NEED a JOB? Nomadic, ready to travel? Available for Work?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• just Been sent this........

Coronavirus: Urgent appeal for Brits to work on farms

Johann Tasker20 March 2020

© Mint Images/REX/Shutterstock© Mint Images/REX/Shutterstock

Industry leaders have issued an urgent plea for British people to work on farms and help feed the nation amid a burgeoning labour shortage due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Some 70,000 seasonal workers are usually required annually on British farms – with many coming from overseas. But travel restrictions and tighter border controls are having a significant effect on the number of people able to travel to the UK.

With the soft fruit harvest due to get fully under way next month, labour provider Hops Labour Solutions said seasonal workers were urgently needed to help pick and process fruit and vegetables on farms and in packhouses.

It has launched a new scheme with the National Federation of Young Farmers’ Clubs, encouraging people to apply for jobs on farms. Please note, this website may not be working due to excessive traffic, if so please try again later. Alternatively, you can contact Hops Labour Solutions on +44 (0)2476 698 000.

See also: Coronavirus: How financial support package will help farmers

Farm jobs could provide an income for students, job seekers and anyone who had been laid off work due to the impact of coronavirus.

More organisations looking for farmworkers

The following two recruitment agencies piloted the government’s seasonal workers scheme and are looking for staff:

The following industry organisation, which represents 98% of soft fruit growers is also looking for workers to help harvest crops and get fresh fruit and vegetables to the public:

Hops operations director Sarah Boparan said: “We urgently need a UK labour force which can help harvest crops to feed the nation.”

• Soft fruit is more of a luxury food than a staple but the veg is needed and bottom line, whoever goes for it will be communal living several to a bunkhouse or caravan or if by the day, bussed in by gangmasters which either way opens the question of infection spread.

It only takes one which makes it a tough call.

• Agricultural Minimum Wage

Grades 1 to 6

If a worker’s contract says they should work 39 hours a week (not including overtime) they must be paid the weekly rate, otherwise they must be paid the hourly rate.

Grade of worker Weekly pay Hourly pay Hourly overtime
    Grade 1 (compulsory school age) n/a £3.11 £4.67
    Grade 1 (above compulsory school age) £242.19 £6.21 £9.32
    Grade 2 £271.44 £6.96 £10.44
    Grade 3 £298.74 £7.66 £11.49
    Grade 4 £320.19 £8.21 £12.32
    Grade 5 £339.30 £8.70 £13.05
    Grade 6 £366.60 £9.40 £14.10

Full-time and part-time flexible workers

Flexible workers must be paid at least the weekly rate if they are full-time, or at least the hourly rate if they are part-time.

Grade of worker Days per week Hourly pay Weekly pay Hourly overtime
    Grade 1 4 to 5 £6.52 £254.28 £9.32
    6 £6.64 £258.96 £9.32
    Grade 2 4 to 5 £7.31 £285.09 £10.44
    6 £7.45 £290.55 £10.44
    Grade 3 4 to 5 £8.04 £313.56 £11.49
    6 £8.20 £319.80 £11.49
    Grade 4 4 to 5 £8.62 £336.18 £12.32
    6 £8.78 £342.42 £12.32
    Grade 5 4 to 5 £9.14 £356.46 £13.05
    6 £9.31 £363.09 £13.05
    Grade 6 4 to 5 £9.87 £384.93 £14.10
    6 £10.06 £392.34 £14.10

Apprentices

For years 3 and above, apprentices must receive at least the rate for Grade 2 workers.

Year Age Weekly pay Hourly pay Hourly overtime
    1 Any £139.23 £3.57 £5.36
    2 16 to 17 £145.08 £3.72 £5.52
    2 18 to 20 £196.17 £5.03 £7.47
    2 21+ £246.09 £6.31 £9.29

Trainees

A trainee does not have to be paid for:

• the hours they’re being trained
    • holidays

They should be paid for any work done as part of a separate contract.

Training courses

If an employed worker is on a training course, they should be paid at least their normal wage - including for the time spent travelling to and from the training.

Overtime

Overtime must be paid if a person works:

• more than 39 basic hours in a week
    • more than 8 hours in a day
    • any hours over the normal working hours in the employment contract
    • on a public or bank holiday
    • on a Sunday - if the contract started before 1 October 2006

• Grades

An agricultural worker’s grade is based on their skills and responsibilities.

Grade 1 - initial grade

A grade 1 worker is usually supervised and works on simple tasks like harvesting or packing.

They have the right to be trained to become a grade 2 worker once they’ve worked for the same employer continuously for 30 weeks.

Grade 2 - standard worker

Someone is a grade 2 worker if they have one of the following:

• a vocational qualification of at least NVQ at level 2
    • a certificate of competence for the agricultural sector they work in

Someone is also a grade 2 worker if they:

• work mainly unsupervised
    • work with animals
    • use powered machinery
    • drive a tractor

Grade 3 - lead worker

If someone has worked in agriculture for at least 2 of the past 5 years, they’re a grade 3 worker if they have either:

• a National Certificate in agriculture or horticulture
    • 4 certificates of competence or non-accredited competencies, for the agricultural sector they work in

Someone is also a grade 3 worker if

• they manage a team - but not discipline team members
    • their employer views them as a grade 3 team leader and they’ve completed a one month (maximum) trial period

Grade 4 - craft grade

Someone is a grade 4 worker if they have:

• an NVQ level 3 vocational qualification
    • 8 certificates of competence for the agricultural sector they work in

They should also have:

• worked for the same employer continuously for 12 months since getting this qualification
    • worked in agriculture for at least 2 of the past 5 years

There are other qualifications for grade 4 - you can get more help and advice.

Grade 5 - supervisory grade

A grade 5 worker is responsible for either:

• supervising work on a farm on a daily basis
    • instructing, supervising and disciplining staff

Grade 6 - farm management grade

A grade 6 worker has either:

• management responsibility for a farm - or part of a farm if it’s run as a separate business
    • responsibility for employing, disciplining and dismissing staff
  • Thankfully it is business as usual for me in my harness work. Have checked suppliers and have what I need in stock for all of my orders over the next 6-8 months. Mmm, if this hits fuel and that gets rationed, horses are awlays in the side lines ready to go, I know just about all the people in the land who own and work plough / field work / road delivery capable heavy horses. Over the years I have kept a safety net going so if I didnt have any paid work for a year I'd survive without work, I deserve some time off so would sit back and potter and stay safe but I would aslo quite happily go do a couple of days a week picking/field work in exchange for a park up and a supply of veg