Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• You know how when you buy something and regret it, and you maybe dwell on it? Well, a while ago I decided to focus on the things I've bought that I really like and have really appreciated.

Obviously my bicycles occupy pride of place, but apart from them.

No.1 is a folding table which cost a tenner - bloody marvellous, use it all the time.

No.2 is a rechargeable vacuum cleaner - bloody marvellous, I can't use my mains machine, it's too powerful for my inverter so this new vac is a joy!

No.3 my little gps doodad that I use on my bicycles - bloody marvellous, saves faffing with maps when you're out and it's raining and windy.

Mistakes. Oh dear, bought replacement lights for the truck, oops they're 12V instead of 24V. By the time I pay to send them back it won't be worth it - does anyone in the Brighton area want some 12V lights?

• My van little thing but i love my little van, my rothenberger adjustable wrenches there beautiful, well worth the hefty price that i thought was mad at the time, my wet n dry vac its saved my bacon on many a leak, my sack barrow bought for a fiver at a sale,

but the wet n dry hoover game changer, suck a rad dry a loo, waste traps etc in seconds fewer spills less hastle.

• One of my best small buys was ten West German ex-army shirts, back in the 90's. A trader had them on the local market - I used to stand markets - at £1.50 each. They weren't moving very quick, so I offered to buy ten at £1 each. I have used them for work and around the place ever since. One or two are a bit frayed at the edges now, but because I rotate wearing them, they never seem to wear out! Quality of that kind must be difficult to find cheaply today....

• I can remember those west german shirts, brother and me had those and those parkers, in fact everyone at school had those parkers with dm boots, then they kind of fell out of fashion, and the zip went on mine, dad took to wearing it to feed the sheep, i think he was the coolest bloke going in mine and my brothers old parkers (lol).

• I can remember those west german shirts, brother and me had those and those parkers, in fact everyone at school had those parkers with dm boots, then they kind of fell out of fashion, and the zip went on mine, dad took to wearing it to feed the sheep, i think he was the coolest bloke going in mine and my brothers old parkers (lol).

Everyone at my school wore the german army coats too for a while. Also fashionable were the NCB donkey jackets with the orange shoulderpatch with NCB written on it. Nearly every boy in our high school had one, when school finished the local village looked like the end of shift at the pit! With a sea of orange walking down for the busses....😃

• Everyone at my school wore the german army coats too for a while. Also fashionable were the NCB donkey jackets with the orange shoulderpatch with NCB written on it. Nearly every boy in our high school had one, when school finished the local village looked like the end of shift at the pit! With a sea of orange walking down for the busses....😃

I used to get them free from the pit head stores. They were usually very tight at handing them out. So I would pick a old knackered, torn, oily donkey jacket up out of the dirt (underground in the mine) and exchange it for a new jacket from the stores. Everyone wanted steel toe cap pit boots, but donkey jackets in winter. Often cutting off the orange shoulder patch. Mainly because NCB stood for NO C*NTS BOTHERED.

• Ex army clothing was a bargain. Shirts, (moleskin) combat trousers and para boots got many of us though the 80s/90s

My Best buy was a handmade pair of full length leather tasseled moccasin boots, inc leather laces.
    I bought them for 50p from outside a traveler’s bus at Stonehenge in 1982/3 They really needed to be re-Soled back then, but I still haven’t got round to doing it yet. I’ve worn them every year since at different festivals. So comfortable I can and have slept in them.

• I used to get them free from the pit head stores. They were usually very tight at handing them out. So I would pick a old knackered, torn, oily donkey jacket up out of the dirt (underground in the mine) and exchange it for a new jacket from the stores. Everyone wanted steel toe cap pit boots, but donkey jackets in winter. Often cutting off the orange shoulder patch. Mainly because NCB stood for NO C*NTS BOTHERED.

When the coalfields were in full swing, all us mechanical types had a NCB toolkit, selection of tools in a shoulder bag made fron pit belting. All items were stamped NCB, we used to say it all came from a firm called Norman Collier Barroclough!...😁

• When the coalfields were in full swing, all us mechanical types had a NCB toolkit, selection of tools in a shoulder bag made fron pit belting.

funny enough I put a conveyor belt tool bag (inc a few rusty box spanner’s etc) in the carboot pile last week. It’s the hand carry type without a shoulder strap. The amount of Adjustable spanner’s the NCB/British coal must have got through. I had my Yam DT 175 cylinder head exhaust re-tapped at the colliery workshops. It cost me a bag of sugar. All our tools were stamped Not Coming Back :D

• I ve got a trowel thats worn to the size roughly of my hand, had it years didnt buy it either an old lad gave us it and it was his dads.

But going to good buys.

One of the best buys i ever bought was a ford fiesta from chapeltown, me and a mate looked all day in the free ads and big yellow papers, many a crock of crap we had come accross, one had more smoke than drax power station i asked was it starting from cold he said yes i poped bonnet block was red hot, i walked from that one.

but got at the end of the day to a light blue diesel fiesta, again i asked was it started from cold and it was eng block cold, it fired up no smoke and a good price, it had been an old boys low milage, the best car ever, it lasted years, only for rust around the windows making it leak, but man it had a hard life, a true workhorse till the end.

best car ever that car was made buy a person who loved there job that day.

• We had a series of vans since the late 1970's, but probably the best value-for-money buy was our (Rover!) Maestro van, which we used for local markets, festivals now and then, holidays, etc., sometimes kipping in the back if the weather was bad.

We bought when it was two years old in 1988, and believe it or not, it lasted until after we retired in 2011, selling it for spares to a lad in the Maestro owners club. It cost little to run, carried heavy loads of books regularly to market, and had very few big jobs done over the years, apart from new brake discs and calipers, and once when a front spring snapped, (luckily only going over a road-hump at the time!). Toward the end it needed a bit of DIY welding most years to get the MOT.

We stood together hand-in-hand watching the lad drive the van off, and a great sense of a stage in our life together being over came upon us. It was quite sad:(.

We bought a s/h estate car, but it was never quite the same. More comfortable in some ways, but we couldn't understand why we were carting empty seats about in the back... Before long the seats got tipped forward and we were using it as a van....:)

• i remeber as a lad going to the perkins factory while at college, we quite liked perkins engines, but at the end of the tour much merriment amoung a few lads ensuid when in the corner of the last bit of the tour was a maesto car with a perkins engine in, one lad said good engine shame about the car, those engines where quite good at the time, but got left behind when faster diesels and electronic ignitions came in.

• Had 2 maestro vans, loved em both. Both petrol but good on fuel & pulled well. Shortened a maestro van axle a couple years back to put under a trailer, then found out I couldn't buy wheels for it anywhere! Still looking so I can finish my trailer, probably end up with a different axle now tho...

• my first car was an Austin LD milk lorry! Great old bus. Put diesels in all sorts of cars including humber hawk estsate, zephyr, rover 100, volvo, commer living van and of course, landies. Oh yes, put one in a willys jeep too.

• Had 2 maestro vans, loved em both. Both petrol but good on fuel & pulled well. Shortened a maestro van axle a couple years back to put under a trailer, then found out I couldn't buy wheels for it anywhere! Still looking so I can finish my trailer, probably end up with a different axle now tho...

You tried any different brands?

rover, mgb, rover mg, maybe bmw?

• Found a pair in a scrap bin at a tyre sales yard, but the guy would only sell the set of 4 & wanted more than the trailer will be worth when its finished!

Cos I wouldn't buy them the prick wouldn't tell me what motor they were off....😡

• my beard touches my bellybutton when I’m not star gazing. It’s only a matter of time before it gets trapped in the PTO shaft, Dewalt drill, cutlery draw or fridge door. Oh wait I’ve had the fridge door, and lidded storage boxes. Loading up my arms with cut firewood gets interesting, especially when trying to drop the armful in the log basket. I’m reluctant to peer into my engine bay when it’s running.

• Working - or loafing - in a Community Shed in normal times, I can't afford to let what my missus calls the Winter Beard grow too long, as there's lots of wood machinery on the go!

So after a couple of really sweaty days - we haven't had any this year so far - I generally give it a trim, so it just about saves me washing my neck in front....:whistle:

• This threads going dangerously off topic almost like a blokes pub chat, however i ve recently got into doing my hair into a buzz quarantine cut, iz getting good at it, no one really notices so it cant be that bad,and iz got a head shaped like a messed up rugby ball.

I get the beard clipper set it about 3 and go against the hair grain, leave whats left on top at mo sod it like keeping me hair short aint got a choice really unless i go all time team style with bushes around the edge of a solar panel

• Sorry to go off topic with the beard, Prepper, but we can get back on again because the Wahl electric clippers I use I bought back in 1992, and I'm still using them, so they have been bloody good value, actually made in the USA, no manure!

Still have all the bits that came with them, including the comb that looks nice but ain't got teeth long enough for my hair to use....:D