Things you hate doing so keep putting off until you really really have to?​

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Yeah the tools are like precious, you can talk to to the tools, care for them and they never let you down as long as you respect them.

If people want to borrow the tools, I have learnt to say no.. But rather than be poisoned by saying no, I do try to offer my help with the kit. Little jobs for a beer and a bite to eat satisfy me and my friends.

• Yes, I have sadly learned over the years that the only tools you can safely lend are those you are thinking of replacing anyway. Then, if they don't return, you have a good excuse to look for a better version!

I think I may have mentioned before about a relative who used to borrow tools from me, and fail to return them. Always making excuses when asked, and in the end saying the only tool of that type he had was his own. Because I had several mates to whom I also entrusted tools, I soon forgot who had them.

When this relative borrowed the O/H's maps for some holiday, and never returned them after being asked several times, she led a raid on his place when she knew he wasn't in. (She had a key for emergencies).

She eventually found her beloved maps, and in the course of searching we looked in the garage where, neatly stacked, was all the bloody kit he had borrowed off me over the years! Bits of kit I'd forgotten I owned were there, and garden kit, along with car kit, sockets sets, everything from axle stands to timing lights! There was no question about them being mine, because they still had my initials on them. There was half a Maestro van load before we'd finished!

Funny thing is, he never said a bloody word about it afterwards. Not about the maps, nor the tools.

• ... Funny thing is, he never said a bloody word about it afterwards. Not about the maps, nor the tools.

Either too embarrassed or he never used them and forgot he had them?

BTW, if a certain I.L. who lived in Royston and used to give me a lift to Luton in the seventies is on here, I'd really like my Incredible String Band song book back and I bet Steve who was at college with us would like his guitar back too ...

FWF has a small whiteboard by his front door on which he has written a list of who has borrowed what. It's an idea. I'm impressed, Keith, that your tools are initialled. Very impressed!

• I think most of us have something we regret trusting others with. Some of us more than most. I had two very good friends die owing me a lot of money. Yet I now look back on their souls and friendship as a price worth paying for the colour, support, adventure and excitement we shared during times together. And no way will I let my financial loss dull the love I still hold for those two friends. Other material things loaned and lost don’t get a thought. However I live in fear of forgetting I’ve not returned to/paid back anyone who trusted to me.

I give more than I sell. I keep more than I share. I’m not wise, I’m still foolish and choose to see good in those I get close to, but that’s the person I’ve grown to be.

• FWF has a small whiteboard by his front door on which he has written a list of who has borrowed what. It's an idea. I'm impressed, Keith, that your tools are initialled. Very impressed!

The whiteboard sounds a good idea !:thumbup:

I did start a notebook at one time, but I didn't always have it with me when someone borrowed something, and it was easy to lose the notebook, too.

I started initialing my kit when I first started at mechanical engineering and mechanic's courses; everyone was given the same sets of kit, so if you lent something out there was little chance of getting it back, and it was very easy for someone, if they were missing a spanner, to pick up someone else's and pretend it was their own.

• The whiteboard sounds a good idea !:thumbup:

I did start a notebook at one time, but I didn't always have it with me when someone borrowed something, and it was easy to lose the notebook, too.

I started initialing my kit when I first started at mechanical engineering and mechanic's courses; everyone was given the same sets of kit, so if you lent something out there was little chance of getting it back, and it was very easy for someone, if they were missing a spanner, to pick up someone else's and pretend it was their own.

I might start carving it in my bed headboard. Encourage the missus to do the same. I just hope over time she don’t owe owt to more notches than me. :eek: