What makes a good person??????

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• In this the Strangest of times for the Human Race, and am not on about the Bug. I am refering to the wierd capitalist, Rule of Law (even if injust, and most are) follow politicians etc etc society we live in.

Is it possible for people to be genuinely good. Old saying " A man should FIGHT for what he believes". Really if a man fights nowadays he is vilified and put in Prison, and i dont mean just violence, Julian Assange anybody. I have been lucky enough to live around the planet and the western society has forced the castration of straight alpha males. I cant go out in this country, as the rascist shit I here angers me so much ref:Brexit, and I am a Straight Alpha who would like to should we say challenge that.

Look Forward to a good conversation.

In the mean time ALL of you out there STAY SAFE. And for gods sake dont rely on your government to protect you. If reinfection etc hits hard buy an NBC army style respirator it is only thing that will give you full facial protection, on ebay not pretty but works, you can sterilise filters in oven at 100c for 30 mins (Old Soldier):insane::insane::):)

• I never get the vibe that the general public are racists. Obviously there are racists in great numbers, just like there is intolerance amongst most of us.

I was reading something the other day, that suggested anti semitism stems from medieval times. A time when Jews were forbidden to charge interest on loans. This left many feeling they were forever beholden for the loan help and therefore many became resentful of Jews. I don’t know how accurate this is.

• Lets not go down the judian road. I live in North of england and the amount of racism i here is majority. You see due to my appearance the rascists thing I must be one of them, so they open there mouths, thinking tey are safe to do so. OOoopps

• Isn't there good and bad in all of us? I suppose a good person is one where the good end of the see-saw is more weighted than the bad end.

I would say good qualities would be, giving to charity, being kind to animals, living in respect and harmony with for the planet and others. Compassion, mindfulness. Honesty (of soul).

Probably.

It's a hard one isn't it, when you actually get down to defining it? Easier to say what a bad person is.

• Lets not go down the judian road. I live in North of england and the amount of racism i here is majority. You see due to my appearance the rascists thing I must be one of them, so they open there mouths, thinking tey are safe to do so. OOoopps

what do you look like to make your experiences so? What ethnicity are you if it’s not too personal a question?
    I get this question on all the forms. It’s not going to change. I’m always going to be the same “other” only joking. I’m sunburned in summer, born in the NHS.

• it goes to show, life experiences differ so very much. I wasn’t bullied, even at school. Nor did I bully, but many were bullied. We’ve never been wealthy, many of us weren’t. I’ve always lived a free spirited. Some owt to try it. I’ve never followed or believed in religion. It’s never hurt me.

There’s hasn’t been many periods throughout history when all the above could happen.

In answer to the O/P. Hard as it is to answer. I would say. What makes a good person are those who speak of them after the grave.

Even those who try their best, can fk up before they die. Seems few do live without sinn in someone’s eyes.

• I suspect that the "one man's trash is another man's treasure" concept probably applies to people too. Perhaps it depends on where one stands as to what one sees? I doubt that anyone is wholly good or completely bad. Maybe we simply don't notice the really good people? Do we even want to? Perhaps it's easier to see the bad because it reflects what we don't like to see in ourselves?

I do agree with lostbear that the law and the media can help reshape the general public's concepts of what is "good" and "bad" and there is genuine danger in that. It is really hard to know what or whom to believe. Personally I find people more agreeable if they tread lightly, but at the same time there are others I admire because they make a fuss and stand up for a cause that happens to be in line with something I think makes sense or because they are vocal in support of other people who can't always stand up for themselves.

• 'What makes a good person?'

'Good' is a relative concept, whether one likes it or not. What is considered 'Good' by any particular individual depends on upbringing, peer ideas, beliefs or lack of them, innate morality, knowledge and education, etc.

Among some, it is seen as good to steal. A good thief amasses wealth, is looked up to by that kind of society, and greatly admired.

In modern capitalist society, the very biggest thieves and parasites are often looked at by most of society as being great and good men.

It is sobering to reflect that most of us, if we think enough about it, may have our price.

So a good person is a relative concept.

• i'm reading off a different page from the book here but right now my daughter did a thing that a good person would do.

if you've read about being self empoyed and furloughed and having to go on universal credit from me, then it will make sense.

my daughter G is 24, tonight she transferred some money to my bank account because she knows i have to wait until next Thursday for a payment. (i should add that she and her partner are both still working full time from home so they still have an income).

i have food in the freezer and the cupboard but i'm out of silly things like milk, bread, loo roll, fresh produce and shampoo...............

she said, here, mum, get some essentials and go online shopping at Lush, get your shampoo and some bath bombs and pamper yourself for once.

i didn't ask her for any help, she just did it.

i am so proud of her .

thank you, Georgie xxx

*parenting win*

• what do you look like to make your experiences so? What ethnicity are you if it’s not too personal a question?
    I get this question on all the forms. It’s not going to change. I’m always going to be the same “other” only joking. I’m sunburned in summer, born in the NHS.

I am large of stature, Am told intimidating by size, I dont see it am only 5"11 but shoulders face etc well lets just say " People judge the book by the cover" . Ethnicity, I always say citizen of the Earth, but what your looking for is "White Boy" LOL. I probably have had very different experiences to most of you "Its certainly been a ride" with good and bad, joy and sadness like most, I have served as a soldier (Proud to have served, digusted to be used as a tool of the Rich), and travelled the world, met people from so many different walks in life.

I have read with interest your replies, thanks for them all. I think we live in such a strange time for the human race, its is nye on impossible to be a good person, you will at least have to be a hypocrit to some degree if you live in the western world, and thats just to survive the material capitalist world we live in.

I will let you in on some info, I am high functioning Autistic, wasnt diagnosed till 48 age not year:) so I have always seen the world diffrentley to the majority, my brain and mouth coordination have made life "interesting" :whistle: .

These are the things for me that make a good person.

Honest of heart

Courage

The will to educate oneself

Kindness to strangers

True charity not a few quid in a box

The will to fight and die for what you believe in

Not to behave like a parasite to people and planet

To Love and protect.

Here endeth the first lesson:):)

• . I cant go out in this country, as the rascist shit I here angers me so much ref:Brexit, and I am a Straight Alpha who would like to should we say challenge that.

lostbear when you say you can’t go out, do you mean to clubs, pubs, gigs etc or in public? and being a white Male of big stature do you feel your stereotyped and attract voluntary opinions from predominantly racist Scott’s, Brits, etc?

It seems being White male is bad in this woke age. I personally disagree with that.

There are many opinions that won’t sit well with any of us from time to time and Brexit for most who support it, is no more than a process of reclaiming independence from a previous ideology of multinational cooperation within a closed group.
    In principle Brexit is no more racist than Scotland’s SNP wanting independence from England. I just don’t see a connection to racism, other than % population voting democratically. Racists don’t need an excuse or reason to air their views.

Our leader “Paul” is a self confessed Skinhead. Docs, shaved head. I’m sure he has been pigeonholed for his appearance too.

• I get pigeonholed as an elderly female person with white / grey hair. Sometimes I think I should get locks or dye my hair green and purple, but then I think it's their problem, not mine. If people don't want to be my friend because of what I look like, then I don't want to be their friend anyway.

As for being looked at. People do look. I look at people. Not judging, just interested. I speak to people as well, this does sometimes freak people out though.

Sometimes when people seem to be looking at you they are actually miles away, daydreaming, or on the phone, listening to music and their face just happens to be pointing at you. They're not looking at anything other than something internal.

Sometimes you walk in a room or get on a train and people laugh, could be tempting to think they're laughing at you, but most likely just read something funny or speaking on the phone and heard something funny.

At the end of the day who cares, you probably won't ever see that person again, and like I say, their attitude is their cross to bear, not mine.

• I don’t have mirrors around the place and often just throw on whatever is at hand, I very rarely consider what I look like or care even. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of myself in a shop security camera monitor or shop windows. I can either get paranoid or be happy at what I see. Fk me at my age I’m more than happy how well Ive worn. :D

• I often forget to brush or comb my hair because usually I have been blasted out of sleep by the dog who wants to go out and I chuck anything on (or sometimes just pyjamas and, yes, I did get caught out crossing the road one morning in my jammies when I forgot where I was and how busy it was...). It's not until much later and usually after I have been speaking to people that I remember I haven't even looked in the mirror. Oh well - it's what's inside that counts :)

• Slow down folks, your getting way deep, first big advantage of my autism is, am not that self aware that I give a flying fig what people think, backed up with a very varied and wide experience of life.

I am not refering to myself as being victimised, anyone daft enough to try that "Will get what they deserve, am no pacifist" (apology to those of you who are, happy to discuss that as seprate matter:reddevil:).

No the problem I have is listening to mainly white english, being racist when I have friends from many nationalitys, and object to inbred "not so good Yorkshire Folk" who dont even know a person of non white english, being disgustingly offensive. And believe me I was Born in North Yorks (Couldnt get out fast enough, but keep ending up back here. Go figure :D:D:D:pp:pp) and by far the majority are racist, Its the run with hare hunt with hounds mentality I HATE IT.

And they PRESUME cause I look like a Meathead, a handsome meathead mind you :D:D:reddevil: that I am one of them. They cant work it out that I AM NOT, and a smack in the gob usually offends.

I am told I see life very black and white no punn intended. But to be a good person you sometimes have to stand up and be counted away from the herd, again am lucky my autism has made me do that with not a lot of choice really HAHAHAHA it can be interesting. As my best mate says its never boring round me for long. And to all of you who thought the probs were personal and offered kind words of support THANKS for your kindness. I will save them up and pass them on. I give a good HUG so free to you all:):)

• nowt wrong with Yorkshire folk. And there’s rum‘Uns where ever we be.

In reference to the thread question, Do you think smacking a person in the gob sometimes if you don’t agree with their views/attitude or what they say, is what “makes a good person” ?
    Standing up and being counted is a attribute to being a good person in my view.

• Dear Rogue

We must be miles apart in what we see and hear, Brexit was a racist vote, by far the majority voted to stop freedom of movement on grounds they didnt want poles, czech or other european living in this septic isle, I heard it everywhere in my area. Flag waving monkeys who hate. I havent heard one good argument for brexit that wasnt built on nationalistic, racist hate, or just pure biggotted opinions.

• Dear Rogue

We must be miles apart in what we see and hear, Brexit was a racist vote, by far the majority voted to stop freedom of movement on grounds they didnt want poles, czech or other european living in this septic isle, I heard it everywhere in my area. Flag waving monkeys who hate. I havent heard one good argument for brexit that wasnt built on nationalistic, racist hate, or just pure biggotted opinions.

We must be. Of what little I know about it, autistic people see, hear and feel the world differently to other people.

I obviously do see/view Brexit differently to many. My feelings regarding Brexit are generally quite positive. I do not consider it racist, regardless of the casualties home or abroad. I’m not buying into this Orange man, white man, coloured man, muslim man, china man bad. We could start another thread “what makes a person bad” that could be interesting and probably easier to answer.

We have discussed, debated any merits of Brexit on this forum in several threads over the years. So I’ll try to keep your thread on topic, no offence.

• Dear Rogue

Do you by chance live in Royston Vasey?

• Do you by chance live in Royston Vasey?

Not Far Away LOL Totally agreed Rogue I dont think we will ever resolve the new B word :whistle::whistle::):). And you are 100% right Autistic people really do experience the world diffrently, not being diagnosed till later in life has should i say "Made it Interesting".

Going back to topic. Having had the benefit of living and working all over the world. The single human trait I noticed more than anything else is, the more money a human has the greedier, more materialistic, unkind, less charitable they become in relation to what they have. Example: Bill Gates does huge amounts of charity with his $, BUT would he give you 3 months of his earnings. I have seen a man in Africa with NOTHING by that standard, kill a goat which was equal to 3 months cash to him, because we were his guests, and you cant talk them out of it, living by a charitable standard we in the west dont want due to greed?????????????????????????????????????????

• I would like to kill this fuggin cockerel that wakes me up at silly o clock at the moment a symbolic death!

That made me laugh. My dad would often swear at the top of his voice, in his haste to get downstairs In the dark. He used to keep bantoms, and many mornings he would throw one of his wellies at our dyslexic crowing cockerel with the messed up internal clock.
    lasting impressions, way to dad x

• I would like to kill this fuggin cockerel that wakes me up at silly o clock at the moment a symbolic death!

Boris, am sorry dude the sound of a cockerel is music, due to being a nightowl I hear the dawn chorus most mornings starts with cockerel, actually sends me to sleep.