water under my laminate flooring

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Water has leaked from a pipe and seeped its way along my hallway, under my laminate flooring. [panic]

I can't replace it on the cheap, because that would mean doing the entire flat (60+ sq metres) --- the run starts in my hallway and goes back through the other rooms without any joining strip.

It doesn't look too bad as the hallway is quite dark, but I can definitely see the edges lifting a little when I look closely.

Can I do anything to save my floor? :eek:

• I had the same problem some years ago. I got a phone call from the police whenI was staying in London. Apparently water was coming out of my front door :eek: I got a mate to enter the property by taking a double glazed window out and turning off the stop clock. if you can “stop” the leak, lift some of or all of the flooring. Dry it or hire a dehumidifier. Most of the laminate can be saved. If not take out some house insurance and see how bad it can get :D

• It was a slight leak from a pipe, but I didn't notice it because of some boxes in the way -- tightened up the compression joint now though.

Over the last couple of weeks it's dripped down and soaked a small area of floor, but spread under the laminate into the underlay, thus causing it to warp in a couple of places further along the hallway.

Might be time for a long rug!

• If its still damp get a dehumidifier. If its no longer damp and the warping has already taken place theres not a lot you can do bar replacing it. Most laminate is quite resistant to damp.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• They're about 20cm x 120cm (guesstimate)

The problem is they're interlocking, and the damage is in the first part of the 'run' -- so, the only way to 'unlock' them would be to work backwards from the other rooms -- a hell of a task.

They're not damp on the top, but I suspect damp underneath, at the level of the underlay.

I think I'll need to source a dehumidifier to be sure.

• We had a chippie on site who lifted ours with a sharp wood chisel admitted we lost a couple of boards with him lifting and separating them.

Aldi sell good dehumidifiers I have a couple I use when there's a lot of condensation in my house.

I think I paid about £100 which is a lot of money but they work really well and are fairly cheap to run.

• I would rent a good “industrial dehumidifier” they all take electricity and it can take well over 7 days to dry out a room with a professional unit. They are big and noisy. But they do the job quick and could save lifting the floor all together. You may be shocked at the amount of water a good unit can lift in a hour, never mind a day. if you stop the flow of water, it’s time critical to save/avoid further warping/damage etc.

Rented dehumidifiers aren’t really that expensive to hire. Sometimes you can strike a deal too.