Coronavirus

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I do wonder about all these stats being bandied about. The grimmest of them include China in the figures where by far the largest number of cases have been reported. Taking China's 1.4b population out of the counting one might see that some figures show the infection rate is 0.000073% of the world's population.

As of yesterday, there were 51 confirmed cases in the UK out of the 13,911 people tested.

and a week or so ago there were just a handful in Italy now 2500+ with 79 dead. :insane:

Today there are now 85 with three unknown sources of transmission.

• I'm thinking the infection rate and death statistics are skewed because not all cases are being counted. People who have a mild episode, recover fully, don't seek medical help or notify are unknowns. People who need to work come what may and do not notify are unknowns. The first group especially may be substantial which would bring the death percentage down considerably.

I reckon: try not to touch face, wash

hands, eat well, rest well, no handshaking, no buses trains tubes planes (proximity to potential carriers), no malls gyms swimming pools (recirculated air), shop late at night or click and collect, make contingency plan for dog (just in case I do croak), then just get on with life and enjoy as much as possible.

• and the cover-up begins so that we mushrooms don't panic and happily drift along in the dark and not even fed bullshit...........

The government has been accused of withholding information about the spread of coronavirus after a 70% increase in confirmed cases prompted health officials to stop providing daily updates on the location of new infections.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo…tes-criticised-by-experts

• I'll bet there's some bargains to be had on business class trips and especially on cruises if you could be sure of whom you're sharing the space with................

MindlessRectangularAracari-size_restricted.gif

On a more serious note I just don't accept the governments mentality on now refusing to divulge new UK cases until Fridays of the week. Drip feeding is surely better so folks know 'what' and 'where' and are kept informed and not suddenly get 'there's 500 new cases' which would surely cause more panic than good. Tossers.

The UK map shows cases up and down the country so it's now widespread, nearest to me that's been reported is 9 miles away !

• Some interesting conspiracy theories around, concerning whether this is actually a man-made virus rather than a crossover. That is, an animal virus that has been modified to infect humans deliberately. Perhaps it escaped a lab partway through the process, which might account for its lack of deadly effectiveness as a weapon.

Or maybe it might have been released just to make some very big and powerful concerns a great deal of money. We are talking £billions here. Here is this virus which appears to have at least a !% fatality rate, and among certain sectors of the population, perhaps much higher, around 8%.

OK, so we are a big Pharma company looking for a vaccine which will either prevent and/or cure an infection from this virus. After not a great deal of time and effort, say we produce a vaccine which tests show appears to work; it doesn't completely stop people getting infected, but it results in keeping fatalities down to only around !% of the general infected population, and maybe to around 8% fatalities of those groups most likely to be badly affected.

So with results like these we can market our vaccine worldwide, and sell it to everyone prepared to buy it, and charge pretty well for it, and make a very large profit, probably tens of £billions.

Good, Eh?

• Quote from Wulfie:

The UK map shows cases up and down the country so it's now widespread, nearest to me that's been reported is 9 miles away !

You should worry, mate!

We've got a case about two miles away, and it's at an hospital I have to visit next week for an eye checkup.....:reddevil:

• Chatted to a lady friend in China, they've no masks and shortages and another in the Philippines, she's being fed bullshit by her government about the virus but at least they've put the country in a state of emergency.

Italy have passed Iran with over 1200 cases. I've a bad feeling on what's coming our way.

• Just thinking if u order some chinese product all nicely boxed up, could the Corona virus be lurking inside waiting to infect the recipient???

Depends on what sort of delivery you want. Air cargo flight only a couple days, you will have virus fresh and tasty!

Slow boat from China, virus got no chance, unless somebody already hiding in the box....

• It will probably be interesting (in the Chinese sense of the word) to see what 'emergency legislation' the government puts in place over this corona virus scare. Whatever it is, the important thing is, will they be taking it out again when the threat is over?

Considering that it is a favourite tactic of dictatorial governments to instigate 'emergency measures' under some pretence or other, and then hold those same powers for years once they have established them, this government will bear watching.

Italy has announced an unprecedented quarantine on its northern region of Lombardy and other badly affected areas on Sunday, impacting some 16 million people, as it steps up efforts to tackle Europe's largest outbreak of coronavirus.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte early on Sunday issued a decree that severely restricts the movement of individuals in the northern region and surrounding areas in a move that came as the country is struggling the contain the virus' spread, with the number of cases rising by 1,247 in the last 24 hours.

From reading between the lines China is saying for folks to 'dig-in' for the rest of the year, not to travel etc. and unless my figures are wrong, Italy has jumped from 1200 to 6000 infectios in just 9hrs. That is a wtf situation.

I reckon that there'll be a ban on gatherings sometime soon and until a vaccine is made we're going to have to change our lifestyles to suit.

• From reading between the lines China is saying for folks to 'dig-in' for the rest of the year, not to travel etc. and unless my figures are wrong, Italy has jumped from 1200 to 6000 infectios in just 9hrs. That is a wtf situation.

I reckon that there'll be a ban on gatherings sometime soon and until a vaccine is made we're going to have to change our lifestyles to suit.

Yeah, sadly I'm thinking that maybe festivals will be banned this year. I mean, how is it possible to get on one and then NOT hug anybody?

But seriously now: I was just musing on a system for collecting rainwater and purifying it, partly by using ultra violet light. I thought, does UV kill viruses?