Growing Tips.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello just wondered anyone like to share any tips on growing food, I am fascinated by it now, its so simple so great you buy a seed or cultivate a seed or plant and gives you food.

This is something i know very little about, other than a farming background, working land as kids rotavators and picking tatties for our winter food as kids.

Have i done anthing wrong,

Ive used old buckets, wheelbarrow tops that had holes in, and dug soil up riddled it then added compost, ( inknow compost aint very green but i think its made from recycled materials.

Ive now got access to horse manure, so thats great i here horse clap is pretty good.

So anyone wanting to post on growing (ok if you must the green stuff) but i m keen to learn and share stuff on growing veg and salad maybe even fuit, ive got a plan i have some old scaffold fencing panels theyd make ace fruit cages.

Anyone had a go trying to grow stuff indoors?

I mean as a fair control i mighjt grow tomatoes indoors in the window all you need is tomatoe plant feed i guess, maybe fruit flies and the like would get a bit annoying.

So share away

• You'll need pretty big pots or tubs to grow tomatoes in, Prepper. Unless you are able to water and feed them regularly. Tomatoes love plenty of water when they grow into big plants, especially when fruiting. They are greedy feeders too, so either put plenty of manure in the bottom of the pots when potting them, or be prepared to liquid-feed them regularly, once or twice a week.

A sunny window-sill might do, but unless you have a wide window ledge you may need to put them on a table, or make up a stand for them. They go up tall if there's not enough light, so to get decent-sized tomatoes stop the plant at the third or fourth fruiting truss (bunch). The aim is to have one main fruiting stem, and take out all side shoots, and shoots from the bottom of the plant.

Except for bush tomatoes, the ones with the small fruits. You can let these grow freely, just keep them from spreading too much. The small-fruited tomatoes are not quite so fussy, and will tolerate a bit of occasional neglect, but still need good soil and regular watering.

As regards ventilation, give plenty on warm days, some on cool days, but they don't like long cold nights, so if it's going to drop below 10C overnight, either close your windows or just leave a crack on.

• Wow learning a lot thankyou. This is brilliant.

I ve bascily cocked up then ive potted the tomatoe seed in small or medium sized pots that i was going to transplant into bigger pots.

The sink thing is a bit of a bodge really was just thinking on the hoof of a quick way of something, and the stainless sink gets cold on and evening, so more thought.

Been at work today i am abs knackered, aint done a lot but my health seems a bit poor, ie i was using stairs quite a bit

• A gardener friend of mine grows in soil and uses horse poo as a liquid plant food , you can also use nettles as a source of nitrogen.

Just read this advice from Alan Titchmarsh -

' Liquid feeds are something else you can make for yourself. Take an old plastic dustbin or swing bin, fill it to the top with freshly picked nettles (which make a high nitrogen feed) or comfrey (for a potash-rich tomato feed) and press them down

as hard as you can, then top the container up with water and put the lid on.

After a month, remove the decomposing plant remains and use the rather niffy liquid, diluted about one part to six with water, for feeding patio tubs and hanging baskets, veg and salad beds, and greenhouse crops. (Don’t risk it for indoor pot plants or small seedlings, since these are a tad delicate).

You can also make your own liquid manure. Half-fill an old onion sack from the greengrocers – the sort made of plastic netting – with matured cow pats or well-rotted horse manure and dunk it into a similar container of water.

Blackjack they used to call it – with good reason.

You can start using the liquid after three to four weeks, as soon as it’s turned the colour of freshly brewed tea before you add the milk.

Just dip your watering can in till you’ve collected an inch or two of the fluid then top up with water.'

Whole piece here -

https://www.express.co.uk/life…marsh-A-garden-to-DIY-for

• Theres loads of tips, vids ideas on YouTube for inspiration and Pintrest for build Ideas, regarding growing food small scale, permaculture, organic, garden/window box/vertical growing/no dig/low maintenance/ recycling materials etc. Such a big subject and very rewarding if you put in the time.
    Some take you from A to Z, but find something that works for you and grow as you learn.

I’m really into no dig veg gardening, cover with sheets, mulch, straw hay, old wool carpets, membrane etc.
    This year I’m focusing on pot/tub growing and incorporating low maintenance, energy efficient watering methods.

eg Container growing in large tubs. Recycled plastic (Pop/milk) bottles stood up in bottom of container. Hole Drilled in side of container just above top of open bottles. Membrane over open bottles (stops soil, main roots going into bottles.) Cover membrane with soil up to top of container. Rain water fills standing bottles until full, surplus runs out through hole in side of container. Helps keep growing plants watered for several days if away on holiday. Top up to container side hole with tap water if it hasn’t rained enough. most plants suffer stress if short of water periodically. Recycling all these “useful shaped containers, bottles, guttering, tubes, pipes, skip tat, is very rewarding.

• I ve bascily cocked up then ive potted the tomatoe seed in small or medium sized pots that i was going to transplant into bigger pots.

Nothing wrong there. Just pot them on into larger pots or tubs when they get a bit big and unwieldy. You shouldn't put any young seedlings into big pots to start with, as they tend to get over-watered, and end up swimming, which soon kills them off.

(If seedlings are kept too wet in a big pot they tend to get mould, and die like flies).

• Growing stuff, this is something I would love to do but is obvs completely at odds with a nomadic lifestyle. For the duration of the lockdown I bought a growbag and will plant some veg (if I can find any seeds!). In the meantime I've planted some bee seeds (flowers that bees like) and found some giant sunflower seeds yesterday. Very exciting!

Disappointed with my avocado pip, it's been over a week and nothing! 😂😂

• I’m selling van window grow tidies. They come with two sucker hooks and consist of 8 stitched pouches (grow pockets) 4 x in top row, 4 x in lower row. 62cm h x 49cm w 15cm between top and bottom rows. The pockets have drain holes in the bottom to prevent overwatering if left in the rain. They are made of heavy duty transparent pvc so as not to diffuse too much daylight into the vehicle or stand out too much against vehicle colour. UV tolerant PVC too. They can be stuck to windows inside or out and vehicle metalwork inside or out. I’ve been growing herbs and salad in them last year. I place 8 cm diameter biodegradable plant pots in each of the pockets to protect the roots from sunlight and to make restocking easy when growing on from seeds.
    I’ve got 200 units left in stock. I had booked into Quirky camper festival this year, but shit happens. :(

• I’m selling van window grow tidies. They come with two sucker hooks and consist of 8 stitched pouches (grow pockets) 4 x in top row, 4 x in lower row. 62cm h x 49cm w 15cm between top and bottom rows. The pockets have drain holes in the bottom to prevent overwatering if left in the rain. They are made of heavy duty transparent pvc so as not to diffuse too much daylight into the vehicle or stand out too much against vehicle colour. UV tolerant PVC too. They can be stuck to windows inside or out and vehicle metalwork inside or out. I’ve been growing herbs and salad in them last year. I place 8 cm diameter biodegradable plant pots in each of the pockets to protect the roots from sunlight and to make restocking easy when growing on from seeds.
    I’ve got 200 units left in stock. I had booked into Quirky camper festival this year, but shit happens. :(

Sounds like a great idea. Almost litter-picked Quirky Campers last year, we got put off at the last minute though.

• I'm into the second year of only using my own seeds.........onions, beetroot, spuds, tomatoes, radishes, carrots, garlic, nasturtims and about twenty flowers that I haven't got a clue what they are!. Oh yes a load of cuttings of trees...................I have one plant that I just call Brighton blue cos I nicked the seeds from a park in Brighton.

• There’s quite a few posts on here about camp Quirky, maybe a thread of two. Some members that were there last year said they wouldn’t go again. Partially because it’s expensive for what it is and having to pay for dog tickets etc. But if your interested in the campervan build scene and want ideas for conversions, There’s plenty to see. Workshop talks about various subjects relating to campervan builds, off grid van living, making money on the road, blogging etc. It’s not a let’s get wankered and be foolish event. Very much lights down low and quite after midnight.

• worth litter picking just for the free ticket and experience. It’s not a messy festival, plenty of bins around the place and folk seem considerate, sensible and responsible. I’m sure you would find time to do/see any personal stuff too.

I worked (traded at) a Glastonbury for several years, before I went as a punter. Two very different festival experiences and at my time of life, I now like to take things much slower. The year I took my then “new electric wheelchair” 2008? was the only time I ever got to see a lot of the festival as it’s such a big site.

I would only go back to quirky (on that particular site) is to trade/sell goods or sell/buy a vehicle. If it was a smaller gathering (with less straights) I would prefer it more too.

After living for free festivals, I find these commercials events just too much of a rip off.