Is Green Mean.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I believe that we do need to look after this planet a lot better than we do. The UK in particular needs to Re-Forest, the huge swaithes of land that have been chopped down, where I live on the Yorkshire Moors, Moorland is posh for industrial wasteland, which is what it is in effect, de-forested by the Monks to clear for lead mining and smelting, its kept as it is for the landed gentry to shoot the rare Red Grouse, and then take £ to Bahamas or other tax haven. So as you can tell I have an opinion and think we need to improve the situation.

BUT I have also had to watch as The National Parks have banned the Sports and Activitys I love, on the grounds of Noise and damage to enviroment. e.g there is no public water of any size a mile or more length in england where I can waterski and jetski, you have to pay a club, not one lake in the District where I can do my essential sports. I say essential as I am Autistic and also suufer with PTSD from my time as a Soldier. Before the CRIMINAL BAN on Windermere I could control my PTSD and Autism better, functioning well enough to work and have a useful life. The Ban on Windermere made in effect the Sea the only place or pay silly £ to private clubs, I dont do clubs or crowds due to health/brain probs. So as a direct Eco improvment which all you walkers, sailers on other selfish (Cant write here what I want its too offensive) anti motorsport petite massagers. My healyh has gone too shit.

So their you go be interested in justifying my health against some noise pollution. My other hobby was trail riding my motorbike something I had done from being 13yrs old, now all trails closed, I remember when there were no walkers it wasnt fashionable, and as a countryboy born and bred, It pees me off that townies have more say bout countryside than people who live in it. Local community in Windermere were against the BAN, just got steam rollered through democratic(my ARSE) parliment. And yet I have to put up with townie driving round in cars polluting so they can sit in cars using it as a viewing platform for the pretty hills. walkers who seem to think they should walk on the roads and not the 400sq miles of moor.

Rule for 0ne rule for the other.

P.S if you do walk on the roads on York Moors be aware theres a very peeed off local who objects to what you DO. only joking (Or am I:reddevil::reddevil::boing::boing:)

• With you there brother! I can relate to the townies hijacking the countryside bud, buying up all the housing in once rural small farming communities like the one I come from then ruining the area with new housing etc. So now the people who historically belong there can't get a fucking look in.

Had to leave the family farm as I couldn't afford to live locally on agricultural wages, then had to leave the village as I couldn't afford to live there anyway! Lot of areas devastated by bent planners passing outrageous developments while I aren't allowed to live on our own family farm even tho I'm 4th generation...

Even worse I'm also frowned on for wanting to live on the road!

The few byways that existed round the area ate all closed to public access now too, so no more days out in my 4x4...

Sad to say but this virus fiasco is looking like it could be yet more long term erosion of our rights to roam/ public access etc😒

Fingers crossed that we still at least have such as Dovedale to look forward to ....

• Hey BigBear

My thoughts are with you, I have seen too many men like yourself put off the land, IT SUCKS, where am sat now I have one of best views in the world, but when I was a young man, late teens I use to look out on 3 working farms, now 3 paddocks for Penelope and Rupert and the horsey set. You can always tell the townie he's the prat in the clean barbour jacket. Have a trip up to the Moors some good spots to park up away from the hustle.

• I will say this the negative effects not being able to do sports and activitys I had done since being a kid, learnt to ride a motorbike in a local quarry aged 8, learnt to waterski on windermere aged 12. I dont actually know how to put it into words, its that negative on my life.

• Hey BigBear

My thoughts are with you, I have seen too many men like yourself put off the land, IT SUCKS, where am sat now I have one of best views in the world, but when I was a young man, late teens I use to look out on 3 working farms, now 3 paddocks for Penelope and Rupert and the horsey set. You can always tell the townie he's the prat in the clean barbour jacket. Have a trip up to the Moors some good spots to park up away from the hustle.

Love the North Yorks Moors man, be up there soon as this shitstorm passes. Got a couple of clifftop spots that i use, looking straight out to sea. Looking forward to hitting the trail again, maybe catch you out there ....👍

• I will say this the negative effects not being able to do sports and activitys I had done since being a kid, learnt to ride a motorbike in a local quarry aged 8, learnt to waterski on windermere aged 12. I dont actually know how to put it into words, its that negative on my life.

Feel sad for the kids today who will never have the opportunities we had to ride field bikes & drive bangers around, cos its all shut to them now. Reckon I'm a better driver cos I grew up behind a wheel/ pair of handlebars. Wish my boy could experience the same freedom I had at his age but his generation are all fucking games console pilots now....😞

• Thats exactly what I said bout windermere when it got closed to speed, the thought no kid will ever experience that again, disgusts me beyond words. and learning to chuck a bike around in a muddy field is A) The best fun going B) you learn so much skill from it goes into riding and driving alike, e.g you dont panic and hit brakes when it slides. I remenber having tractor races on farms I worked on as a kid of 11, it was so dangerous am still here LOL. Its funny i have watched the emasculation of this country, and taken away from kids who hate school etc any form of release from fun motorsport, unless its all ORGANISED, whoopdeedee thats fun NOT

• Love the North Yorks Moors man, be up there soon as this shitstorm passes. Got a couple of clifftop spots that i use, looking straight out to sea. Looking forward to hitting the trail again, maybe catch you out there ....👍

When your up this way drop me note, meet up for a can or 2, Am a smoker mind

• I believe that we do need to look after this planet a lot better than we do. The UK in particular needs to Re-Forest, the huge swaithes of land that have been chopped down, where I live on the Yorkshire Moors, Moorland is posh for industrial wasteland, which is what it is in effect, de-forested by the Monks to clear for lead mining and smelting, its kept as it is for the landed gentry to shoot the rare Red Grouse, and then take £ to Bahamas or other tax haven. So as you can tell I have an opinion and think we need to improve the situation.

BUT I have also had to watch as The National Parks have banned the Sports and Activitys I love, on the grounds of Noise and damage to enviroment. e.g there is no public water of any size a mile or more length in england where I can waterski and jetski, you have to pay a club, not one lake in the District where I can do my essential sports. I say essential as I am Autistic and also suufer with PTSD from my time as a Soldier. Before the CRIMINAL BAN on Windermere I could control my PTSD and Autism better, functioning well enough to work and have a useful life. The Ban on Windermere made in effect the Sea the only place or pay silly £ to private clubs, I dont do clubs or crowds due to health/brain probs. So as a direct Eco improvment which all you walkers, sailers on other selfish (Cant write here what I want its too offensive) anti motorsport petite massagers. My healyh has gone too shit.

So their you go be interested in justifying my health against some noise pollution. My other hobby was trail riding my motorbike something I had done from being 13yrs old, now all trails closed, I remember when there were no walkers it wasnt fashionable, and as a countryboy born and bred, It pees me off that townies have more say bout countryside than people who live in it. Local community in Windermere were against the BAN, just got steam rollered through democratic(my ARSE) parliment. And yet I have to put up with townie driving round in cars polluting so they can sit in cars using it as a viewing platform for the pretty hills. walkers who seem to think they should walk on the roads and not the 400sq miles of moor.

Rule for 0ne rule for the other.

P.S if you do walk on the roads on York Moors be aware theres a very peeed off local who objects to what you DO. only joking (Or am I:reddevil::reddevil::boing::boing:)

Moorland is a unique and valuable habitat for wildlife. Not only that but it’s a massive Carbon sink. Those trees you speak of! After being completely tree bare following the last ice age, Scots pine, Oak, Hazel, Birch and Alder slowly colonised North Yorkshire as the ice retreated the trees marched Northward. All those decayed forests for thousands of years are what we know now as peat. Stone Age man practiced slash and burn, then the Iron Age came along and like you mention, quarrying for resources and deforestation continued . Successions of Kings and then Navy's continued to fell selected trees for many uses, including ship building. The forestry commission became established as a result of industrial demand for timber and coal mining. Vast areas of the Moors was turned over to tree plantation. However, North Yorkshire Moors is now a National Park and as such has more standing trees than any other National Park in the Country. Over 300 kilometres of woodlands and forest in that National Park. Be very proud.

Regarding your access to open water, Like most areas in the Country with public access, It has to be managed. If there were no controls over land and water use. Like you say. Townies (those who can afford to buy motorbikes and jest skies, power boats) would be all over it. What is now a tranquil area of outstanding natural beauty (tongue in cheek,) yes sheep do graze it close. This In turn keeps the Flora (heather) heathlands/moorlands in check and delays natural afforestation. These heathlands have taken thousands of years to establish. Again unique and a habitat for wildlife dependent on both species and habitat type. The UK has 20% of the worlds heathland and the UK is loosing heathland annually (many factors, including climate) be very greatful.

So by managing the Countryside and restricting the type of motor sport/recreation to only designated areas. It stands to reason there is going to be costs involved. For instance. Public liability insurance for motorcyclists and jet skiers. Accidents happen, so authorities insist your competent, legal, operate within guidelines and have insurance. Just monitoring/policing one activity like jet skiing requires an employee. If one body of water is open for that activity. Then two employees are required 7 days a week and 7am till 7pm in summer and they are entitled to holidays, so that’s three employees, or the venue is restricted to set opening times. I get it. No fun in that! Look at the Inner Cities. Kids pulling wheelies down the streets on crossers. Is that what you want to see in North Yorkshire National parks too?

We/our generation were very lucky. We could ride out in the Countryside. We could play in lakes, ponds, rivers. There was no compensation culture back then. If you had your motorbike confiscated and got a good kick in off the gamekeeper/landowner/neighbour/police. So what. Part of the “fun.” well it ain’t like that these days. If we injure someone and they can’t claim off us, they take the landowner, Council to court for letting their Park be used by these “offenders” (guilt by complacency.). So landowners/managers put up prohibit signs, Police the place. Where they do manage recreation, they charge for that.

To be honest. I used to fish regularly and on a lake there could be 20, 50 fishermen at anyone time, day or night. All paying day ticket or season ticket. You come along for your fun with your jet ski. You ain’t going to be popular. Now if you’ve paid for the privilege, those fishermen will have to fish around you or go somewhere else. It’s easy. its management. But if we want everything for free, then this country ain’t big enough for “all of us”

• I pretty much disagree with most of what you say, your what I call a Townie who thinks they have the right to control everything, and why I sure as shit regret going to war to protect, I wouldnt have any probs with kids using the trails for wheeling on , Am not sure what your history lesson is for. I am on about now and your so full of BS, the primary function of moorland is shooting, both species are bred for that purpose and are invasive alien species. Your one of these sad control freaks that everything has to managed, you said POLICING in your sad little police state. Well I believe in freedom, an am hoping this virus really does put the balance back to nature, were your BS society and rule of law takes a flying F. You see its all about you, I havent got one lake and you go on about fisherman, who have thousands of miles of fishing and walkers who want it all their way, and you think your good people SCUM, and so you know we always had to pay a fee for windermere and proof of insurance. It tells me what arseholes rule. Hail the apocalypse, freedom will rule, and the strong will rise:mad::mad::mad::mad::boing::boing::boing: Oh and its not half the carbon sink it would be if TREES grew on it, great swaithes less than 10% NYMNP is forest and its all invasive species, the moors should be mixed oak forest, not forced for timber with a poisned soil beneath them that nowt grows on, grateful for what, you really are a townie knob who read a book. Stay in your town where you belong. And NYMNP is only an organisation to protect rights of land owners and what they want with tax payers £, an unelected bunch of faggots or savoury duck to be PC or is that FO. As you said close this close that. Everybody has the right to use countryside not just you pricks.

• How come only motorsport needs insurance, I see air ambulance all time, then in paper some prick walker with a sprained ankle, why should you twats get it for free

• History of Moorlands UK

There is uncertainty about how many moors were created by human activity. Oliver Rackham writes that pollen analysis shows that some moorland, such as in the islands and extreme north of Scotland, are clearly natural, never having had trees,[2] whereas much of the Pennine moorland area was forested in Mesolithic times.

Mesolithic

It refers to the final period of hunter-gatherercultures in Europe and Western Asia, between the end of the Last Glacial Maximum and the Neolithic Revolution. In Europe it spans roughly 15,000 to 5,000 BP;

Sheep/cattle

Agriculture[edit]

More sheep more cattle

For over a thousand years the basis of the economy in the North York Moors was agriculture. The rural scene, which attracts millions of visitors to the park each year, has been formed and maintained by generations of farmers. The 1996 Agricultural Census recorded a total workforce of 2,913 employed on 1,342 working farms. Sheep and cattle provide the prime source of farm income. The dale farms have rights to graze sheep on the open moor. The rights to moorland grazing are often essential to the economic viability of a farm. In recent years agriculture in Britain has suffered economic setbacks and the viability of hill farming has become questionable. A number of environmental schemes to improve farm incomes have been devised but the industry continues to decline.

Agricultural use of the moors is shared with grouse shooting as a means of gaining financial return from the vast expanse of heather.

Victorian age.

1850 true shotgun in common use.
    1850-1890 Grouse shooting became a sport on Moorland.

Since Victorian times grouse shooting has been a country sport. Red grouse cannot be bred in captivity easily, so gamekeepers look after the moors to suit the grouse. Ideally there will be some grouse to shoot and plenty left to breed the following year.

Red grouse need young heather with tender, green shoots for feeding and older, taller heather in which to shelter and build nests. Gamekeepers achieve this by burning small areas of old heather every year, which encourages new heather plants to grow.

So we can deduce, Moorland, Heathland, Red Grouse and moorlands were managed far back in time. In fact for well over a thousand years, the moorlands have looked pretty much as they do today.....Moorland is not a creation of the toffs/townies, you refer to. And now still managed for conservation of habitat and subsequent activities, including agriculture, Country sports, recreation.

I don’t see City folk/townies ever letting you have your childhood greenfields to yourself. If anything, their coming in their droves, on foot, pushbike, Bus, train, Chelsea tractors, posh. Campers. They see it as their backyard now, the worlds getting smaller my friend. Face facts lostbear, we live in a managed Country and most of us are paying for it, even when we don’t like it.

Ps. ,while you were running around with your tommy gun, I worked down a coal mine, digging coal for folk to build the war machine. None of us do owt in isolation, except hide from viruses.

• Lol , in these woke times you should just embrace your new identity as a townie girly instead of being a bigot living in the middle of fucking nowhere in your wagon.

Woke! medicated up to the rafters, “ he’s still out on patrollll”

oh I’m embracing it alight. Why go to the lengths of changing my name, ID and buying a phone of the dark web. When I can just put on a petticoat, put my hair in pigtails, chew on a stem of grass, and pretend I’m all Cuntry. :insane:

• And your fact 300KM of forest, whats that if you line all trees up, thats TOTAL BS, 300sq km what a joke you love in dream land. bet your a park volunteer, polluting us in your car. Rule for one rule for the other. scum

READ for Yourself.
    https://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/discover/woodland

You might be surprised to learn that the North York Moors is one of the most wooded of England's National Parks. Woodland and forest covers about 22 percent of the National Park – that’s over 300 square kilometres of trees – so it’s of huge importance. Woodland also clothes many of the valley sides, giving the landscape a distinctive character.

In our native woodlands, oak, ash, birch and rowan thrive, while shrubs such as hazel and hawthorn provide the understorey. Alder often grows in the damper ground along rivers and streams. Large broadleaf woods are rare but significant woods are still found in the lower parts of some valleys such as the Esk, or at Roxby near Staithes and Mulgrave Woods near Sandsend.

• I think I've removed the nastiness -- this thread is now open again, but please keep to the topic and refrain from making direct and personal attacks on other members.

Well your idea of removing the "nastiness" which removed my innocuous post is pretty laughable considering the vitriol still on show. But it's your website, censor away.

• OK, let's try this again. I apologise if I missed stuff or deleted the wrong stuff -- I was somewhat distracted at the time I was alerted to a post report.

I'm going to open this again, and ask that, if I fucked up, that you forgive me, and you please resist the urge to insult or fight during this stressful period of our existence.

<3

• well! I've just fitted some solar panels to my workshop! Everything bar the welder now works off the panels and battery bank. All the batteries are second hand deep cycle and the inverter is a 2000 watt one. I could run the welder if I had a bigger inverter but I've no more spare cash. All of my garden equipment is now electric including the ride on mower and garden tractor which I converted myself with all second hand motors, batteries etc. The grandkids have a 4 seater 1/4 size jeep and a little tractor and trailer of their own, all electric of course and built by me.

None of this is because I'm, 'green' it's just because I like building stuff and also like electric traction.

• well! I've just fitted some solar panels to my workshop! Everything bar the welder now works off the panels and battery bank. All the batteries are second hand deep cycle and the inverter is a 2000 watt one. I could run the welder if I had a bigger inverter but I've no more spare cash. All of my garden equipment is now electric including the ride on mower and garden tractor which I converted myself with all second hand motors, batteries etc. The grandkids have a 4 seater 1/4 size jeep and a little tractor and trailer of their own, all electric of course and built by me.

None of this is because I'm, 'green' it's just because I like building stuff and also like electric traction.

Could we one-day have a hippy gathering workshop at your place? We could all do with inspiration. I’m sure we could all contribute a vehicle full of useful recycled tatt for a group project too. A bit like hippy scrapyard challenge.