TL;DR: ISP charged me £150 for an engineer who "didn't find a fault", even though the call operator agreed there was a fault and eventually fixed it.
I've been with my ISP (Home Telecom) for years!
However, for the last year or so, I've had a fault where, every few months, the service becomes patchy and intermittent -- like the line would drop out every few minutes before reconnecting.
Each time I contacted their tech guys they sorted it out for me -- typically by pressing a few buttons and performing resets, and (because I am a long term customer) I persevered with them as my ISP. Of course, I did all the recommended stuff like change the filters etc.
However, the last time this happened (in July) they blamed my equipment. As such I replaced my router and disconnected everything except for my PC.
This did not work, so they called out an Openreach engineer -- with a disclaimer about charging me if they didn't find a fault. Frustrated, I had no choice but to accept - it was that or no repair.
Next day the operator did another extensive line test and found a problem -- and told me that an engineer would no longer be necessary and there would be no charge. Big sigh of relief -- fault got fixed, engineer didn't come or check anything; everything has worked since.
Yesterday, four months later, they extracted £150 (inc VAT) from my account, for an engineer that never attended!
Home Telecom have dug their heels in, claiming that the engineer fee was because they found nothing wrong.
So, I've contacted my bank to try to invoke a "direct debit guarantee" claim -- but my bank has said that, if I get my money back, the ISP could still win any complaint.
Umm, yeah, any other ideas how to make sure I get my money back from Home Telecom with the minimum of fuss.