Our Country Needs You

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Empire A little part of in everyone. Men, women, teenagers and children. Left, right Center & the twisted.

Growing up physical weapons were feared and over the years, bigger, faster, smarter were called for. Tactical engagement, suprise and overrun. Techniques developed from the battlefield and masterfully tweaked to gain advantage. We have developed the ability of self destruction with physical weapons.

Very effective but often messy for complexed regime manipulation.

Far sweeter is sowing the seeds of preference change by any means possible. And so we find ourselves Intergrated in media misinformation.

Well here it is. It’s our time to sow, grow, harvest for the good of our nations belly.
    your Country needs You.

http://www.thefarmersarmy.co.uk/

• Bit cagey on the wages promised there, Comrade.

Didn't see any rates of pay advertised, nary a one....:shrug:

That’s true Oldkeith, and we all know farmers are not known for throwing money about. Each farm will have their own rates (minimum wage) If paid by the hour. Depending on Farm, Crop to be picked and job. But most are/will be piece (spelling?) rate. I would think it’s mostly back braking work unless folk are used to it.

In Germany on some farms there’s been a proper kick off with the Polish pickers. Flown in on chartered planes, offered a hourly rate etc. Got on site, passports confiscated (at farmers request) food and accommodation is calculated in with pay and instead of offering the workers €6 per hour, when they settled in to sheds/caravans, were told it’s 20cents per kilo. Polish workers revolted and refused to work. Farmer refused to feed them unless they worked. The Polish workers asked for their passports back and to be returned home. Farmer refused. Police were called but no help for the polish workers. Following day some absconded. They are not happy workers.

• Well so much for dig for victory..... more like pull a virus..... We didn’t learn anything from migrant workers in Germany at the end of March then..

73 workers catch coronavirus at farm forcing 200 others to isolate

Dozens contracted the virus while living on the farm in Mathon, Herefordshire, during the harvest season, forcing 200 to self-isolate following the outbreak

More than 70 workers have tested positive for coronavirus at a farm in Herefordshire - forcing 200 into isolation.

Dozens of people were living on the AS Green and Co site during the harvest season when the outbreak was detected.

Tests were carried out after a small number of workers displayed symptoms - and now 73 have so far been diagnosed with the killer virus.

Many of them were not displaying symptoms, health chiefs confirmed.

It is the largest outbreak of its kind in the UK since the start of the pandemic, and Public Health England said the entire workforce is being tested.

The first batch of results showed a "significant" number of cases, officials stated.

Anyone we know from here take up the offer of farm work?

• I doubt that the agencies hired any UK workers for fear of their shyster practices being fully exposed.

Long ago stopped sympathising with farmers after they made no real effort to stop the supermarkets walking all over them.

General populations desire for everything cheap no matter what conspired to drop standards as well.

• I doubt that the agencies hired any UK workers for fear of their shyster practices being fully exposed.

Long ago stopped sympathising with farmers after they made no real effort to stop the supermarkets walking all over them.

General populations desire for everything cheap no matter what conspired to drop standards as well.

I don’t think the real farmers, those small tradition family farms had much say in the supermarket price fixing. Big corporation money farm managers however played a dirty hand and the table was set. Many small farmers had no choice, diversify, work for the supermarket giants or sell up. It’s not like “we” the public, would back then Support our farming community. We voted with our purse and saw good animal husbandry and higher food prices as a scam run by greedy farmers. Now ía premium is paid for organic produce and locally grown has a following. But the common agricultural policy and European quotas have dictated the direction of UK food production. Middlemen got a better cut than the producer and the farmer had to be subsidised.

• like a lot of things governments get wrong subs is one, the powerful and greedy took over the legislation of subs.

when i was a kid sheep where subbed to the stockman/farmer based on numbers,

this then caused problems with overgrazing and moorland and farmland disputedly/allegedly overgrazed.

farmers on upland got a lfa less favoured area payment brought in on stock, etc.

then i think i was lord witty (my dad hated him) got all annoyed who had a massive arable farm somewhere said it should go on acreage,

So the arable farmers got a lot of money for just basicly having land thousands if not millions of pounds some of it set aside and of course schemes to plant hedges all good but a lot of money not going into producing food.

the lfa payments where reduced a lot of small farms went under and a lot of tennant famers have worked there arse off for a basic wage, many leaving farming for good and no one following them families etc.

go to now theres a lot of "gentlemen" farmers who do nothing there posh and loaded have no tennants and have shoots etc, some of the land plughed out for game cover, all non productve land,

Also a lot of these estates took the subs off the tennant farmers and took on tennants on short term lets and the tennants have to pay quite a high tenancy.

when really the claim should have gone to the person doing the work,

Then another sub brought in thats now paid direct to a estate owner who gets money also for shoots trees burning etc, who then has to pay the graziers on heath and moorland, he is ver slow at paying all wrong

The subs have gone more and more to those with more and the powerful not the people who would benefit from it most

I see simular problems at the moment with our furlough/benefits/ and general claims i was in a place the other day a bloke i know who isnt badly off was trying to claim money under a covid scheme for repairing his bike at a shop.

• 2021 the EU have been pressed to deliver even higher subs to EU farmers, when in actually fact, Brussels had planned on reducing them. I can’t see the UK government leaving our farmers on their arse for the coming years though. Payments for land improvements and conservation, public benefits is a better incentive for payments. Food must come first.

I’m watching the fishing quota talks with interest. Denmark saying they have historic rights to any of they North Sea fish from the 1600’s and we won’t stop them taking our fish. France saying they too will take fish from our waters regardless or block ports to UK boats. Spain saying it will claim Gibraltar at all costs. Roll on a few months of negotiations. They now realise it’s UK waters and now they are threatening to boycott all UK fish exports to Europe. We need those waters and fish stocks to safeguard our food production for the future. It’s a life support system we/the UK will oneday rely on, if it’s not too full of plastic.

• I am guessing the north sea is loaded with fish thats why everyone wants to fish there, and the uk is in a good place as an island to utilise this, we maybe eveloved and multiplied due to the north sea, and fought those waters in the past,

Now its a differant world we either literally fall out and fight or negotiate, our problem is fallout from all those years ago.

Daft as it sounds we also need to police over fishing, ni on impossible,

I think subs will go, many farmers and established wealthy landowners have been ammased to a lot of money banked to basicly survive with no subs,

If your arable and your paid by the acre or a big estate pid by the acre and big grants your sat and a pot of money to buy out all the smaller farms, thats what will happen, less competition massive farms and estates and= higher food and comedity costs.

• Councils in the UK are now allowed to buy up farms to secure ongoing farm tenure and local identity.

Regarding fish stocks. There’s been controls imposed in the firm of quotas divid out. But the UK has only been entitled to a small % of say Cod. In the 80’s 90’s over fishing of Cod brought about more restrictions on quotas and thankfully stocks have increased to back to near normal since then.
    During lockdown however. Large European and Russian floating fishing factories have been raping UK waters while our boats were furloughed.
    If it was up to me, the UK would hold all control over fishing rights and any quotas. Giving these waters further protection with reserve status, and sell quotas on a annual basis if nessessary. Cheat, scam, steal fish stocks and become outlawed. Loosing rights to fish UK waters indefinitely. I believe UK will have to utilise more seafood in the diet, to become more sustainable in protein and essential oils etc.
    we are quite restrictive in what sea food we do eat in the United Kingdom. Cod, mackerel, haddock, plaice, herring etc. but the by catch from fishing for these are often discarded, killed and thrown back in to the sea. Which is also wrong and wasteful

• Post by Rogue Trader ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • I want subs to go. I very desperately want this. I do not think it will happen though.

• Councils in the UK are now allowed to buy up farms to secure ongoing farm tenure and local identity.

Regarding fish stocks. There’s been controls imposed in the firm of quotas divid out. But the UK has only been entitled to a small % of say Cod. In the 80’s 90’s over fishing of Cod brought about more restrictions on quotas and thankfully stocks have increased to back to near normal since then.
    During lockdown however. Large European and Russian floating fishing factories have been raping UK waters while our boats were furloughed.
    If it was up to me, the UK would hold all control over fishing rights and any quotas. Giving these waters further protection with reserve status, and sell quotas on a annual basis if nessessary. Cheat, scam, steal fish stocks and become outlawed. Loosing rights to fish UK waters indefinitely. I believe UK will have to utilise more seafood in the diet, to become more sustainable in protein and essential oils etc.
    we are quite restrictive in what sea food we do eat in the United Kingdom. Cod, mackerel, haddock, plaice, herring etc. but the by catch from fishing for these are often discarded, killed and thrown back in to the sea. Which is also wrong and wasteful

I read somewhere (alas I cannot remember where) that 60 to 80% of all seafood from UK waters is exported.

So yes if the UK, does that which looks sensible and, maintains exclusive rights to its fishing waters in the short term then we will all need to consume more of it.

• I want subs to go. I very desperately want this. I do not think it will happen though.

The irony is if subs go, the horrible wealthy landed gentry will rule again in the countryside, and smallscale new start up or family farms will be hoovered up by large scale estates and agri business/factory farms.

withmillion or billion pound budgets.

Subs created a mess a bloated system hi jacked by the powerful,

A fair way would be to help struggling farms stand on there feet but with conditions a bit like a loan from a bank, maybe means tested, and a plan to make the place pay,

and a scrappage of subs to wealthy farms who can do well, and dont need it but schemes to help there tenants who do the work and a bit more of sorting longer term tenanacies for there tenants,

but of course estates then hoover up money for wildlife schemes, tree planting, the powerful just cant be beaten, they now have all the land rule the land with an iron fist, and still can pocket thousands.

If they dont get subs the gentry wont plant trees or do anything its simple econmics, farmers farm cause they love it want to grow food and love there job.

landed gentry just want the money

• All farming subsidies should have been means tested from day one just as is done to individuals and not just on financial circumstances but national beneficial use of land. Neglected, effectively abandoned land compulsorily absorbed into a competent national forest type organisation for benefit of all.

A wild fantasy maybe, especially as long as the masses keep voting halfwits into power.

• Neglected, effectively abandoned land compulsorily absorbed into a competent national forest type organisation for benefit of all.

A wild fantasy maybe, especially as long as the masses keep voting halfwits into power.

And who Will define neglected, possibly abandoned land? and where is this land? that’s not getting its arse rapped out of it with intensive production of food, bio oils, bio mass, timber or recreation?
    Is it that “poor quality” nutrient poor, inaccessible land or land in un subsidised set aside (dormant/naturalising/resting/breathing state) that’s not under exploitation from anyone other than fauna and Flora competing for a ecology balance within it. Because if it’s someone’s job to locate/identify and target such land for their buckets-full of Newly appointed “grant money” to steal/compulsory capture this land off of the land guardians, just so the jobsworth can fulfil the new targets.... Be that further land exploitation or possibly increase carbon storage by a minuscule % by robbing Peter to pay Paul.... NO THANKS. Far better to invest in diversifying our adequate efficient mono culture farming systems to a modern sustainable way of farming, with any new “grant” money's...

• And who Will define neglected, possibly abandoned land? and where is this land? that’s not getting its arse rapped out of it with intensive production of food, bio oils, bio mass, timber or recreation?
    Is it that “poor quality” nutrient poor, inaccessible land or land in un subsidised set aside (dormant/naturalising/resting/breathing state) that’s not under exploitation from anyone other than fauna and Flora competing for a ecology balance within it. Because if it’s someone’s job to locate/identify and target such land for their buckets-full of Newly appointed “grant money” to steal/compulsory capture this land off of the land guardians, just so the jobsworth can fulfil the new targets.... Be that further land exploitation or possibly increase carbon storage by a minuscule % by robbing Peter to pay Paul.... NO THANKS. Far better to invest in diversifying our adequate efficient mono culture farming systems to a modern sustainable way of farming, with any new “grant” money's...

I guess you didn't notice I used the word competent.

Personally I'd give it all over to flora and fauna and fuck the masses, let natural evolution take the high ground again.

I have no problem with small holdings up to "family" farms, people owning a paddock or two, a wood here a lake there etc but the planet doesn't need huge agribusiness.

The human race has never been short of food it's just that another thing it's never been short of is greedy cunts.

All over this nation is unused, abused and abandoned land from now unused turned to poor quality scrub that sustains little in the way of wildlife to swathes of brownfield that doesn't get built on because assholes let housebuilders cut financial corners and build on greenfield. Turning this into useful and appropriate habitat areas for non humans with leisure access for humans would hardly be a bad thing.

I don't for one moment delude myself that such beneficial to all organisations will be arising soon if ever and most certainly not with the mindset of current decision makers.

• I saw a map showing the massive fishing waters to the west of Scotland (UK) that are probably more of interest in brexit negotiations.

I was really surprised and had no idea how huge this area of fishing rights is. I'll try to find a link:-

https://www.instituteforgovern…t-images/eez-map-2020.png

Looking at this image the whole area of UK fishing rights is much larger, in all directions, than I had previously assumed.

• The UK had a many large fishing communities. This was decimated less than 50 years ago. Boats cut up. factories closed, jobs lost, communities destroyed. Similar happened to the mining industry.

• I now have UK propaganda bells going off in between my ears.

'YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU'....

..... And will then fuck you over, lay you off, physically and mentally abuse your human rights and strip you of any pride....

If ever you hear this message you can now be sure (based on recent history) that forgetfulness and humiliation will follow and that any takers will be put at high risk of injury, dehumanisation and disease.

Hopefully an historian will add a post qualifying and evidencing what I am saying here.... I Can't be bothered (to do that myself) cos if you folks have lived this long and haven't got the picture then you (clearly can't be arsed to self educate and devolop empathy and) are contributing to very sick societies and in many ways aren't worth the time nor consideration.

• That goes for any of us who take the coin zendaze. Unless your time’s your own and you sell it direct. Everyone’s just a number.

Difference in “your Country needs you” and “who needs the country”? is those who are mopping up the blood, those teaching our kids, those baking bread. Those policing the dark corners. If all of those folk walked off into the fields to put food on the table, folk would bleed to death or catch some awful disease, ur kids would have to cling to our shirts alongside us in the fields and hope someday some fk will get organised and sort this shit out, so the kids can better themselves through education that’s not exploitation. Thered be little bread available to wedge the field finds inside and when tired from back breaking foraging, we’d be too scared to sleep incase some nasty selfish bastard wanted to take our hard scrounged food off us, using violence if we were starving enough to resist. But it’s simples in it. The world owes us all a livin init. :whistle:

• I don’t know about us attracting an historian to the thread zen, but from what I gather, folk flocked to the fields and factories. To take up the slack, while o/h, brothers, fathers, fought for freedoms threatened. Of course there was the option of cap in hand- go borrow on tick from wealthier Countries after the Country had depleted assets and funds available. A bit like now really. Except, those who drove the tractors, tilled the fields, women, alongside side prisoners and those conscripted, who worked the mines Bevin Boys. Didn’t share your apathy or self-indulgent nonsense. I would say most of those mentioned came away from the war well pleased with their own contribution... not to mention the added bonus of freedom from foreign tyranny or slavery, had the war had been lost. The crippling cost of that borrowing time was only lessened by the toil given without remorse or further imprisonment.

If we told nurses, no work, no food, bus drivers, police, ambulance drivers, pharmacists, fk just essential workers across the COVID spectrum, no work, no food. Then I could get “your picture,” That the world doesn’t give a fk. People are only here to be exploited, the higher up, the shallower the exploitation’s and better conditions to be exploited in. That’s neither Capitalist nor Socialist, it’s twatist.

• 'Who's streets.... Our streets'

Who's planet.... Our planet.

Who's land.... Our land.

It seems that uk propaganda and profiteering continues to make a mockery of all its servants.

It's up to you whether you choose to express attitudes of understanding towards such... We are all merely mortal and internalised conflict is a killer and crazy maker.

Our (guilt and psycho/social/emotional) need for it to be OK doesn't make it OK!

• New Guidelines for UK farmers and farm labourers released.....

Product update
    19 July 2020
    Advertisement
    HM_GOV_660_AW.png

Important social distancing
    guidelines for farmers
    Dear Farmer,

We would like to thank you as one of our food heroes for your great contribution to feeding the nation. Your continued work in these challenging times is hugely important.
    GettyImages-1223925484.jpg
    It is equally important that we all do our bit to keep ourselves and others safe.
    To help you with this, the government has issued updated guidelines for people who work in or run outdoor working environments.

This document is to help employers, employees and the self-employed in the UK understand how to work safely during the COVID-19 pandemic
    It is important that 2 metres social distancing is maintained wherever possible, or 1 metre plus precautions including while arriving at and departing from work, while in work, and when travelling between sites.

Where the social distancing guidelines cannot be followed in full in relation to a particular activity, businesses should consider whether that activity needs to continue for the business to operate, and, if so, take all the mitigating actions possible to reduce the risk of transmission between their staff.
    Mitigating actions include:
    • further increasing the frequency of hand washing and surface cleaning
    • keeping the activity time involved as short as possible
    • using screens or barriers to separate people from each other
    • using back-to-back or side-to-side working (rather than face-to-face) whenever possible
    • reducing the number of people each person has contact with by using ‘fixed teams or partnering’ (so each person works with only a few others)
    To aid the briefing of new workers coming to England to pick fruit and vegetables on farms, the guidance on border arrangements for seasonal agricultural workers is also available on GOV.UK in Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Russian and Belarusian.
    GettyImages-565406689.jpg
    Finally, we would like to inform you that the new NHS Test and Trace service has recently been launched in England. Anyone with a new, continuous cough, a high temperature or a change in their sense of smell or taste should immediately report these symptoms and book a test at nhs.uk/coronavirus or by calling 119. Anyone who tests positive for coronavirus will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace and given clear information explaining what they must do. Visit GOV.UK for more information on NHS Test and Trace.
    For more information, visit GOV.UK to read the specific guidance for construction and other outdoor work.
    In addition, the following organisations have published detail on how you might carry out government guidance in specific environments:
    Many thanks, once again, for your ongoing efforts.

Department for Environment
    Food & Rural Affairs