attempted to settle many times before I went to wheels. It was like - do you remember the foot in Monty Python? - like that, I'd make plans, form relationships, try to put down roots.... and down came the foot. Even since I've been on wheels I've thought about parking up and it's not happened. I think perhaps the universe has a plan for me, somewhere truly amazing to finally pull on the hand brake.

Or perhaps I am destined to keep on trucking.

(NB I don't leave the hand brake on, I leave Snortie in gear).

• Indeed, there is a new younger generation of bold young thinkers who want to work/play/party and feel free to gain life experience without being suffocated by tax this, tax that, corporate this that and the next thing BS. Also the green living, minimal footprint, up-cycle and vegetarian road train have attracted more young folks to the traveler tribe.

I totally get the Monty Python thing as I have no time for bricks. You know back in the late 80's if you lived in a bus or van living a "new age life" you were viewed as.. Well its unprintable !!

I look back with a certain fondness, but we were a scruffy unruly bunch, well my crowd was. Drinking warm Stella for breakfast, no comprehension of ecology. Cutting up cars with axes to sell scrap. Rubbish discarded everywhere, fires, loud music, grubby children roaming freely with animals, shoplifting for food, selling pot, dabbing speed and more warm Stella to wash away the taste. In hindsight its no wonder they hated us !!

So its in many ways our legacy and recklessness that has left its dirty stain in the minds of a system that is unforgiving and has a long memory.

Snortie.. That's the bomb ! How did you come up with that ?

• well my first vehicle was an LD petrol milk float that I put sides in and a tent inside.lol. It was in 1968 and cost me £25.

After over 200 more vehicles I've ended up with an LT35 that I converted, it was an old DHSS bus so was already insulated and lined thank goodness. 125,000 miles and well maintained, love it, although I'm a bit fickle and love my Maverick just as much even though I can't really live in it.

I'm so lucky living in a great little country, (Isle of Man), having a house AND a van and living a gentle, slow, lovely life and enjoying my georgeous, lovely wife who I have known for the last 54 years, I met her when I was twenty although we didn't get together for the next 20!..( there's always hope out there Millie, if that's what you want).:)

• it is a good name by the sound of it. We all put up with, adapt to our vehicles quirks. I’m sure squeezing my arse cheeks tight when cornering at speed in the County in in the Ford manual.

I called a big coloured horse of mine “Bugger” hard to sneak through a crowd with out shouting it, should the horse play up. :D