Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Today after an at least 300m queue ( 50m pre virus) in Tesco I found a lone jar of own brand tomato and chilli pesto, my favourite which I haven't seen for some weeks and as I snatched it of the shelf felt quite elated, like Gollum recovering the ring.

I wonder if panic buying has some sort of rush and will to some become an addiction.

Still no wholewheat spaghetti so jar will have to mature in van cupboard awaiting a partner.

• I ve started living on jacket spuds, very versatile little wasted in peeling etc, i got some off a farmer mate who dropped a bag off today,

I have em with butter, cheese, baked beans or to add bulk to a meal, easy simple cheap.

porridge on a morning, toast at dinner, and spuds with something for tea.

i ve worked out i can live for at least a month or perhaps 2 on this, if i could get the milk delivered id be sorted.

If i really calculated things i recon defo 3 months minimum food like half a tin of beans jacket spud porridge easy peasy.

• Laughed when I saw your potato post Prepper; we have baked spuds in their jackets at least three nights a week in Winter, sometimes four. They go with pretty well anything. As we have only a smallish flat, with the kitchen door open while they're cooking we don't need any heating on.....:D

• I've had people I didn't realise I was on such good terms with phoning to check I'm okay during my second 14-day round of isolation. On top of that the farmer's partner made a delicious lentil stew and some vegan ciabatti to cheer me up at the weekend which she left at the top of the bank near the boat. The farmer himself was worried that I may not have enough to read, but what was even more thoughtful was that he sent some books he thought would specially interest me. Anyone know these?
    "Rebels! Why Rebel And Risk All" by a local (Ely) sociologist, psychologist, criminologist and "psychonaut" Rod Read and

Tom Waits on Tom Waits.

I've just been out on my first day of what passes for freedom these days and replaced my very depleted food stocks. My daughter is coping well on her own and is feeling very happy with her achievements. She's able to work from home and she has just signed up for the Masters degree she's wanted to tackle for years. I've just had a run through some songs, one of which I may play at a virtual folk club this evening. I wrote out a tune that came into my head while I was putting the shopping away.

I'll admit I'm feeling fortunate.

• I've just been out on my first day of what passes for freedom these days and replaced my very depleted food stocks. My daughter is coping well on her own and is feeling very happy with her achievements. She's able to work from home and she has just signed up for the Masters degree she's wanted to tackle for years. I've just had a run through some songs, one of which I may play at a virtual folk club this evening. I wrote out a tune that came into my head while I was putting the shopping away.

I'll admit I'm feeling fortunate.

well done Derek. You did the isolation phase twice. Your the only person I know to have deliberately done that and you didn’t moan once. Respect.

• I’m glad you managed. To be honest I was in fear you would need a load of logs delivering and my knees been so inflamed I can’t depress clutch and drive or walk far. But If I was called to arms. I know I would be on the frontline with my chainsaw and axe.. your nearest neighbour might have one less Ash tree in their garden. But I wouldn’t live with the guilt of letting someone down in a crisis. The difference between me and you Derek. You want to prevent misery. I want to make the miserable comfortable. Only joking with you. That’s still ok isn’t it. :reddevil:

• My BFF's granddaughter has just given birth to her first child. It's such a special occassion because her waters broke a month ago at 22 weeks. She's held onto the pregnancy, with a lot of assistance from our wonderful NHS, against all the odds and got her baby to a relatively safe date. Still touch and go but we are all very, very hopeful. An extraordinary and wonderful day in the middle of so much mayhem.

• My BFF's granddaughter has just given birth to her first child. It's such a special occassion because her waters broke a month ago at 22 weeks. She's held onto the pregnancy, with a lot of assistance from our wonderful NHS, against all the odds and got her baby to a relatively safe date. Still touch and go but we are all very, very hopeful. An extraordinary and wonderful day in the middle of so much mayhem.

That is simply amazing and wonderful for all of you. With all the added stress, your daughter will have a right story to tell the child as they grow up.

• That is simply amazing and wonderful for all of you. With all the added stress, your daughter will have a right story to tell the child as they grow up.

Not my daughter Rogue Trader. My best friends granddaughter. But yes. It's an amazing day. A bright ray of sunshine in the middle of the doom and gloom.

• In our little row of live-in vehicles I have made three new friends, been given another bag of veg, offers of fetching water, shopping, anything else. I have started a WhatsApp group for us. A lovely woman (also van dweller) knocked on the door today to ask if I am okay, and can she do anything to help. The Council have been round and were pleasant - albeit useless. The sun is shining, it isn't raining. I have some work. I know where to get water. Amazing.

• Post by likahamadoolihan ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: Wrong section ().
  • Working in the garden again this afternoon; been making a garden box from pallets these last few days, just a couple of hours or so at a time. Looking in the Toolstation catalogue I find I have saved us at least £108, minus the cost of a handful of screws. And made a much stronger job of it, of course.

With the fine warm weather and the slow pace of the job, and a mug of tea when I want one, it's been like a holiday....:)

• From time to time in my life I have a little mental 'stock take' if you will, have a little dig around in my head - do I still think that way about that thing, is there anything I need to dump, or learn? This slowdown has given me time to really get on with this (as well as the obvious ongoing DIY from living in an old truck).

One thing I have learned is that I have lived in a state of stress for many many years and got used to / addicted to that adrenaline rush and that persona of 'Oh I'm so busy, I'm always busy'.

I worked for lawyers, so every day was a stressfest, commuting to work, whether by bicycle or train or a mixture of both, was a stressfest, my slightly Aspergic / Autistic brain means many things cause me stress (I call it 'jangling' because it's kind of a cross between going down fast in a lift and when someone scrapes the board rubber on the blackboard - yeeeow, stop doing that!). The Covid-19 thing has been stressful predominantly because of the lies the govt have fed us. Bad news I can deal with. Lies I find difficult. Last year I had a family issue which was uber stressful.

During this uber stressful family time a friend recommended a teacher for me to pass on, but in so doing I decided to investigate for myself. This is what led me to the realisation of my stress filled life (no wonder I have high blood pressure) and how to deal with it.

I am learning to meditate. It has been difficult to dismiss the never-ending rolling list in my head of Things To Do, but I have persevered, am persevering, and I have managed once or twice to achieve a state of trance.

The lockdown has allowed me the time to do this. It's an ill wind eh?

• Today I found another 20 horse shoes that I had been saving since 2,000/2001.

When I first met Julian the Gypsy at Trevstock. I commissioned him to make me a fire tripod. At the same time, I told him I also wanted a custom trivet set making out of my old horses horseshoes. Dragging a heavy hessian sack out of the back of my van at Trevstock, I showed him the huge pile of shire cross horse shoes, that I had been saving, a) to put back on the horse should he throw a shoe and b) to make a piece of fire furniture to remember the great years of being horsedrawn. I insisted Julian kept the horseshoes safe with him, thinking I could always email my design or even chat about it in another field sometime.

Julian made me the most amazing fire tripod and Some years later, I mentioned to Julian, I would now like to have my trivet made. “Time waits for no man” and I think most hippies buying his trivets back in 2009/10 were now the owners of my old horses shoes.

Not the end of the world, since I had owned horses for best part of 14 years, So still had just enough of my old horses shoes to commission the trivets I had designed. Well today I’ve found another 20 old shoes, some from my first horse, and some from the last two horses, that were hidden in the dust/muck and leaves, under a sack of scrap lead. Just where I left them 10 years ago. It’s a good day for remembering. I actually spotted them late last week. Seeing what looked like a few horse shoes tied together with bailer twine. I reached undernieth to drag them out. Seeing something inches away from my stretched out hand. I poised, was it a sweeping brush head? No it was a fat old hedgehog that had bedded down in the muck and leaves. I left it alone, but today it was no where to be seen, so I recovered those old horse shoes.