Think twice before buying a Thinkpad.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I bought what I thought was a bargain,only to find it only had 30GB of HD. As Windows 10 takes up 20GB, there is no capacity to add Chrome or FF. The loading speed of web pages is about the same as XP using FF on the best dial up.

• Apparently this is a common problem now with smaller computers, laptops and phones. There's so much crap already stored on a very small storage capacity, they can't even do updates. I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop, have absolutely nothing stored or downloaded on it and it's always telling me it can't do the updates, I need to free up more storage space. WTF. It's not like I'll EVER use 3/4's of the crap on it. But I don't know enough, (enough? I know nothing,) to know what's safe to uninstall.

• Plenty of excellent Thinkpads about, you just have to check the spec before you buy. This older model Thinkpad makes an excellent smallish laptop, coming with 160 GB as standard, which can be upgraded to a much larger drive.

I have already paid for Windoes 10 . If I bought a larger HD I would need a Windows installation disc and activation key.I have as yet to see what the advantages of Windoes 10 has over Windows 7.

• Probably not a lot except support by microsoft for win7 is about to end shortly so any bugs or security issues that crop up will no longer be plugged. As a result many common browsers may stop supporting installs on win7 and apps/software may not support win7 installs. Win10 is due to be totally replaced.

I dont like win10 myself,i like win7 but the reality is ill have to migrate to win10 or its replacement or another OS sooner or later and thats going to mean a newer laptop or tablet as neither of mine support win10 upgrade.

Win10 works in a similar way to most mobile technology which has become the default mode for most device users. Win7 is increasingly incompatible with new apps and touchscreen technology

Technology evolves, it makes sense to evolve with it if you intend having it play a part in your daily life,even if youre not that keen on the newer technology.

Its time consuming and completely uneconomic for app developers to make apps and software backwardly compatible with old operating software when they already have to devote huge resources to new device compatibility and new operating software.

If your win10 pc doesnt have a big enough hard drive, buy a 1 or 2 TB peripheral hard drive or network drive for storage then you wont need installation discs or keys. Thats all i use with my two 2008 laptops on win7... Everything stores on a 1 TB iomega (now Lenovo) network drive and its all done wirelessly it cost about £90 at the time,theyre cheaper now..simples.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 4 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• Always makes me smile when I see this thread. Can't imagine all these "hippies" sitting around discussing computers & gigabytes & rams & stuff, it all seems alien to my idea of a hippy type. Maybe its just me....😉💻🔨

• Always makes me smile when I see this thread. Can't imagine all these "hippies" sitting around discussing computers & gigabytes & rams & stuff, it all seems alien to my idea of a hippy type. Maybe its just me....😉💻🔨

But we can throw it on the fire when we get pissed off with it... :D

And i never said i was a hippy :whistle:

• I have as yet to see what the advantages of Windoes 10 has over Windows 7.

I dont like win10 myself,i like win7 but the reality is ill have to migrate to win10 or its replacement

Windows 7 was a great operating system.

It seems that they alternate between good and bad -- Windows 95 was good (for its day), Windows 98 was buggy. Windows XP was great, Windows Vista was shit, Windows 7 was great, Windows 8 was nasty ... and here we are.

Windows 10 is OK, but it's geared towards tablets and phones thus making it a bit counterintuitive if you're a desktop user --- so the first thing I do is spend hours trying to get it to work like more traditional versions of Windows, including an addon called 'Start 10' that gives me a more familiar desktop experience.

• Im pleased that you didn't think that Me was even worth a mention Paul!

Win98se was one of the better operating systems, especially if stripped with 98lite and the win95 shell installed.

I have one old laptop for stuff that manufacturers of devices wont provide Linux support for, it runs windows 7 (with all unnecessary services disabled using the black viper guide)

Maybe you have a point but hippies also sit around discussing engines,motorbikes,truck and van building and being general petrolheads or discussing technicalities of solar systems and tv and celebs and which is also counter to the traditional hippy ethos of living simply in harmony with the natural world and rejecting mainstream culture.

Maybe its more indicative of the fact most of us arent true hippies -whatever one of those really is- we're just part of a broad non mainstream alternative culture that is a melting pot of all cultures and lifestyles.

In fact it just brings us back to the never-ending question 'what is a hippy' everyone has their own definitions and the original hippies generally rose out of well to do middle class backgrounds with all the latest gizmos of the period at their disposal and used their better financial status and leisure to create a rebellious counter culture to that they were brought up in.

Define hippy type :/

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• Hippy is a state of mind, really.

I have known a guy for many years who dressed straight, wore his hair short all his life, and yet in his words and his actions was more 'hippy' than I have ever been. He calmed down many family arguments, went out of his way to help folks, some of whom used him, but he never got mad with them, just came back for more. I suppose religious folks would have called him 'one of god's children'; a real genuine hippy soul. I guess he was somewhat farther along the spiritual evolutionary scale than I am....:)

• I have already paid for Windoes 10 . If I bought a larger HD I would need a Windows installation disc and activation key.I have as yet to see what the advantages of Windoes 10 has over Windows 7.

It's quite easy to download the same version of Win 10 that's on your present drive, direct from Microsoft, and use your current activation key to get it started. Even if you don't see the key on your hardware, it's simple to use a small app that will sniff it out for you. We used to do this all the time.

• I should have written Ideapad. I eventually bought another M.2 SSD.Installing was straight forward. Making a boot up USB I found the only thing that worrked was Windows Creation Tool that I downloaded to another notebook. The other problem I had was I had to "clean"the new SSD by going to Command Prompt and running the diskpart script.