i'm going vegan

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Nice to hear thingss are going well for you,you deserve it.

You do what you feel you need to do hun and if people are against it,then screw em,they should respect you for sticking to your principles. It takes a lot of strengh and determination to do what you are doing and if anyone gives you shit for doing it,then get rid of those people from your reality.

I am sure there are others on here who will respect your will as I do.

Keep up the good work :-)

• back on the vegan thing, i was really surprised at how much negativity is out there from other vegans! my family and close friends are really supportive but i had to leave a couple of FB pages i'd joined because some of the other members were just plain nasty!

Oh Lord! I've joined and quit so many FB groups. Mostly for quilting. Frankly most of them are the pits. I think my record for joining and quitting is half an hour. Veganism has become a religion replacement for some people and like born again christians, it's my way or the highway. Admin should be jumping all over any nastiness but sadly few of them bother. Start your own group, set your own rules and make it a comfortable place for other people. Kick out the negative nellies or the evangelists. No-one needs that shit.

• I went on a couple of FB vegan groups to find out about decent recommended meat substitutes and got jumped all over on one for ever having eaten meat in my life and the other because someone looked at my profile and said I was horrible person keeping animals in slavery (pet dog and cat) so i left both. It seems to be the same on Fb in general, youre not even allowed comment on your own profile without someone diving in to have a go about something It should be renamed Arsebook, because its full of them. I think youre far better off with trial and error finding your own vegan products you like which is what im trying to do and not always successful but i am trying..Far too many self appointed experts and vegan police for my liking.

• I've fucked up already!, I had a spoons breakfast and didn't think about bacon and sausage as being from mammals, fuck sake!!! :insane:

It takes time, a lot of time, to unload old habits. Don't beat yourelf up hun! At one time I was a vegetarian. !0 years and I still found myself automatically going to eat bits of left over pepperoni pizza from the fridge. And to be fair, bacon aside, I'm not actually convinced 'spoons sausages have ever been anywhere near an actual animal. Bread paste and glue maybe.

• My experience was that I was so locked into my old ways that I needed to get quite obsessive about the change for at least the first month.

Old habits die hard -- I bought some honey roast nuts in the first week of being vegan, and didn't even consider it until I was halfway through the bag.

Did similar when I first went veggie by opening a tin of tuna, before realising what I'd done - although I didn't actually eat that.

15+ years without meat and 6+ years vegan and it's second nature now, but it only took a month or so for each shift to get embedded.

• One can always get caught out. Yesterday I bought a vegan baguette (avocado and tomato - don't judge me!) from the Prêt (okay, you can judge me on that one) near Cambridge Station. Distracted by the fact that my return ticket wouldn't go through the barrier and that my train was due any minute I was halfway down the sandwich before I noticed what looked like cheese in the filling. Fifty+ years a vegetarian and three years since I've eaten anything from a dairy I was shocked. I was torn between not wasting food in this hungry world and trying to regain some dignity about my principles. I threw the remainder in the bin. A couple of hours later the nausea kicked in. I'm sure it was my body trying to work out what I'd just eaten.