An odd thing happened last night

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I was out on the Downs walking my dog, in the dark, as I have done in various parts of the country for 25 years, just walking along as usual enjoying the relative quiet and I like being out in the dark.

Anyway, suddenly Dot dogs, looks ahead, rigid with fear (she is afraid of other non-Greyhound dogs), races past me, stopping to look back, obviously terrified. I can see a dark shape, it's making odd noises, but I'm thinking it's just someone else walking, or maybe drunk or singing (?). At that point I wasn't particularly bothered. However I couldn't calm my dog down, there was no way she was continuing the walk. So I got freaked out. We scurried back to the road where there are street lights, she looking back still obviously terrified. Walked back to the truck all under street lights dog still frightened. Got back safe but wow, that was wierd.

• It was a big outline, street lights behind me, Downs and sea behind whatever it was. Big like a grown person with many clothes on so head, waist, arms, legs all indistinguishable. Fox, Badger, deer, cat - dog would have tried to chase it (I do not allow this). I do occasionally meet others out at night, we usually give one another a wide berth and a nod and go on our ways.

Bah, probably just some students messing around. (Although Dot is not at all afraid of people). But tonight I will take my walking stick...

• One thing I always carry with me when its dark is a good torch , helps avoid stepping in or kicking dog turds , hedgehogs ,incumbant hippies etc whilst also avoiding ankle turning divots ... , said torch does not need to be big (pocket size is fine) but I highly reccomend a 'cree' led type , dimmest setting on wide beam for walking , brightest setting and focused for longer distances and up close if threatened , apart from dazzling and temporary blinding they have a nicely sharpened correlated front edge.I charge my torch batteries via a small USB charger plugged into my solar controller, so always got 2 or 3 charged .

• One thing I always carry with me when its dark is a good torch , helps avoid stepping in or kicking dog turds , hedgehogs ,incumbant hippies etc whilst also avoiding ankle turning divots ... , said torch does not need to be big (pocket size is fine) but I highly reccomend a 'cree' led type , dimmest setting on wide beam for walking , brightest setting and focused for longer distances and up close if threatened , apart from dazzling and temporary blinding they have a nicely sharpened correlated front edge.I charge my torch batteries via a small USB charger plugged into my solar controller, so always got 2 or 3 charged .

Good call, I usually have a fairly dim light just so I can see to pick up her poop. I keep it off most of the time because your eyes become accustomed to the dark and I love being out in the dark, often the wind seems warmer, like velvet. But I do have a very powerful light that I use for night riding. I will make sure it's charged up.

• Lets face it could have been anything or anyone, either an animal,

tales of big cats out years ago, escaped from zoo.

or something simple like a fox,

or someone else, squaddie or sas on training manouvers or dog picked up on something, or dog picked up on you sensing something if you seem scared sometimes dogs pick up on this either they defend you or if there timid they get scared themselves.

Or just someone hiding, either way have a big stick with you just in case