Is it possible to really disappear without a trace?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I really think this is the best place to be- sat happily on the edge but not cutting your nose off to spite your face so to speak!

Disappearing completely needs some serious bushcraft skills, but even they don't help if you become ill. If you are prepared to die for your cause then fine but I really wouldn't want to forgo medical care.

I also am very happy on my own and am pretty introverted, but I do like to catch up with friends and family now and again and I think for me, having a life of complete solitude in the middle of nowhere whilst trying to scrape by survival wise and hoping not to get ill, wouldn't be the best existence.

Funnily enough, I watched 'Into the Wild' last week, which is about a young guy who decides he hates society and wants to drop out completely. The odd thing was, he then spent much of his time eating food other people had prepared and hitching lifts, so was still using the society he hated....

He did go completely off on his own in the end, but died of starvation. It's based on a true story, food for thought if you have a spare 2 1/2 hours (its a long film!)

• Whereas I can appreciate his sentiments in that film I did think he was a bit of a dick. They had to get rid of the bus as people were going out there to visit it because of the film and getting into similar problems, twats !!!!

• He was very, very naïve wasn't he- I don't know how he thought he was going to survive on his own in Alaska after a quick chat with a bloke who knew some stuff about killing animals and a plant ID book or two. I did wonder how long he would have survived if he hadn't found the bus, and since I'm assuming busses don't usually appear in the wilderness, what he had planned for his shelter!

• For what its worth, everybody has spoken of the possible hardships ahead, lack of money and how difficult it is to be a ghost in the machine.

But what about the professional criminal ?

Going about his criminal lifestyle, he works hard at being invisible, often hiding in plain sight, has money, access to a secret sub culture and a multitude of ways to migrate and disappear.

• For what its worth, everybody has spoken of the possible hardships ahead, lack of money and how difficult it is to be a ghost in the machine.

But what about the professional criminal ?

Going about his criminal lifestyle, he works hard at being invisible, often hiding in plain sight, has money, access to a secret sub culture and a multitude of ways to migrate and disappear.

You could be talking about the very rich capitalist there as well, Trippy!

Both parasites on society, hiding in plain sight....:reddevil:

• He was very, very naïve wasn't he- I don't know how he thought he was going to survive on his own in Alaska after a quick chat with a bloke who knew some stuff about killing animals and a plant ID book or two. I did wonder how long he would have survived if he hadn't found the bus, and since I'm assuming busses don't usually appear in the wilderness, what he had planned for his shelter!

I think we had a long discussion about this film some years ago. The film just made me very sad and quite agitated. At the time there seemed to be a lot of people who thought Chris McCandless was some kind of hero. It appeared he was lauded for following his muse, but there was a downside to this too. Jon Krakauer's book that prompted the film wasn't much more enlightening, though a later book (The Wild Truth) by his sister, Carine, seemed to put his life in a slightly different perspective.

• I wonder what prompted people to write books and make a film about him- did he leave a heap of diaries and notebooks? Apart from that, and having a lot of money at the start which he gave away, I'm sure lots of people have done similar things- although maybe not been quite as silly as

him!

Some time ago I read an interesting website someone had made, about their journey across America on horseback. They were fed up with their 9-5 office life so got rid of everything, bought a horse and set off. It sounded pretty fun, although I don't think I'd want to do that out there! Over here I could be tempted....in the summer....I don't think I could handle winter in a tent!

• Post by Lightbringer ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().