I Seem To Have Aquired a New Pet

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Congratulations. Consider yourself chosen.

I'm not a cat person - many years ago (20+) a big ginger tom turned up at my house and hung around. Fed him after a while and he stayed, even getting on with my dogs, till about 3 years later when it seems he got a better offer. He fucked off and moved in with the woman 3 doors down who gave him chicken every day! Didn't even acknowledge me when i stroked him after that - twat!

• Well I put him out last night as I thought he might have fleas

If he is indeed a stray rather than just a moocher, he most definitely has fleas. It's been a really bad year for flea epidemics, so get some spray because he may well have left you with house-guests you really don't want. In spite of my mother's cat being regularly treated, my youngest sister has been bitten round her ankles so badly she looks like she has a bad case of measles. Contrary to many people's beliefs, animal fleas will happily live away from a host in carpets, skirting boards, sofas etc. Get that spray out.

• Interesting about cat fleas. I've always found that after a couple of bites cat fleas won't bite again, and I thought this was so for most humans, and that they found us distasteful.

Dog fleas are just the opposite, and once they get established they can be a devil to get rid of.

• Interesting about cat fleas. I've always found that after a couple of bites cat fleas won't bite again, and I thought this was so for most humans, and that they found us distasteful.

Dog fleas are just the opposite, and once they get established they can be a devil to get rid of.

Well they certainly had a good old chomp on my sister's ankles. Apparently they are less fussy than dogs and it's likely she got bitten by newly hatched fleas from eggs that had been dispersed over the sofa. The info MUST be true because I found it online. ;)

• Went to the kindling bin and nearly crapped myself as a little, teeny thing shot out of it! Thought it was a r-t, (it's bad to use the word on the island, we call them ringies).Anyway it turned out to be a very tiny tortoiseshell kitten and soooo scared. Eventually it started feeding and even coming into and sleeping in the utility. My wife isn't very keen on animals so I took it up the farm which is about four miles away and about mile up a muddy track up the mountain side. It stayed around the farm for about two weeks and then disappeared.

A good six months later I thought I heard noise at the back door and lo and behold, there was the Kitten sitting there all innocent mewling, 'where's my food?'

That was it! We had both got tears in our eyes and that was it , she stayed, the cat and my wife. Now, 10 years later they're both still here and the cat's lying across my lap, purring away as confident and scatty as any other cat.

I also had a ginger female cat who travelled thousands of miles with me on the narrowboat and contrary to what most folk think, she used to happily swim across the cut to and from the bank!

As you've probably figured I love cats and the current one is about the 12th I have been owned by.

• Treat animals with a flea and tick spot-on drops,theres no problem with fleas. Ive lived with dog and cats in my trailer and never had fleas.Ive got a flea spray but never had to use it.

I get more nuisance from earwigs and slugs.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• I've managed to stop the ginger tom from visiting now I have a black and white tom sitting on my seat after leaving door open to air van, what's going on ? Still at least no fleas as the van is now far too cold for any sensible insect

• If a cat thinks it's going to choose me as it's human its got another thing coming. Kindly and humanely it will have to do one and not bother coming back. Although being an animal lover and have had a few species living around me, cats have never found a nook, just cant be doing with them. Why is it that with a dog, humans are right on the case with learning them to ask to go for a shit outside, but with cats, oh no dear cat, there you go, you can shit in the tray in the corner