Vegan fast food

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Dont really work with sheep much nowadays, but when i did and do now and again, you kind of ingest there smell its horrible, you basicly smell like a sheep in all ways for about two days after working on them, i swear you get the sheep farts.

• I remember one of our tractor drivers telling a tale in our bothy, about one of the shepherds he had to visit one night with a message (No phones then).

"When I went in, he (the shepherd) were a settin' there at a big fire with his old Mum, an' he still had his fuggin' wellies on, covered in shit, an' what with the heat an' the smell' I had to get out quick! I were heavin' !" :D

• I can see some of you are well into sheep. I am surprised....:whistle:

Wellington boots, anyone....?:reddevil:

Being Welsh I have had to put up with sheep shagging jokes all my life from the english,but this I accept as it is in general just a bit of banter.

The bit that confuses me is that if lots of English people think that us welsh have our wicked ways with our sheep,then why do so many people in England eat welsh lamb !!!!!

Disgusting !!!!!

• Anyone else got any sheep jokes they need to get of their chest? I invite you to use them now before I sheepishly tell you to flock off as I have herd them all and you cant pull the wool over my ewes eyes :-)

• Anyone else got any sheep jokes they need to get of their chest? I invite you to use them now before I sheepishly tell you to flock off as I have herd them all and you cant pull the wool over my ewes eyes :-)

Not actually a joke as it happened, but it was highly amusing .... the boss of small builders I started working for was an old boy from the valleys with a broad accent , one morning he drove me out to a site I was gonna be working on (agricultural engineers so it was a farm),so we arrived , got outta the jeep and as we walked across to the farm managers office a collie came running out barking , stopped in front the boss and started snarling, boss says 'dunno why that fucking dog hates me?' , ,,,'maybe its the accent I replied' :whistle:

• First time ever ive done my shopping and not purchased any real meat. Ive gone on a veggie meat binge to try out,but this time not bought any yucky soya or Qourn based stuff (which i cant stick). So some more LazyVegan products plus vegan sausage by Hecks and the 'new' Birds Eye green burgers...we shall see if this was a wise move later.

• So far the vegan fast food foray is not going well. Sainsburys failed to deliver the Birds Eye green burgers and substituted their own crappy product made from soya and a billion chemicals dhich i sent back. The Heck sausage? Well precisely,what the heck was it, apart from it did actually have the consistency of sausage meat but the taste free and nausea inducing so half the packet now lives in the trash bag.Good riddance. Ill stick to home made Glamorgan sausages for now.

Vegan sausage or burger recommendations? Must not contain soya quinoa or shitloads of chemical fakery.

• Not to mention it can make you pretty ill if not washed and cooked properly. To be honest im beginning to think its just best not looking for a meat substitute and just eating veg/fruit. Almost every meat replacement ive eaten has been pretty dire. The pea meat by lazyvegan being about the only one i can stomach.

• Almost every meat replacement ive eaten has been pretty dire. The pea meat by lazyvegan being about the only one i can stomach.

I don't use meat substitutes and I have too much respect for my taste buds to even go near the commercial cheese substitutes but I have managed to whip up a reasonable 'cheese spread' which was very nice on crackers or toast and a crumbly cheesy 'ricotta' mix for lasagne made from tofu, nutritional yeast, sunflower seeds, olive oil and lemon juice. I think it's the texture I miss more than anything. There's nothing to really get your teeth into on a vegan diet.

• Yes definitely a texture thing. Some of the meat substitutes like quorn make tend to be either soft unpleasant squidgy andvtasteless or rubbery and tasteless. The pulled peas in LazyVegan meals has a reasonable chewy meaty texture but needs plenty of flavour enhancement. Certainly wouldnt want to eat it on its own like a chicken sandwich.

To be honest ive made tastier meals with large steak mushrooms but still doesnt cut it.

In the LazyVegan provencale and the mexican mix its ok and probably be ok bunged in a curry sauce and simmered a good while.

I do like that theres absolutely no chemicals or flavor enhancers in the packs,just veg,herbs and oils.

That said not much of calorific substance either. 350g pack only 400 cals so ill definitely be hungry again later....the cake will coming out.

I agree about vegan cheese,every one ive bought has ended up in the trash and im not terribly happy with veggie spreads.

As a trial I bought some vegan choc cake :vomit: the seagulls had that.

The quest continues.

• Yes, we tend to put in plenty of mixed herbs and sometimes spices when making a stew, and then usually there's enough of the liquid left over to either make stock for the next meal, or make into a soup with the addition of a can of chopped tomatoes.

We find most instant gravy stock , whether veggie or not, seems to be very salty, so only use when nowt else is available.

• All very interesting stuff. Have heard quite a bit about meat free alternatives on the radio recently and to be honest, doesnt sound good, even worse so with your foray into it NomadicRT, by that I mean the pre prepared processed stuff. One guy was experimenting with vegan scampi, just why are they calling this stuff vegan scampi, vegan sausage, vegan fish and chips, vegan meat free burgers and bacon, vegan chicken nuggets. If I was going to head into a vegan way of food I certainly would not be buying food that is still named after the meat version, thats a cop out. It's all about the multi corps cashing in on what they see as a cash cow ( pun intended :reddevil: ) Also heard a food science slot about the lab grown meat, whoa no way, it's just a chemical conconction grown on a petri dish. I certainly wont be going down that road.

Why would someone who is vegan want to eat a food product that has the texture and eatability of meat, is that seen a a transitional thing from being a meat eater to becoming a fully fledged Vegan.

• Ive been an omnivorous eater for 60 yrs,i like good food. I love the taste of meat bird or fish,cant help that,its way i woz brung up. So for me its trying to find a veg meat substitute that actually tastes like chicken lamb beef or pork or fish and can eat without contributing to the industrialised slaughter and processing of animals.

Vegan products are labelled in familiar terms so the traditional meat eating consumer knows what the product is supposed to taste like.I dont believe theres anything more sinister. Its not really sufficient to say 'contains meat substitutes' without knowing what flavour of meat its supposed to be. Meat eaters buy particular meat or meat products knowing full well what its going to taste like.Life long vegans wouldnt care as in general they never liked it and dont normally eat meat substitutes or feel any need to.

Im disappointed that the options are so limited and tasteless for meat fish and dairy products. No way would i eat lab grown meat either. End of the day if im not enjoying the eating process theres no point to life either from my viewpoint as most of our lives involves eating. Ive lived on veg and cereal diets due to lack of money and for me its soul destroying.

I know eating meat in the western world is losing its popularity and much of that attitude change is squarely down to the vile inhumane industrialised nature of meat production.

Years ago farm animals lived very long lives,well looked after and treated with respect, often had familiar names and farmers felt uneasy about losing critters or sending them to market. Ive worked on farms like that as a youngster.

Ive grown and eaten my own fowl knowing they were all exceptionally well cared for,fed the best,free ranged and had good lives and swift painless end.

Id not eat commercial farmed meat from supermarkets as its just an intensive industrialised racket so the only options are to find a traditional meat producer and pay a big price premium or find an affordable convincing meat substitute.

If i lived in a location where i had no choice but to subsistence hunt or fish for my food id have no problem with doing that,ive done it before. Im not hung up on any philosophy its just that id rather procure my food from more ethical sources than whats available to me in this so called modern world.

Meat produced en masse and down to a price isnt ethical as far as im concerned. For that matter neither is industrialised vegetable or fruit production.

• Why would someone who is vegan want to eat a food product that has the texture and eatability of meat, is that seen a a transitional thing from being a meat eater to becoming a fully fledged Vegan.

Giving up meat doesn't mean you don't like it. For some people it's a really tough transition. You(generic) may want to be a fully fledged vegan but it's hard to lose the things you love no matter what the reason. If people want to eat meat substitutes that's a personal choice. There is absoutely NOTHING in the vegetable world that gives the same satisfaction as the texture of meat. I love chilli. I really love chilli. But without meat it's not chilli. My son makes a great meatless chilli but it just doesn't cut the mustard so I don't eat it. I'm not going to leave myself open to that disappointment. Nothing in this world is cut and dried. It's not just a matter of giving up animal products. There are huge psychological impacts as well. ESPECIALLY around food! It's why dieting is so tough! If it was simple I'd be twig thin and a size 8 instead of decidely lump and a 16/18.

• I wanted to quote the above Maggi but the website is playing kooky this morning and wont quote. I do feel that in the case of the transition to meat free and what you say about dieting being tough, it has to be treated the same as an addiction. Folk having issues with food they know is bad for them hence weight issues, it is an addiction, anything that is hard to give up or change comes under addiction am sure of that.

• I wanted to quote the above Maggi but the website is playing kooky this morning and wont quote. I do feel that in the case of the transition to meat free and what you say about dieting being tough, it has to be treated the same as an addiction. Folk having issues with food they know is bad for them hence weight issues, it is an addiction, anything that is hard to give up or change comes under addiction am sure of that.

You'll get no argument from me. The difference with food from other addictions is, you can't give it up. Alcohol, drugs, you can stay away from them. I'm not saying it's easy with drugs and alcohol by the way. A late friend was a heroin addict and he struggled every day and another friend is an alcoholic. But you can't stay away from food. It's everywhere, it's legal and it's highly advertised and in some cases actually pushed on you.. And in spite of what Breatharians say, you can't exist on air! My lifelong struggle has been my weight. And it's all psychological for those who have this problem. In theory it's just a simple matter of calories in versus calories out. And if that was all it was it'd be easy. But if I'm not in the right headspace, it's not going to work. And any dieter will tell you the same. It's not that I don't know what to do and how to do it either. I know as much as any qualified nutritionist because I made it my business to know when I had kids. There's no help either. If I was anorexic or bulimic there would be counselling and other help available but being overweight isn't seen as an eating disorder in spite of heart disease being one of the major causes of premature, preventable death in the western world. I'd like to say that going back to veganism will help but I was fatter than I am now last time I was a vegan thanks to long working hours and manufactured crap full of salt, sugar and fat. At least I can cook from scratch now.