Any had any success adapting to floor sleeping after years of sleeping on 'normal' bed? What helped?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello,

Not sure if this post is in the right category (sorry if not)

I have been trying to sleep on the floor (on a sheet on the carpet) and to be honest I'm not sure how I'm adapting. I can do one or two nights and then think I should go back to the bed for a night. I get a little concerned I'm not getting good enough sleep during floor nights though I get the usual dreams and stuff (maybe I'm just groggy from usual dealing with the world thing) I was thinking maybe I try a pattern of 1 or 2 nights floor, 1 bed and slowly increase the number of floor nights. In conclusion it is a bit of an effort to adapt and am seeking the wisdom of other's experience on this one.

• I'd suggest getting a harder mattress to start with; once you get used to that it's easier to sleep on the floor. But I think you still need something underneath more than a blanket if you're on the floor. Folk used to sleep on straw before mattresses came along.

Can't explain it exactly, but whenever we got back from camping, even on air beds, it was a great relief to sleep back in our own bed, even though its much harder than an air mattress.

On the other hand a mate of mine who had a very bad back had to sleep on a sheet of ply on his bed for months till it healed sufficiently for him to use a bed again. Then he had to buy a very hard orthopedic mattress because the old one was too soft.

I suffer from backache but nothing like that. A hard mattress helps - if I go away someplace with a soft mattress I wake up with lots of aches and pains.

• I dont really understand the need to floor sleep as opposed to bed sleep,especially when your floor sleep is leading to very poor quality of sleep and inadequate rest and youre struggling to endure it full time....unless its a need to do some kind of monastic style daily purgatory.

I broke my back some years ago and as was the wisdom of the time i had a very hard orthopaedic mattress installed. In the very few years i endured this total torture i cant ever remember having a comfortable night of quality sleep.I cannot lie absolutely flat because it is excruciatingly painful.

After discussion with my consultant he just said quality sleep was the miset important and to sleep on whats most comfortable for me and gives me the best quality of sleep. The ortho mattress departed rapido and i sleep a lot better.

Its true a saggy mattress can induce backache but if you have the right balance of support and comfort you should not get backache.

The problem with the human body and hard flat surfaces is all the body weight bears down on pressure points : shoulders,elbows,hips,knees,ankle bones,backbone or skull. If you dont shift regularly as you do normally in sleep you become prone to pressure sores so youre much more likely to be moving about during sleep on a hard surface than on a soft surface that supports your body mass more evenly.

There may also be the fact youre colder on the floor -being the coldest part of the room - and maybe that contributes to your poor sleep.??

Ive slept on cold stone floors with straw bedding and on tarmac on top of tarpaulins under trucks in -20c years ago,neither option were conducive to good sleep or good nature when awake.

If youre determined to press on with the hard surface sleeping program,why cant you dispense with mattress and put a plywood sheet on the bed base/frame with carpet and sleep on that?

Must it be a hard floor? or could you not sleep on floor mattresses-Japanese style, futon, sack mattress or beanie bag type bedding,nest bed or cushioned gym flooring where youll be sleeping on the floor but have a more evenly supportive bedding.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 3 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• It is all an elaborate plan to trick the tooth fairy.

My mattress has seen better days and I thought maybe I get away without having one and tried it - admittedly somewhat obstinately.

Reading the post of the chap above made me realise it might not be someone can adapt to if people spend years having uncomfortable sleep without getting used to the conditions. So I have decided to give it up as a bad job.

I appreciate all the input on this

• Even of your bed mattress has died you can still find affordable comfortable alternatives or something on the floor. One of my mates sleeps on a pile of duvets on the floor because he wont buy a bed. Gym floor mats and duvets are a lot cheaper than bed mattresses.

If youre uncomfortable in bed and a new mattress is not an option then its not good for you so keep looking for alternatives.

If you want a mattress and the cost is a factor have a look at charity shops or on freecycle.theres nearly always beds and mattresses or futon beds listed.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• okay, so your mate who sleeps on the pile of duvets. How many duvets does he use? Did it take him long to get good night's sleep on them?

• Hes got two heavy winter ones on the floor and a winter or summer one for on top depending on season. He got them in supermarkets cheap Hes never grumbled about being uncomfortable or cold.Ive got an old duvet on top of my trailer bedding as its way more comfortable than just the bunk cushions.

If you want a bit more cushioning and insulation from the floor you can get interlocking gym flooring dirt cheap off ebay or amazon. Enough for a double bed size would cost you a tenner.

Youll just have to experiment till you find something that works for you.

Personally i dont like traditional beds theyre cumbersome,take up room, expensive and a waste of natural resources and a major environmental problem to dispose of.

When i had a flat i had a Japanese style bed which is basically a large rollout padded mattress on the floor.

The post was edited 2 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• I've often thought that the average bed seems to take up a large amount of space for a large amount of time, considering it's only used during the night. You notice this much more if you live in a vehicle or a small flat, of course.

I've slept in fold-down beds in holiday rooms way back, but always been a bit suspicious of them swallowing people, having heard one or two stories.....^^

Folks used straw, or bagged straw, back before mattresses. Prone to getting fleas and other insects though, after a period of time.

Interlocking gym flooring, as mentioned by NRT above, could be put down in minutes, covered by carpet tiles and a rollout pad with duvets on top. Packed away in the morning leaving a bit more room during the day. Interesting thread....

• I've slept in fold-down beds in holiday rooms way back, but always been a bit suspicious of them swallowing people, having heard one or two stories.....

If you are rude to the porter in the hotel he has secret button he can press and off you go to futon land.

• Just a thought - that will take this exploration in a slightly different direction. Suppose someone was working with raw wool (weaving, felting - whatever hippies do with wool these days) and put bags of maybe 6 fleeces together to make an improvised mattress of sorts. I imagine this would work well with the side effect of making one smell a little of sheep. (This could be a bonus if you are planning to court a shepardess - who knows) The only concern of this method would be that it may compact the wool - causing it to lose some of its springiness. This could detract from the quality of the product in future weaving/felting operations. I don't know if that would happen, I am not a wool scientist. If we have any wool scientists, I would like to know their thoughts on it.

• You could get those oversize lounging cushions you throw on the floor to...erm.. lounge on...like beanie bags..what happened to them.There must be somewhere redundant beanie bags went to languish in retirement.

Or a sleep pod

My mate who sleeps on duvets couldnt afford heating in his flat for a while so stuck a small inflatable tent up in the flat and chucked his duvets in there.

He lives in a van now....with the duvets.

The post was edited 2 times, last by NomadicRT ().