Cycling - road and off-road

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi. Any other cyclists on here? Love riding bikes, however down I feel it only takes a few minutes into a bike ride and I'm smiling.

Mountain biking is my favourite, got my first mountain bike in 1984, gathered up all my courage, and joined a Sunday ride in Wendover. I didn't know anyone, but I instantly took to the off road thing. Did loads of racing, won quite a few races (long time ago now) and most importantly made friends that I am still in touch with now.

Kind of went off the group ride thing, it all became very fashionable and I felt some people didn't really get the essence of it. I mostly ride alone these days - not least because I'm not that fit, the last few years have been majorly stressful and have kept me off the bike a bit.

The current situation has allowed more time to ride and luckily I was in Brighton when the lockdown started so I can ride The Downs literally from my front door. Bliss!

(No disrespect or trivialisation intended to folk who have been negatively affected by Covid19).

• I have enjoyed bikes my whole life. As a kid I borrowed ten bob off my dad to buy a bike. It had no seat, no brakes and cow horn handlebars. Every weekend a gang of us rode into the forest to a place scramblers. Hells angles and the likes played on motorbikes. I’ve got several bikes, a mountain bike, a Dutch bike and I have a electric trike but miss peddling.

Bikes are two a penny if you don’t want the latest model and prepared to clean them up or fix them. I don’t like town or city cycling, but county lanes and tracks offer more than exercise.

• you would love Dovedale Millie. Jay and mates have cool mountain bikes and a healthy attitude to using them. If you attended bring your bike. :thumbup:

• I miss cycling. As a kid I cycled a lot right up to passing my driving test, then not so much. Sadly my legs are a bit fucked just now but I'm actively trying to get them working again now so I can start cycling again hopefully....

• I miss cycling. As a kid I cycled a lot right up to passing my driving test, then not so much. Sadly my legs are a bit fucked just now but I'm actively trying to get them working again now so I can start cycling again hopefully....

I bought a secondhand treadmill in 2004, thinking it would speed up recovery from a back injury. It’s been in storage for the last 15 years. Last week I get it out, thinking there’s never been a better time. Plugged it in, mounted the machine. Fk me, that’s not what I call walking speed these days. After 20 seconds I realised why it went into storage. The machine doesn’t take prisoners and these gym junkies don’t want to walk. Great for a cardiovascular workout and a adrenaline rush from fearing “the crash” on dismounting. Who knows. I might improve or sell it on. :whistle: