Coronavirus

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Amazing how the Ex Pats are wanting to come home and expecting the UK to jump at their request and whining that we're doing naught.

Australia are fetching theirs back and putting them on Christmas Island in quarrantine for a fortnight which sounds sensible which begs the question, how serious is the bug really.

I daresay our lot will just be brought back and sent home and be told to stay indoors........

• I daresay our lot will just be brought back and sent home and be told to stay indoors........

Worse than that , guy just been on bbc news says they will fly him back but he will have to find his own way home (thats gonna be an interesting conversation for the taxi-driver),where they advise him to stay inside for 2 weeks , the guy has refused his place because of the lack of proper quarantine measures.

• Nothing or no one or some external force has bought this upon the human race to thin us out, as fanciful and er sensible as it might be, it's down to the lack oif hygeine and eating foods form filthy markets and eating animals that carry the disease, self inflicted I'm afraid, sorry conspiracy theorists. Coronovirus has been well known in dogs for a long while and as they eat dogs and given their lack of food hygiene it's no wonder something like this would happen.

Like me, many who would think yep, thin the global population, to say that you have to be prepared to be thinned out, it's no good saying thin others but not me, so I will ask myself would I be prepared and willing to be thinned/culled for the future of the planet. probably not willingly. Human instinct for survival is far stronger than that.

• I was pleased to see front line health care workers in Hong Kong proposing to strike in response.

For many years I've been telling my nursing colleagues that they are taken the piss out of simply by virtue of being in a female profession:-

https://www.theguardian.com/so…d-women-inequality-change

Good timing!

About time nurses were paid danger/risk stipends imo.... Given their high level of exposure to such risks as new strains of flu.

As for the idea that nature will thin the crowd somehow it does appear to be misguided. On the whole humankind has managed to prevail and continually shaft lesser mortals..... Despite the pain and fight and misery humanity continues to spew new offspring in search of meaning and comfort.

• " I was pleased to see front line health care workers in Hong Kong proposing to strike in response. "

That sounds too bloody french for my liking [panic]

• The virus has now spread across the whole of China according to this mornings news.

The UK is pretty well up on healthcare but if the virus does touch all corners of the globe as well as mutating then the third world is likely to be hit the hardest.

We seriously need to know more actual facts on how serious the bug is and not rely on massaged misinformation. China panicking and rushing to build two giant hospitals does not bode well.

• There is talk that it is bio-weapon that the chineese were developing to use on the USA, but it got released in their own backyard ...... And to be honest that wouldnt suprise me.

No offence meant to you Dave,but it sounds to me like the conspiracy spin doctors have started playing their part !!!

• " I was pleased to see front line health care workers in Hong Kong proposing to strike in response. "

That sounds too bloody french for my liking [panic]

Errm OK:-

I don't for a single minute imagine that you would continue to work on a priced job if the workload was increased beyond reasonable expectation without commensurate compensation...

I had options to take a degree pathway in alternative professions but nursing offered promises that have not been honoured.

I choose to withdraw my labour and respect my colleagues who do similarly in reaction to the overload.

• I choose to withdraw my labour and respect my colleagues who do similarly in reaction to the overload.

in days of old it was the case. Now folk think of themselves and the effects any action taken in support of others might have on the fragile existence couples deem important. Loosing a home through mortgage default, divorce, etc. and feeling solidarity in work disputes will not be reciprocated. When the SHTF we have the governor by the short and curlies until we let go.

I will pay for the 12 months on strike till the day I die and there’s no going back.

• Just what are they hiding???????? After this latest WTF announcement I'm wondering who is actually telling the truth, if anyone?

From BBC.............

• They've since said that the measures were brought in after one peep who'd been brought back from China and been contracted to stay inside for a fortnight was looking to do a runner.

Still begs the question of what we're looking at. Chinese and our nurses suited and booted does tend to look rather heavy but.........

Like you doc, got shot lungs but it's all the roll of the dice especially as the bugs passable before symptoms present themselves.

• Eek! The health centre that has been closed is right where I park up when I'm not at the caravan club site - and I go in the Asda right next to it too.

Now I don't know... is the news being watered down and it isn't really as bad as all that and I should stay in Brighton and just make sure I wash my hands etc OR this thing is much worse than we are being led to believe and I should drive off to somewhere remote until this blows over.

Bugger, I really really like Brighton and was planning to be around for some time. Bugger.

• Mmm, it is odd.

The Beeb (Radio 4) has been on about 'How to wash your hands properly' for the last couple of days, they even have a doctor demonstrating how to do this online, and you can probably even download the podcast... Never known them do this before...

The Beeb is the (unofficial) government propaganda unit, so make of this what you will.

• Two UK doctors have got it too and

A school in Southampton has also closed over concerns about the virus.

St Mary's Independent School said the "precautionary" three-day closure came after "members of the school community" became ill, having recently travelled to China.

Brackley Medical Centre in Northamptonshire was also closed as a precautionary measure, but later reopened.

Some positive info would be good instead of the fear of the unknown.

• Well they shouldnt have flown people back who have contracted it to the UK from outbreak areas in China and China's authorities should have taken proper heed of the Chinese doctor who has subsequently dies form it who informed them this was likely to happen if nothing was done far sooner. Why did out governemnt arrange to fly people back here who had been / were in Wuhan, they should have quarantined them in China to give them the all clear in efforts to keep containment to a minimum.

• Well they shouldnt have flown people back who have contracted it to the UK from outbreak areas in China and China's authorities should have taken proper heed of the Chinese doctor who has subsequently dies form it who informed them this was likely to happen if nothing was done far sooner. Why did out governemnt arrange to fly people back here who had been / were in Wuhan, they should have quarantined them in China to give them the all clear in efforts to keep containment to a minimum.

I agree. Why bring potential carriers back here - or anywhere for that matter?

This kind of reminds me of Chernobyl, people on the ground were warning of the problems, got hushed up, BOOM!

I read this morning the virus may attenuate itself because if it kills every host it will itself die. Am I cheered by that? Not sure.

Meanwhile as The Clash said, Do I Stay Or Do I Go?

• Why did out governemnt arrange to fly people back here who had been / were in Wuhan, they should have quarantined them in China to give them the all clear in efforts to keep containment to a minimum.

Because for decades this nation and most others have been governed by those possessed of mediocre minds lacking common sense and ability.

It's why I have never voted in my life and unless some sort of fairly stringent competency test were to be imposed on voters before allowing the ticking of boxes never will.

Guess I'll not be attending a poll station ever.

• Because for decades this nation and most others have been governed by those possessed of mediocre minds lacking common sense and ability.

It's why I have never voted in my life and unless some sort of fairly stringent competency test were to be imposed on voters before allowing the ticking of boxes never will.

Guess I'll not be attending a poll station ever.

Yep I'm the same never vited, cant bring myself to vote for a party I would nit be fully behind and I and I am certsain,y not behind any of the showrrs of shit of parties in any shape or form. Well, it goes deeper than parties, it's the system. By voting, thats akin to stating that you are fully supportive enough to take part in their system of which the system we have got is outmoded and outdated for modern times. it is failing sectors of society and parties only pander hard to those that back them, it's the same as the Trump scenario. People will always say you got to vote to bring about change, in the time I've been an eligable age to vote, I have yet to see that happen and there isnt one party that exists that is capable of bringing about the radival change I'd like to see so voting isnt an option as I will not ever vote less that half heartedly for a party I know will never pull off even half of what they promise in their manifesto's. Stringent competency needs to be metered out for politicians and party's as well, if that was the case we would be seeing a very different playing field.

• Hearing this morning's radio reports, seriosuly WTF, seems like China's authorities knew about thos soread way before it hit the news and hushed it up, regional heads have now been sacked. A woman randomly flew into London in the last few days from China and has now been taken for treatment to St Thomas hosptital, why are they letting people fly out from China of their own volition and why havent they locked down China as it's now known it's spread way faster and further within their borders than they let it be officially be known. Too late now, there are people around the globe who have travelled from China who are not known about wether they are carriers or not.

And do you know, not once on anything I've heard on the radio have they given out a notice on what the symptoms are and what to watch out for

• The virus is already here, genies out of the bottle and it's only time before it's widespread.

For the stupid, the media is being controlled on what is broadcast, which is fine as it helps prevent tossers causing problems but at the same time governments around the world are holding back on this for IMO financial reasons. A little honesty would be good.

I dare say that in the next few days there will be public adverts on what to do and as long as it's not done by the same fuckbrains who made the coldwar ads on how to make your own fallout shelter out of doors in the home then we may be enlightened.

• And do you know, not once on anything I've heard on the radio have they given out a notice on what the symptoms are and what to watch out for

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms of Covid-19 only seem to start within 14 days of being exposed to the virus.

Typical symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath, and sometimes a runny nose or a sore throat. In some cases, this can progress to serious illness, including pneumonia and severe breathing problems.