Could the price of used motorhomes/campervans be spiralling downwards

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Yesterday I pulled over to ask about some firewood and kingspan offcuts in a skip. The adjacent property neighbour was in the garden and I got talking to him about his vintage Minnie Winnie Winnebago RV parked out front. He told me its sat there 3 years and in need of a clutch +TLC.
    He said he advised it on eBay several years ago for £4K to £5k but needing a low loader to shift, it didn’t sell. He said he would now let it go for a grand.

Today I drove by a tidy Tolbert motorhome parked on the grass verge with a £1200 for sale sign in the windscreen. Does this mean folk are skint and or worried the camping scene is dead for this year and owners want shut?

• This is the time of year the occasional weekenders think of looking for something for the summer; but it looks like they won't be doing much of that this year, so I guess motorhomes, tents of all kinds, and all sorts of camping gear will also be affected.

Even caravan and chalet holidays - cross half the country to sit inside all day, and pay for it?

• Tell them Stay home it only takes one to be carrying the virus, and you have a mini hotspot in your field, they have to go to shops, use a tap, get rid of sewerage somewhere, some might have dogs which might spread it about, gates, cash etc etc,

You might inadvertantly put yourself in danger as well, then nhs has to come to your field logistical issues, and you d maybe be frowned on.

• Tell them Stay home it only takes one to be carrying the virus, and you have a mini hotspot in your field, they have to go to shops, use a tap, get rid of sewerage somewhere, some might have dogs which might spread it about, gates, cash etc etc,

You might inadvertantly put yourself in danger as well, then nhs has to come to your field logistical issues, and you d maybe be frowned on.

one client could be a carrier, your right. But I’m only talking about one client per stay period. 5 acres of grass is a huge area and if the one person on the field is the only one. if they have a method to draw water with minimal contact, say a can of disinfectant spray next to the tap. A few pairs of disposable gloves for tap usage. I dare say leaving a few days between clients to allow virus to dissipate/die. I don’t even have to meet them in person. It could all be done over the internet. Anyway. I’m wasting valuable time as it’s not going to happen. But I’ve never been told to stay at home indefinitely before and can imagine some City folk locked away on the fourth floor of a skyscraper will be dreaming of a safe place, away from others that they could safely put up their tent or motorhome right now and just how much £££ value they would place on that ”dream” :D

• Big discussion about this over on another forum, everyone advised to go home & most areas are most unwelcoming to motorhomes just now. The conversation is getting very heated too, most members saying you should all go home & stay there. Non essential travel is now illegal, tho to see the main road outside my flat you'd never know it.

Not much sympathy over the other forum for any fulltimers caught out with nowhere to park up, I can see it being an issue for some...

A few pubs that have had to close are offering carpark space to full time van dwellers in return for a bit of takeaway trade for the pub.... Coupled with poor advice & management from the top the situation is a bit of a nobache just now.

To be fair to the govt the situation we are in is new to us all, govt included so everyone is learning as they go.

• Big discussion about this over on another forum, everyone advised to go home & most areas are most unwelcoming to motorhomes just now. The conversation is getting very heated too, most members saying you should all go home & stay there. Non essential travel is now illegal, tho to see the main road outside my flat you'd never know it.

Not much sympathy over the other forum for any fulltimers caught out with nowhere to park up, I can see it being an issue for some...

A few pubs that have had to close are offering carpark space to full time van dwellers in return for a bit of takeaway trade for the pub.... Coupled with poor advice & management from the top the situation is a bit of a nobache just now.

To be fair to the govt the situation we are in is new to us all, govt included so everyone is learning as they go.

yes I can imagine. One the news today, those living on campsites have now been told by gov they can stay there, after many long stayers 8 years plus, we’re told to leave by 7pm the other night.

I wanted the land for emergencies. Thinking if the horse went lame or we needed to maintain the wagon etc having a safe park up was a god send.

• pity you dont have an old grey fergie, you could plough out plant some spuds, and veg and other staples to see you through and possibly if you had spare you d either sell trade, or help those near you,

Ive still got sod all done, i am deep cleaning, well not deep enough,, just cleaning i guess, to dig my garden would take a shovel made of titanium.

• pity you dont have an old grey fergie, you could plough out plant some spuds, and veg and other staples to see you through and possibly if you had spare you d either sell trade, or help those near you,

Ive still got sod all done, i am deep cleaning, well not deep enough,, just cleaning i guess, to dig my garden would take a shovel made of titanium.

I’ve got my Massey Ferguson 65 tractor. I’ve had it 24 years. Grounds really wet still. Even moving a light van across it often result in the tractor needed to move it further or remove it. I’ve got neighbours with horses wanting it for grazing as self isolators can’t attend their animals. Luckily their a tight nit bunch so look out for each other.

• no doubt prices will rise again “oneday” however, from what transpired with the outright hatred and hostilities shown to van dwellers this last week. I think the tiny home/van dwelling dreamers may think twice in future. So much for owning a bug out vehicle with so many NIMBY’s in the UK.

• I don’t think the gov had any play in this outburst. More the mentality of our own UK citizens. Their argument “stay put, in the area you roam/live, DONT deplete our resources at a time of need.) Example~ So say half a dozen individuals (Ash Pollard and friends)

self isolate and travel from England to Scotland in say 4 vehicles, to bug out off grid, self sufficient enough to last 8 weeks. Park up on FC (crown land) only to be trolled by a Irish women on Twitter/fb. Who herself just happens to drive around Scotland in a Campervan while blogging about it in her spare time.

look at the comments left.

She stirs up all this hatred towards these individuals, until they are so fearful of the threats received online, they have to risk further exposure during a lockdown and drive back into England. Where’s the trade off? The compromise? Some reside, stay, bug out, lockdown in a England, while some of us hide out, bug out in Scotland. We can rely on each other’s system resources during that time surely. In defence of the good people of Scotland, England,Ireland and van dwellers this particular troll was outed online a) for not being a native herself b) for turning public opinion against van dwellers.

we didn’t need government intervention to divide us this time “We” managed to do that all by ourselves.

Our Government first recommenced/suggested getting out and about in the countryside. Maintaining a “safe personal distance” county homes, LA parks even removed entry fees to encourage public use. Then movement restrictions were imposed because although these places of interest where becoming very popular, folk just wouldn’t keep their distance. Fears rose, mainly generated from NIMBY’s and the general public did the rest.

It has set precedent for potential future bug outs at a time of need. Stay put, lock up, load up and aim straight. Your not local, your not welcome around here.

• RT, that is where the govt box clever - they don't encourage, but they don't discourage either so when the media is repeating one-sided, ill-researched items the govt could make a statement setting things straight, but they don't, they leave us to bicker (when I say us, I mean the general population). Divide and conquer, it's as old as time but still works as well as the day it was first used.

I'm hoping I'm going to be okay, I'm hopeful, I've been in Brighton for a while, well before any distancing, and the cops have seen me many times. So far so good. There are other live in vehicles here so although we can't make friends or visit it does feel a bit like a community. The man on the end is deaf and Scottish - this makes communication (hilariously) difficult. We stand many meters apart - he can't hear what I'm saying and I can hear him but can't make out the words!

I just nod and wave now as I scurry past.