The Hippy Temptation. Stereotypical bollox.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• What gets me is the blind faith they had in “the spirit of LSD and this word Love” I bet those who are still alive today would cringe at seeing themselves on film. Amazing how many declare they don’t need money. I wonder how long that view lasted individually. :whistle:

• Yes, as I've said elsewhere, I didn't know many 'hippies' who didn't need money from somewhere, and it either involved selling stuff, waiting for the giro, busking here and there, or working when they had to.

Most of us over here were 'part-timers', liking the clothes and the friendliness and the festies, but no way could we live without money. Maybe most of those American 'hippies' at that time were drop-out students from wealthy middle-class backgrounds, living on a regular support cheque from home.

LSD was pretty crude stuff, from a medical point of view. Certainly there were many negative effects, some lasting, even from occasional use.

• Hippie to me suggests a state of mind. Gentle, peace loving, live and let live, rejection of making money for it's own sake, on the edge of mainstream life, appreciation of nature and rejection of profiteering.

Just be nice that's all.

• Hippie to me suggests a state of mind. Gentle, peace loving, live and let live, rejection of making money for it's own sake, on the edge of mainstream life, appreciation of nature and rejection of profiteering.

Just be nice that's all.

all the above.
    and excepting its “normal” to be naked in the woods on a sunny afternoon, pushing two beautiful naked women on a tree swing, without a care in the world. “Well perhaps two cares hopes.” I’m in love with the concept, the idea already.

• My best friend who passed away two ago, once told me how much he laughs, when world class footballers kiss the center spot at (old) Wembley Stadium. He reminisced about him being at Wembley to watch the Rolling Stones. He said, after every joint he smoked during the concert, he made his way to the center spot to nub out his joint. :D

• all the above.
    and excepting its “normal” to be naked in the woods on a sunny afternoon, pushing two beautiful naked women on a tree swing, without a care in the world. “Well perhaps two cares hopes.” I’m in love with the concept, the idea already.

Anyone who thinks it's okay to be naked in the woods CLEARLY isn't allergic to mozzie and midge bites. Lovely idea but in reality.....Ooooooooh NO!

• LSD was pretty crude stuff, from a medical point of view. Certainly there were many negative effects, some lasting, even from occasional use.

Nothing crude about LSD , quite a sophisticated means of transporting people to an alternative state of consciousness and a lot of medical people were dismayed when this useful tool was prohibited and taken away from them and their research and work had to stop.

• Very crude chemically, I'm afraid. A bit of a bludgeon. They were using something the effects of which upon the human system could not be predicted with any great degree of accuracy.

I'd agree that work should have continued into more closely examining something which may have been very useful in a more sophisticated form, but you must realise that the authorities did not want this.

They were probably afraid that if it went into widespread use, as common as tobacco smoking, the whole of society might experience a state of awakening. At the time they were running a big war that was profitable for a relatively few people, and they probably didn't want this. No more than they would want it now.

• Very crude chemically, I'm afraid. A bit of a bludgeon. They were using something the effects of which upon the human system could not be predicted with any great degree of accuracy.

This is true, unlike many of the shamanic type drugs used throughout history, inc a variety of fungi that many hippy’s in the UK resorted to taking , “after operation Orange” and subsequent scarcity of quality LSD and harsh punishments handed out to dealers/users of class A drugs.

• The explanation of why it is crude are in its unpredictable effects upon the human system, which have been subject to many tests. A sophisticated - what is called 'smart' today - drug will have predictable effects upon those using it, and its effects will vary with varying doses, so that what it is likely to do to the human system is medically predictable.

LSD by comparison is a bit of a chemical bludgeon, as already stated. Its effects vary greatly dependent not only on dosage, but also on individual reactions, individual surroundings, individual mental states prior to ingesting, and many other variables.

Many 'trips' were pleasant and even awakening, once the initial anxiety at the onset wears off.

Some were dangerous and people suffered accordingly. I have seen three grown men struggling to restrain someone on a bad trip, while a fourth tried to talk him down.

But there is also some risk that damage may be caused behind the scenes, of which everyone is unaware at the time. Not just 'flashbacks' - although these can be terrifying as their onset is completely unpredictable, and you can be anywhere when this happens - but damage to subtle nerve pathways we are only now beginning to understand.

Anyone who has taken psychedelics will know or experience the strange mental connections made even years afterwards between normally unrelated words, things, events, (some of which can be amusing and we make comments on to other people, who say 'You what?' and look at you strangely:)), and other mental connections about which it is wiser to keep quiet. If you've taken stuff, you'll know what I'm talking about.

New and sometimes odd neural pathways have been opened in the brain. Sometimes useful, sometimes not, and sometimes dangerous.