Corporate propaganda.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• On FB I frequently see postings in organic food being a waste of money. I also hear similar messages on the radio. What about breakfast cereals where you pay for air.? Not only is there air at the top of the packet but the contents are aerated. It is not as if breakfast cereals are an occasional luxury, ceremonial or recreation food.

• Most modern breakfast cereals contain as much air as the manufacturer can get away with, and cost a great deal more than porridge oats or basic muesli, which are much closer to a natural state.

This started way back in the 50's with corn flakes, and has gradually got worse since, with stuff like sugar-coated rice crispies and sugar-puffs leading the way. Massive advertising helped kids persuade their parents that this was the way to go.

• On a FB group Science, Critical Thinking and Skepticism I posted the aforementioned comment and my name and comment was removed , obviously hacked by corporate drones working for the agri-chemical industry.

• FB can be and is used for a lot of corporate propaganda. They were a bit slow to catch on at first, but then realised that a lot of people don't much question what they see on there.

"It's on FB so it must be true... Innit?"

• The world owes agri-chemical companies a living. It is their god given right to have a 10% increase in prices every years while commodity prices remain static. You don't have to go to business school to realise this is not sustainable.

• It intrigues me that many critics of organic certified fruit and veg believe in the free market. I also believe in the free market , so why not just let the free market decide? There are many products for sale in the supermarket that are of questionable value, not just breakfast cereals.

Getting back to breakfast cereals, cornflakes were the original "health food". Muesli is another "health food". It is not a traditional food. It only dates from the 1930s. Commercial muesli usually contains skimmed milk powder. I have strong doubts if it is ticks to the teeth nutritionally useful to anyone. Dried fruit sticks to the teeth and needs to be soaked to be bio -available. Maybe an expensive porridge could be made from muesli.

• Well, I don't call £1.20 for 1Kg of Morrisons' cheapest muesli expensive; no more expensive than oats, really. No dried milk, no sugar, and you have to check real careful to find any dried fruit at all.

We do oats with some muesli, which is morridge; oats with (soaked overnight) bulgar, which is borridge; and oats with just oats, which is porridge. If you're using wholewheat bulgar, it cooks quicker if you soak it on its own overnight, then add the oats and/or muesli the next morning.

• I'm amazed!

Do you know, I've never felt the slightest desire to do anything like that over a bowl of breakfast porridge; nor over a full English breakfast even, on the rare occasions I've eaten one.

Funny people, the Americans.....

• I dont do breakfast cereal, its all a sugar hit thats of little to no long term nutritional value.Just eat the packaging its more nutritious and just as tasty.

Natural Muesli Granola mixes you can make yourself from off the shelf ingredients,or eat Porridge or, dont bother.

If it needs massive marketing hype to get you to eat it its probably shite anyway.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

The post was edited 2 times, last by NomadicRT ().

• To be fair I think the biggest danger of corporate propaganda is the ploys they use to get consumers to voluntarily accept monitoring and surveillance into their lives.Its all done under the smokescreen of security and convenience. We're letting automated devices take over our lives Alexa Siri Cortana owned by Google Apple Microsoft respectively and happily allowing biometrics -fingerprint and iris reading-to be used to lock and unlock our personal devices and countless other options in the pipe.

I think the trick Mr Kellogg pulled will pale into insignificance compared to the elephant trap we are all voluntarily walking into.

Di occhi belli ne è pieno il mondo,ma di occhi che ti guardano con sincerità e amore, c'è ne sono pochi. :hippy:

• On FB I frequently see postings in organic food being a waste of money. I also hear similar messages on the radio. What about breakfast cereals where you pay for air.? Not only is there air at the top of the packet but the contents are aerated. It is not as if breakfast cereals are an occasional luxury, ceremonial or recreation food.

In the old days they used to have the Barrel shops, no air in boxes then, you could actually get a decent amount of cereal for your coin.

• Back in the 70's the local FOE group I was in ran a wholefood cooperative. All the stuff including cereals, was in sacks. You just weighed out a lb or a kilo of this or that into paper bags or carrier bags. Not a bloody packet in sight.

Now if I ever go into wholefood stores every damn thing is in a little packet, and expensive.

• I remember when " healthfood" shops sold margarine. These days high fructose corn syrup is sold in health food shops. Cornflakes were the original health food.

It is a totally meaningless term.