NHS / frontline workers and pay

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• As it says, one for our NHS folk from the peep who mops the hospital floor, delivers stuff, the docs, the nurses, carers, the army, scientists, the folks who are still working, prepping food, delivering, shop peeps, the volunteers, dustmen and many many more unsung heros who are doing their bit behind the scenes.

Please just smack a heart on here, (no negative comments, please save those for the other threads), just a positive thread for those who are risking infection to try and get us through this shitstorm. :peaceman:

I can't stay quiet Wulfie.

Im not criticising your intent. Saying a well deserved thankyou to essential workers is commendable.

Many essential workers would rather be under lock down but are compelled to expose themselves to heightened risk through financial need and are not being further compensated for this increased risk....nor it would seem is adaquete ppe available.

So for many it is not heroism but a kind of high risk slavery.

That's not so hard to see is it?

No need to censor the thread.

• I'm not working at all in my capacity as a registered nurse and I'm not going to be offering myself in sacrifice to covid 19. I'm out of funds and will take on even more debt to avoid working as a hospital nurse where social distancing is impossible and ppe and time is not available in between interactions with patients.

I note that supermarkets are moving to protect their staff. Aldi has cough screen around its checkouts and all are working to maintain social distancing.

Cant do that in the NHS and ppe and time to prep is not made available.

The Job is tough enough in relatively normal times. No thanks!

EDIT: A little overly assertive of me. I'm delaying as long as I can. Given the insistence on lock down and social distancing and the release of student nurses and prequalified doctors into the hospital environment I anticipate that more hands might make my work more safe...

Ppe rules should also change in light of enforced social distancing...

Testing nhs staff for immunity should also improve over the next few weeks

In the meantime front line workers are being mistreated as an exception to the safety rules and are not being compensated in line with capitalist ideals.

• Dunno Oldkeith... Although that is the kind of insulting boost in remuneration that would ring true.

I was informed that as an NHS bank worker under emergency covid 19 legislation I would receive abnormally high (equivalent to two weeks lost earnings) sick pay if required to self isolate (for 14bdays) if I had prebooked 2 weeks worth of shifts. The pre covid19 legislation would amount to ssp at maximum.

• It's not only about nurses.

All front line workers have been subjected to disproportionate loss of income and resource cuts since the last financial crisis.

And now these downtrodden and frequently abused public servants are being further ripped off by the community at large.

Next year when everyone is inoculated against Covid 19 and the banks have been paid off and landowners saved no one will give a flying fuck about the front line workers who have no choice but to touch people and get intimately close right now.

• Nhs workers (and other gvmt employed key workers) as of todays date will continue be denied use of ppe when required to work in close proximity to non symptomatic patients.(asymptomatic does not mean uninfected and the advice given by gvmt to the population at large is to maintain 2 metres distancing).

Users of public transport will continue to be denied ppe when forced to travel within the Ill informed 2 metre social distance.

If you are forced or coerced to do any of the above then join a union quicksmart so that you have a chance of being involved in any future lawsuits that might amount to an apology and possibly compensation.

• Still fuming here.

Businesses that can stay open are closing or finding new ways to work to reduce risk to employees.

NHS workers are still refused use of masks unless a patient has symptoms of coronavirus.

THIS IS UNEQUIVOCALLY NOT ACCEPTABLE WHEN SOCIAL DISTANCING IS IN FORCE FOR EVERYONE ELSE!

edit: this means that nhs staff are not allowed or permitted to wear masks when breaching the personal space of non symptomatic people. Gps might get away with breaking this enforcement. Hospital staff will not.

.... I am therefore clueless and consider it a disservice to my profession that elderly (at risk) retired health care workers and clinicians are putting themselves on the line without demanding ppe by contract... Its not heroism IT IS STUPIDITY!

• .... I am therefore clueless and consider it a disservice to my profession that elderly (at risk) retired health care workers and clinicians are putting themselves on the line without demanding ppe by contract... Its not heroism IT IS STUPIDITY!

Couldn't agree more.

Also imagine if one one them becomes a carrier but has no symptoms in that environment

• There seems to be a one rule for home workers/managers and another for site workers, its madness,

I am hearing tales of whats going on and its not fair at all.

how can workers suddenly magic up more transport/vans so they sit in one van each

imagine a site with say 40 people there, or more you d never have a place to park that many vans

and if they use trains to get to site how the fkk is that safe.

but the legal term is they have to follow "government guidelines,

• Apparently the powers that be decided to follow a theoretical model rather than follow practical advice from the medical profession world-wide.

So basically another monumental govt fuckup, but this time one that has cost lives, & is costing more lives each day. Meanwhile, life at the top of the tree goes on pretty much as usual. They dont care because they have the means to cushion themselves from harm, so just throw us under the bus....

We voted these people into power to look out for us, not to bleed us dry & trivialise our existance...😡

• There isn’t a Country in the world that hasn’t/isn’t enduring a major f**k up with something crucially obvious at the start of this outbreak. Terrible as it is that lives have been lost. However it’s lives from all levels of society.

We continue to base our hardship/losses on our ability to buy/supply our way through the virus crisis. If we could only see (fly on their wall) the largest % of the wealthy, whom have squirmed hourly, while watching all they have accumulated/ invested in/ worked for, dissolve before their very eyes and there’s still no end in sight.

Governments fk up frequently. They are only human and like most of us “assume someone has already sorted it.” At the ninth hour the fk ups are often picked up and resolved. Nothing like this has been dropped on our plates before. It’s the learning curve we have all failed to study for.

• I just wish i really wish everyone had the clout, finance , self worth and thought, to be able to say sod you,

I am not coming to work,

If they must go to work, they need like all factors the right ppe,

couldnt dividing screens be fitted in vans to divide the workmen up ie two workers per van= social distancing and a perspex screen between,

Vans have to be cleaned before and after work,

and as for public transport where do you start with that?

Apparently i ve heard that company mini buses now are out (provided by companies)

so the loophole will be public transport and using vans, that way its not the companies fault.

They will just tell the workers to follow government guidelines.

Imagine your a subbie, two employees on for you neither own a car or can drive, what do you do tell them to get the train,

or risk it and fill your van

I am guessing a lot of employees will be riding in the back of vans

i can i saved for years, but it could dissapear if ive not done my sums right and a big tax bill to pay.

• There isn’t a Country in the world that hasn’t/isn’t enduring a major f**k up with something crucially obvious at the start of this outbreak. Terrible as it is that lives have been lost. However it’s lives from all levels of society.

We continue to base our hardship/losses on our ability to buy/supply our way through the virus crisis. If we could only see (fly on their wall) the largest % of the wealthy, whom have squirmed hourly, while watching all they have accumulated/ invested in/ worked for, dissolve before their very eyes and there’s still no end in sight.

Governments fk up frequently. They are only human and like most of us “assume someone has already sorted it.” At the ninth hour the fk ups are often picked up and resolved. Nothing like this has been dropped on our plates before. It’s the learning curve we have all failed to study for.

Dunno about lives lost at all levels mate, havent noticed any mps/royalty falling to it yet, or anyone particularly well heeled either....

• Dunno about lives lost at all levels mate, havent noticed any mps/royalty falling to it yet, or anyone particularly well heeled either....

plenty of doctors. If that’s not “high up enough” if it’s a % game, we don’t have that many royals, etc. we have had a few MP’s and celebs go down with it, but they survived, much like the millions who have had it and didn’t realise.. :)

• Yup. Much in agreement. I'd like to see much more info about key workers and essential workers forced or coerced into working in close proximity without prophylactic ppe.

I don't look around much when I'm driving but did notice a couple of workers carrying a paving slab between them without masks and I am increasingly angered to see shop workers without masks.

Not sure my fragile sanity can take much more of this bullshit.

Gove or whatever cunt it was again today expressed real concern and commitment to the health and safety of NHS workers but the guidelines him and his govmt ok'd still do not permit the use of masks when caring for non symptomatic pts or generally mixing with other staff where 2m distance cannot be maintained.

• A friend of ours who works in a warehouse has been told he must continue to work, as their work has been classified as 'essential'. What do the company deal in ?

Fashion clothes.

Can companies buy this 'essential' classification? What sort of case do they have to make for being essential? If any?

• I wish I'd stopped and filmed the 2 workers with the paving slab and called the police to see what would happen.

Oldkeith my understanding so far is that the police do have the power to close down non essential businesses and disperse groups but do not have lawful power to enforce actual social distancing.

Report the warehouse to the police I guess and your friend should probably wear a bodycam to record transgressions and join a union(if not already a union member).

• I neglected to add that your warehouse worker mate should email their boss and the health and safety executive with any concerns and ask for solutions from mgmt and suggest solutions to the Hse.

I'm given to understand that bosses are to some degree responsive to emailed concerns at this time.