A note about the forum, database and the story so far...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I will be using this thread to post updates about the site...

The story so far, if anyone doesn't know.

A year or so back I got rid of UKHippy as its popularity had severely waned, and I was simply fed up with the ongoing negativity (admittedly some of it was mine). It isn't easy separating personal opinions from moderation, while trying to compete with social media and other websites etc.

I think I just needed a break tbh.

But, rather than sacrifice years of hard work (and years of contributions from members) I tried to re brand it as a site geared towards nomadic living (hence classifiedcampers.com)

The database was the same, the graphics were slightly different, the niche was more focused --- so after I swapped the name to 'classifiedcampers' I trimmed and merged a lot of content in order to streamline things.

Members who never ever posted got removed, and so did a lot of irrelevant content -- members who didn't like the new ethos were welcome to delete their accounts, and quite a few did. I did everything in accordance with the new GDPR laws.

Needless to say, the venture didn't work, I lost my own enthusiasm and was on the verge of killing it completely!

A couple of people convinced me to change my mind, and instead I have brought back UKHippy! :eek:

I think the break did me some good; it's given me a fresh set of eyes and I'm feeling positive about getting this moving again. I intend to keep this website as a positive experience the best I can.

However, restoring old content is going to take a bit of time.

Some of it is lost, but nothing important is lost -- so, old forums like 'The Lizard Lounge', 'Animal Welfare', 'Planet Earth' and so on will be back, but it'll take me a while to sift through old content and reorganise it.

I'm going to do my best to be as fast as I can with this, but please bear with me.

Costing

The site hosting is currently costing about £45 a month including VAT, domain registration, software licences etc. It rests on a UK based cloud server with a pretty high tolerance for forum software.

I'm not going to excessively nag people for donations, instead I will let people choose their own level of appreciation and support -- if you're happy then you'll tell me, if you're not then you'll tell me. A day at a time I will do my best.

If anything changes with the running costs I will let you know -- but I prefer giving people freedom to choose rather than charging a regular fee -- doing that in the Classified Campers 'project' never sat well with me - I want everyone to have a similar experience regardless of their means.

Moderation

I am currently the only person moderating and administering this site -- last time around the two remaining moderators abandoned ship without any warning and that's how its been since.

But, if the traffic builds up I may invite some people to help me; we shall see. My own values are about individual freedom and self-expression within a managed infrastructure (i.e. the forum layout).

I don't like heavy handed moderation and will avoid (as far as is practical) being overly dictatorial, so long as people play nice and don't try to deliberately disrupt the site or anyone else's enjoyment.

Bugs

There undoubtedly will be issues -- this site is cloth-eared, ragged around the edges and runs on fairy dust --- so if you find any issues then please use the suggestions and feedback forum rather than reporting them to me directly.

Welcome back; thanks for popping by :flowerpower:

• File Uploads

I've added some software settings to allow large file uploads -- originally I was worried about server space and bandwidth, but while that may be an issue in the future, it's more important that people can use this site more easily from mobile devices.

So now, if you have more than 40 posts (or have donated) you will be able to upload attachments of up to 4mb, that will be reduced in size by the forum software -- there's still a restriction on people with fewer than 40 posts, largely to encourage activity and also for member safety.

Other New Features

Since a lot of you last visited, I have added the ability to change your username (40 posts+) or even delete your account.

Also there is the ability to hide entire threads and forums from view (40 posts+) -- something especially helpful if you find a particular topic unhelpful or annoying.

I will update some instructions on how to use these features, along with anything I've forgotten, although you should be able to discover most of them by clicking around.

Support Forum

I appreciate people contacting me directly when they encounter issues, but it's much better for the community of people can use the Support Forum for problems.

In that way, if I find a solution, it will also help other people encountering similar problems -- or alternatively, members of the community may have the solution themselves if I don't get to answer immediately.

Right, I'm off to the seaside! :)

• Push Notifications for Smartphones

This will enable push notifications for Android and Apple Smartphones

WSC Connect is not a native app for UKH, but a useful tool to allow push notifications on an Android or Apple smartphone. This may help people while waiting for a native app to appear.

Simply download 'WSC Connect' from the relevant store (linked below).

Install it -> search for 'UKHippy' -> log in -> and the forum will appear in a container.

There are settings to allow vibrations, sounds etc. It isn't perfect, I can't offer support for any issues that may arise, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Click Below to visit the app / play store...

appstore.png

playstore.png

This will also allow you to connect to other forums that use the same software (Woltlab Suite), but because it's German forum software you may not find too many in English.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Experimental feature - pop up messages!

This is a bit similar to the feature on Facebook desktop sites (although FB were not the first website to do this).

It only works on a desktop at the moment -- I'm trying to enhance the system for mobiles, and perfect an "auto refresh" feature, but this may take a while to complete...

Anyway...

messages1.jpg

There's a notification sound you can turn off by clicking the bell icon...

messages.jpg

Some of the features are only present in the main messenger screen, but it's totally possible to swap back to the other system if that's what you prefer.