Vegan Pork Pies? Surely not....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I guess its probably a good product but ive never really understood the principle of vegans wanting to eat artificial meat replacement. Ive tried a load of vegan 'meat' products and quite honestly they taste shit. If i intended going vegan i would not bother looking for a meat substitute.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• Yeah, it's a little odd, especially when giving up meat for ethical reasons, as you'd think the last thing you'd want is to be reminded of what flesh meat looks like!

Still, it may ease the transition for more reluctant vegans, I guess.

• As a pie it probably does the business, certainly looks good. Like you say, if vegans think meat is shit, why does most of the stuff they insist on eating have to look like a fuckin steak?.... Eat silage by all means, I've even started eating a semi veggie diet myself lately but I don't insist on it looking like meat! Hey ho, each to their own as they say....:broc::whistle:

• I guess its probably a good product but ive never really understood the principle of vegans wanting to eat artificial meat replacement.

Yeah, it's a little odd, especially when giving up meat for ethical reasons, as you'd think the last thing you'd want is to be reminded of what flesh meat looks like!

Part of it is social conditioning -- most people who stop eating meat do so after many years, and so there's a comfort in enjoying the familiar, but knowing you're not contributing to anything unethical at the same time.

Most of the flavouring in meat dishes comes from the herbs and spices and cooking techniques, and most processed meat looks so far removed from an animal that it's more about convenience than it is about creating a substitute.

Like, nuggets, sausages and burgers are food shaped, not animal shaped.

It also sends a message that you don't need to stop enjoying old favourites, that there isn't any major sacrifice -- although I agree that some fakes are gross, but some are great and some are just their own unique thing and shouldn't really be compared to anything anyway.

• Just because people give up meat for whatever reason, doesn't mean they don't miss it. It can be about texture as well. My son makes a mean three bean chilli but it's not chilli without the texture of the meat. It's just beans with some chilli thrown in if that makes sense so he throws in some meat substitute. I love the flavour of bacon AND the smell of it cooking. It doesn't have to be the real thing. Why should I give up one of life's greatest pleasures, a bacon sarnie, if I don't have to. Or is the real point of veganism to show what martyrs people are and how we suffer to prevent animals from suffering. And yes, I've met the one's with the 'martyr' syndrome. And yes, I know it's not the majority. Intellectually we can rationalise not eating meat but we've been programmed over thousands of years and if it helps people to have some kind of substitute, then I don't see why other people are getting their knickers in such a twist over it. If you don't like it, don't eat it. You don't have to understand. You just have to accept it's someone else's journey, not yours.

• Yeah, fish and chips got me, I'm afraid.

Out for a night with mates and stopping at the chippy on the way back, and just getting chips while they enjoyed bloody great steaming haddocks was really not on....

No fake fish in those days, no fake bacon, but you could get a mean bean roast carved to look a bit like a chicken breast if you were so minded. Cut it into soggy slices, pour gravy over, and imagine you wouldn't know the difference....:D

Veggies and vegans get it a lot better today, I think. Far more choice of stuff, whether you want it to look like flesh meat or not. No objection to vegan sausages myself, except they make me fart a bit, so I tend to avoid them; Quorn is even worse in its gastrointestinal effects - don't even go there!

But the original question remains: What is vegan pork?

You can have vegan meat, because meat really only means 'food', and is a general term. But vegan beef, or vegan pork, refers to a particular type of flesh meat that comes from a particular animal. So the term contradicts itself. If it is actually beef or pork, it isn't vegan. If it is actually vegan, it isn't beef or pork.

I've no objection to vegans calling their foods whatever they like, if they perhaps enjoy following the meaty trendy terms that manufacturers think up. But it doesn't make those terms grammatically correct.

• I've no objection to vegans calling their foods whatever they like, if they perhaps enjoy following the meaty trendy terms that manufacturers think up. But it doesn't make those terms grammatically correct.

I've always wondered who it was who decided to call a pig 'pork' or a cow 'beef' in the first place. My best guess is that it was done to create a bit of distance in the consumers head to help sell the product..

• As an interesting insight into a possible third alternative, take a look at this.

But is it really vegan? It has meat cell origins, but apparently grown without cruelty in labs, so okay in that way, and even foreseen in 1960's science fiction.

I can't really stomach meat substitutes that taste too much like meat but ethically speaking i wouldn't have a problem. Just walking down the street i kill and probably swallow lots of insects so there's no point getting upset about a few cells

• But is it really vegan? It has meat cell origins, but apparently grown without cruelty in labs, so okay in that way, and even foreseen in 1960's science fiction.

The Vegan Society definition of Veganism is:

"A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

It's actually 75 years since the founders invented the word "vegan", but in my mind that gives them the right to define the word and its correct meaning.

That means it wouldn't be vegan because, even though it's less cruel, it's still considered to be a form of exploitation -- I guess it all depends on whether cells could be obtained from plucking a random hair on a wild ox, or whether they need a farm full of permanent donor animals.

The whole idea of it seems a bit gross tbh.

• The fact that vegan food is now mainstream is good news , never ate meat so can not do a compere with so called fake meat ,

but with me is great to have convenience food available, now I would not eat it all time , and a lot of it has no taste at all but , to be able to pull of the motorway drive in a services and either buy a ready made sandwich a vegan subway or pop into greggs and grab a sausage roll , coffee with soya milk and a vegan belgium bun is amazing , before if I was going somewhere on a run I always made a pack lunch for myself if not in a waggon ,

and Kieth you are a bit behind the times holland and barrett have been selling porkless pies for at least 10 years

I even saw a foot long vegan sausage roll yesterday in morrisons it looked fucking horrible but wow

• Post by Maggi ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • The fact that vegan food is now mainstream is good news ....

....and Kieth you are a bit behind the times holland and barrett have been selling porkless pies for at least 10 years

That's just it, you are talking about porkless pies. That means pies without pork, that's all. Any vegetarian pie is a porkless pie.

The pies Morrisons are selling claim to be vegan pork pies. So what the fug is vegan pork?:D