Simple pleasures

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Good afternoon everyone I have for many years loved the saying ' enjoy the simple things in life as one day you will get old and realise that these were the big things ".

With this in mind and me being a person who tries to profit from the maximum of simple pleasures every day as I can,I invite you to share the simple pleaures that you enjoy in your life with the aim of helping others realise what the important things really are as well as affirming your thoughts to your good selves.

A couple of simple pleasures that I have had the pleasure of experiencing today have been a nice walk in a large forest with all the smells,sounds and visuals that go with it. After that I shared a couple of drinks with friends on the side of a white water river in a tranquil and happy setting.

I could carry on listing positive and simple pleasures for a while yet just on todays experiences,but invite you lovely hippies to step in and share with us your experiences of today as many take these simple pleasures for granted.

Every day is a gift and if you have got the health to do something that pleases you then I recommend that you do it whilst you can as you do not know what tomorrow may bring.

I look forward to reading about what simple pleasures you take from life that mean lots to you.

Love and light to all.

fly xxxx

• getting home from a weekend away and having a pot of homemade,garlicy tomato soup waiting for me on the woodburner...seeing my kids and grand kids this weekend and helping them all out in small ways..

• Settling down in a nice warm bed (electric blanket warmed) on a cold wet night. (Grand to relax in if you have a bit of a backache).

Making - and eating! - delicious meals from our last orange gourd that has been lurking in the kitchen for months; the last of several we grew and stored through the Autumn, and ate some over Yule. Yes, we have been saving seeds for the coming year.....:)

• Hot bath where I can submerge best part of (all) my body in really hot water and relax. The first stage of emersion when Im wondering if it’s possibly just too hot and may cause superficial injuries. After ten minutes or so of sitting in the hot water, legs outstretched and submerged. Then the first bucket of hotwater that I pour over my head and the intense pleasure rush I get as the hotwater covers my shoulders and runs down my back. Simply pleasurable :)

• The simple pleasures are the best pleasures as they can happen on a daily basis with little effort amd little to no cost. I thrive on these. More importantly and on a deeper level it has a very positive effct in the brain. Dopemine. Dopamine is the pleasure and reward trigger we get when we indulge or experience the simple pleaures, this has a very positive effect on a humans state of mind, hence the chilling out and peasurable effect we experience. I am a master of my simple pleasures and I feel they are a necceassary part of daily life to help us through. There are positive ways to get a dopamine hit and sadly negative ways, in modern life the way it is, people have fallen into the trap of false negative means of dopamine hits, eating too much and the wrong things, heavy food snackers, also constant social media activity, getting likes and attention in social media is now know to be giving people dopamine hits, gaining dopmaine pleasure/reward hits is addicitive and people fall into ways of getting this hit which has a negative effect on them.

The one for me on a daily basis is when I have finished for the day in my workshop is to lock up then this is my simple pleasure, I will make my self a little single skinner smoke, put the phone on silent, lock my truck door then I get on the couch with the current book I am reading and will have at least an hour's read. This daily time of having this read session is something I so look forward to this time and feel I need it to wind down, rather I have learnt how relaxing and refreshing this is for me, it shut's the brain chatter off and just be on my own with no human interaction.

Also this wind down reading session for me as it goes is more than just a simple pleasure, it works in conjunction with the natural circadian rhythm's I live by, it starts the process of going down with the sun to still the mind and body ready for night time mode. When you live in a more natural environment the circadian rhythm has an important role to play as the brain detects the rise and fall of the natural light and it puts the mind and body into light and dark mode and it regulates the bodies functions according to time of day and night. Living by this I get a natural sense of tiredness and the need to sleep at night and when the brain detects light is going down it regulates the body to go into this night time mode, I really feel the sleepy relaxed mode when this happens, then when you go to bed to sleep the body then goes into a natural repair mode where cells are replaced, the liver is working doing detox and red blood cells are boosted.

A couple of days ago beofre the wind got up, out the back in the field behind where I am is a haven for sky larks, there were 3 sky larks hovering low and giving it their all in their song, oh mate such a simple pleasure to stand there with no brain chatter, just soaking up the song of the sky lark, a pure simple pleasure.

• Settling down in a nice warm bed (electric blanket warmed) on a cold wet night. (Grand to relax in if you have a bit of a backache).

Making - and eating! - delicious meals from our last orange gourd that has been lurking in the kitchen for months; the last of several we grew and stored through the Autumn, and ate some over Yule. Yes, we have been saving seeds for the coming year.....:)

Indeed nurturing on a cold and wet day or night especially in front of the fire with a good book and something nice to drink and snack on is great.

• I just got into making my own soda bread , experimenting with different milk types etc. The big buzz for me is when i take my 3 loaf tins out of the oven & 3 lovely loaves of bread just fall out into my hand! Knowing whats in it is great & the first, still warm crust covered in Lurpak butter always makes me smile.....😁

• Yes, Bigbear, that's one of my simple pleasures too - breadmaking. (And eating it ! ).

Usually make wholewheat, sometimes with about 15% Spelt flour, which gives a delicious nutty flavour, or sometimes with rye, which gives a heavier, moist loaf. We buy shop w/w bread sometimes, but there's nowt so good as making your own, even if you are only using up the bits of flour left in different bags; it still tastes good !. Occasionally do a white (French flour is very nice) but quite a lot of kneading is necessary compared with wholemeal, which is heavier to start with.

Bread is great to make, providing you have time, and the reward of tucking into that first warm slice is oh-so-good !

(Bread-making machine, what's that then?).:)

• As kids returning home on a winters Sunday evening and smelling home baked bread on opening the front door will always be a happy memory for me. The bliss of eating warm bread with real butter was only shattered by the words from mum “you can get bathed after that, ready for school.”

• work i somtimes zone at at work imursed in a yen like status, thinking of better ways to do things, almost like a massive jigsaw puzzle, planning, prioratising, jobs, instead of getting stressed like i used to i now often put my ear muffs on it deadens the noise i am sure i dont get as stressed as i used to or if i do i kind of zone out, it weird but it works.

dew on bare feet on an early morning in summer,

swimming in cold water i liken it to eating a really hot chilli its kind of crazy but addictive,

• A simple pleasure is climbing in to a newly made bed. One with freshly laundered, line dried linen or Cotten sheets, traditional blankets, down pillows. When the sheets are tight to the mattress and spreading arms and legs out like a starfish in search of further skin stimulation. :)

• Whoop whoop I can post. A simple pleasure maybe.

I was gonna say setting fire to and generally smashing or breaking things where appropriate but the conversation has moved on.

Definitely a good shit is a thing and especially so for men.

Orgasm is of course great but might differ somewhat from the simple pleasure of bashing out ejaculate.

A dash of weed and some visual stimulation might lead to an unassisted male orgasm but I don't know if that qualifies as a simple pleasure?

• Well I can confirm as well a good shit is a simple and neccessary pleasure as have just sat down with my coffee after a good healthy dump. The feeling of the lower gut deflating upoin exit aaaaahhhhhhhhhh, then walking back to truck a minute ago the moon is just hanging in the sky in a gorgeous glowing waning crescent so spent a few minutes counting the blessings, am fit and healthy got a good life going on, deeply love my work, when you can feel your eyes sparkling and your rolling on a natural happy high and you find yourself giggling and chuckling to yourself in a yeah man kind of way because you can feel the realness of feeling alive coursing through your veins, thats what I strive for in life and it's 6.30 AM on a winters morning, no amount of money or goods and chattels can provide that and to top it off a blackbird has now started it's morning song :D:D:D

• I get the “eyes wide open” moments wiz. I often watch sunrise and on the occasional moments, (dawn, day, dusk and night) natural high visual reminders of why it’s good to be alive. We get so tied up with day to day existing that we often live in a daze and don’t see the wood for the trees.
    My mate used to wake at 4am every day. He always said “he was afraid of missing something.” I put it down to him being afraid of shitting the bed. Kidding

Another simple pleasure for some is poking objects inside the ear canal, in a sudo attempt to clean the sound tunnel. But it can be a case of “if a bit itches scratch it“ which is also a simple pleasure in its own right.

• I get the “eyes wide open” moments wiz. I often watch sunrise and on the occasional moments, (dawn, day, dusk and night) natural high visual reminders of why it’s good to be alive. We get so tied up with day to day existing that we often live in a daze and don’t see the wood for the trees.
    My mate used to wake at 4am every day. He always said “he was afraid of missing something.” I put it down to him being afraid of shitting the bed. Kidding

Another simple pleasure for some is poking objects inside the ear canal, in a sudo attempt to clean the sound tunnel. But it can be a case of “if a bit itches scratch it“ which is also a simple pleasure in its own right.

Much like your friend,I am also an early riser for that very same reason. Life is short enoughas it is,so an extra couple of hours every day can make quite a difference over time to how much one gets to do in life.

Same attitude with the rain normally and happily go out in it with the correct clothes on.

Had a bit of a cold the last few days so have stayed in by the fire,but in all honesty it has been nice to have a break from the constant living life to the full. Must be getting old but definately appreciated having the cold so that I had to slow down for a while.

I have been enjoying a good book over this time and been enjoying a great series in the evening and feel better for the rest,so view the cold as something positive.

However,it has nearly gone now :-)

Enjoying one of the lovely simple pleasure in france at the mo and am sat in a bar with a good black coffee and a pain au chocolate with the lovely ambiance that a good french bar offers for the folk out doing their morning jobs.

• The conclusion of a successful piece of work whether it's mechanical, musical or artistic. All of the above that's been posted too!

Now, I'm sitting in front of the log burner, cat on my lap and we are listening to Tuba Skinny in the background whilst drinking milky, real coffee and listening to the rain and wind battering the windows.

Shear bliss!

• Yes, there is something pleasingly primeval almost, about being under good shelter and in the warm when a storm is raging outside. I often think something like 'Thank Fug (Old Celtic God) I'm inside, in the warm'. And you cannot help but think of those poor devils who are outside, and who aren't in the warm....

Another simple pleasure is getting up early on the weekend, making a pot of tea, and bringing a mug or two back to bed, to sip in the delicious warmth! (I always do one for the O/H, of course!).